Artist Spotlight - Gene Chandler

Guest Baz

As part of a new feature 'Artist - Spotlight' where we can get some good historical background on certain artists, Discography's, label scans , sound clips, and any trivia surrounding the artist.

We'll kick it off with a well known artist who's recorded numerous hits, in the charts and for the rare soul scene, just add/discuss as we go along keeping it soulful and worthwhile, in future if any one has an artist they would like to see spotlighted, put one together or contact Shane and we can knock something up between the mods, if we can ask not to go over board with sound clips if you add one try and put some info and history behind the disc.

So with out futher ado we present the Duke of Earl.

Gene Chandler born Eugene Dixon On 6-July-1937 In Chicago, Illinois. Gene's career kicked off in 1962 when he topped the charts with his signature tune the Duke of Earl, previously record with the Chicago group The Du-Kays but failed to get any where, that is until VeeJay picked up on it and became a hit in 62 and stayed top of the charts for 3 weeks, still with Veejay Curtis Mayfield wrote Rainbow especially for Gene along with A Mans Temptation. Gene went on to sign with Constellation in 1964, where in 1966 he record what is properly one of his most well known songs (on the northern scene) I can take care of myself. Gene went on to record with Brunswick and dueted 'Teacher to preacher' with Barbara Acklin Through the 70's he recorded on Mercury, Curtom, 20th Century and Chi sound where he cut properly one of the best double siders to come out of the 80's? 'Does she have a friend?/ Let me make love to you'

So there's the intro lets have some Gene related discussion, your best tracks, not well known treasures, worthwhile lps, Gene C related memories , trivia both well and little known, odd connections, your best live performances from the man himself, current web info and any thing else you care to add....

Edited by Baz
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Like the sound of this new feature :lol: & what a great place to start. For me, alongside Jackie Wilson, the finest exponent of the Northern sound on the basis of quantity & quality !

I can't help much on the trivia but i will see if i can fish out one of his older tracks as there were some corkers that probably get lost amongst the later brilliant stuff.

Nice one mods :P

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me .#
good thread baz/mods,used to have a lot of
stuff on gene, including an LP gene chandler live at the apollo.
heres one on dave godins soul city,its fab

Social source share

As part of a new feature 'Artist - Spotlight' where we can get some good historical background on certain artists, Discography's, label scans , sound clips, and any trivia surrounding the artist.

We'll kick it off with a well known artist who's recorded numerous hits, in the charts and for the rare soul scene, just add/discuss as we go along keeping it soulful and worthwhile, in future if any one has an artist they would like to see spotlighted, put one together or contact Shane and we can knock something up between the mods, if we can ask not to go over board with sound clips if you add one try and put some info and history behind the disc.

So with out futher ado we present the Duke of Earl.

Gene Chandler born Eugene Dixon On 6-July-1937 In Chicago, Illinois. Gene's career kicked off in 1962 when he topped the charts with his signature tune the Duke of Earl, previously record with the Chicago group The Du-Kays but failed to get any where, that is until VeeJay picked up on it and became a hit in 62 and stayed top of the charts for 3 weeks, still with Veejay Curtis Mayfield wrote Rainbow especially for Gene along with A Mans Temptation. Gene went on to sign with Constellation in 1964, where in 1966 he record what is properly one of his most well known songs (on the northern scene) I can take care of myself. Gene went on to record with Brunswick and dueted 'Teacher to preacher' with Barbara Acklin Through the 70's he recorded on Mercury, Curtom, 20th Century and Chi sound where he cut properly one of the best double siders to come out of the 80's? 'Does she have a friend?/ Let me make love to you'

So there's the intro lets have some Gene related discussion, your best tracks, not well known treasures, worthwhile lps, Gene C related memories , trivia both well and little known, odd connections, your best live performances from the man himself, current web info and any thing else you care to add....

Awesome live ,Hinckley ,the place was packed, in the smaller room of the two, Chris King thinking everbody would have seen him at Morecambe. Cloak , cane and top hat kicking of with Duke of Earl, Got to shake his hand on the night. great night. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Let me make love to you - Gene Chandler - Chi- Sound

This is the record that totaly changed my mind about what is Northern Soul, it lifted the blinkers so to speak, Gene Chandler was the first artist that I actully tried to find 45s that were not played at the time, Which was no mean feat for a 17 year old and only Black Echoes & Blues & Soul to go on, No Internet in them days Unforunatly all the 45s have long gone Only MR big shot left, So If any ones got , A song called soul can they post it up Please

Ah,memories of Cleggy,the modern DJs laughin` at me,cause i was walkin` round with it in me hand,you`re not playin` that are ya`,coarse i am,you`re having a laugh mate,the rest is history :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Gene's Constellation version of "It's No Good For Me" (per Johnny Nash on Groove and Freddie North on R.I.C) is to die for. Can't post up an mp3, as I only have it on 45 and the turntable's upstairs while the computer's downstairs - so you'll just have to take my word for it!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fabulous thread - the sort of thing I joined soul forums for :shades:

Always loved - There was a time - Wanted it playing at my funeral to celebrate my life :thumbsup: Won't be for a long time yet though :ohmy:

My surname is after Gene too. Think everyone's heard There was a time, so won't post - had loads of probs when posting track in R & B this morning :thumbsup:

Karen

Social source share

I'd quite like a copy of Without You Here. PLEASE

Oh and I've kissed him....

And I have a photo of me and him together somewhere, when I was about 19

He is quite possibly my favourite male artist, but that maybe as I had his tunes played to me on an almost daily basis through my childhood.

Not a bad start to life eh?

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

So with out further ado we present the Duke of Earl.

cheers for this item it's really interesting I had a look on his own web site I do a weekly radio show I'm going to get a few things together and do a feature on him in a few weeks time on my show

leon

TALCUM POWDER SOUL WWW.GLOUCESTERFM.COM

EVERY WEDNESDAY 7PM TO 9PM

IN THE GLOUCESTER AREA 96.6FM

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert