Lee David ... Temptation Is Calling ... Blue Eyed ?

Sunnysoul

it said the same when advertising Aubrey Twins Poor Boy ............ despite there being a picture sleeve of two young black guys.

Don't forget he doesn't write all of the sales blurb but if you didn't know for sure you wouldn't mention it would you ?

& I have no idea re Lee David never having owned a copy & only hearing it when out which isn't always the best of time to form opinions :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've never heard it but I believe he had another release on Janus (hope I'm right). And I remember Rod Dearlove reviewing it in "Voices".

Rod never mentioned it sounding white. As I remember he said "forget his out of character stomper on Columbia". And then went on to call it fine Southern Soul. Gives our boy Lee abit more cred, doesn't it?

Social source share

Peter,  that's Lee Conway  , an Aussie country singer,  in the opening pic of the youtube video and not only that the music in that Gypsy Woman  video , is an acoustic guitar instrumental ... no vocal.  

And the vocalist on the Steely Dan Dirty Work cover sounds nothing at all like the  vocalist  on the Lee David Columbia release ... 

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

10 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

Peter,  that's Lee Conway  , an Aussie country singer,  in the opening pic of the youtube video and not only that the music in that Gypsy Woman  video , is an acoustic guitar instrumental ... no vocal.  

And the vocalist on the Steely Dan Dirty Work cover sounds nothing at all like the  vocalist  on the Lee David Columbia release ... 

My mistake. I think he's definitely white though. 

Social source share

Lee David 'temptation' always sounded white to me. And it sounds as poppy as it is soul music IMHO. The Janus up there is only soft pop-country stuff, never southern soul ! Not to worry though, as there are many black singers out there I don't bother to listen to and some white "soul" singers I dig at times... It's good information to know at times as it is interesting to know stories behind artists, songs and records.

Social source share

3 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Lee David 'temptation' always sounded white to me. And it sounds as poppy as it is soul music IMHO. The Janus up there is only soft pop-country stuff, never southern soul ! Not to worry though, as there are many black singers out there I don't bother to listen to and some white "soul" singers I dig at times... It's good information to know at times as it is interesting to know stories behind artists, songs and records.

How does Mr Manship know?  There are a lot's of Lee Davids.

And David Lee who produced Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long"!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

3 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Lee David 'temptation' always sounded white to me. And it sounds as poppy as it is soul music IMHO.

They said that about the MVP's. It turned out they where a mixture of the Combinations on Kimtone and Emory and the Dynamics on Peachtree!!!!

You couldn't get a better pedigree than that!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

14 hours ago, solidsoul said:

They said that about the MVP's. It turned out they where a mixture of the Combinations on Kimtone and Emory and the Dynamics on Peachtree!!!!

You couldn't get a better pedigree than that!!

Right on ! I never cared for either the MVPS or even Ann Sexton 'you've been gone too long' honestly. I still find to this day she has better materials. It's nothing to do with pedigree. Pedigree credits can add to something you like or make you think about it another way, but it can't do it all ! Listening to music with the ears tastebuds still comes first !

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Another Fab 'Northern'  track derided by the chin molesters as White Pop Crap........

Good job some of us like pop music. :D

Gaz. You beat me to it mate. The soul police have spoken. They want to rewrite the history of our lives. Who cares if Bobby Paris is white or Lee David or Dusty. 

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I do care and I really appreciate to see the artists pictures and their color on the pictures shows, most of the time that is. They kinda tell a story and I love that. By the way it's only my opinions given on the original question and I meant no offense to anybody's lifestyles, beliefs or personal and even universal conceptions, taboos or sacrements.

Not too long ago, I was thrilled as shocked to discover (through SS) the Promises 'living in the footsteps of another girl' video-clip to revive it for me more than ever. The same goes with a picture of the Martells featuring Clifford Russel on A-LA-CARTE I was once given !!! Works beautifully when these beliefs drop with facts. Kickin' life like an old tin can...

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Gaz. You beat me to it mate. The soul police have spoken. They want to rewrite the history of our lives. Who cares if Bobby Paris is white or Lee David or Dusty. 

Steve

As you previously referred to Ste, It was all so much better when we knew fook all!.

Remember on my 2nd or 3rd trip to Wigan 'It really hurts me Girl' was playing and the lad stood next to me said "Is this Crossover?". My serious reply was  "Not Sure - I thought it was the Carstairs?". :lol:

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Steve Foran said:

Personally if John Manship says something he is 99.9% of times correct.

Not looking for a fight I just think he is about the most knowledgeable Soul Man I know.

Just my view 

As I mentioned earlier Aubrey Twins ? Ok one example but he must have come across the picture sleeves in all his years of digging

Just saying :shhh:

Social source share

Anyway, John has been in touch......he didn't say Lee David was white in his review. So a storm in a tea cup of a thread about a record that is a piece of Gary Sherman brilliance.....ooh now Gary Sherman WAS white! Anyone fancy knocking his credentials?   

Here is the review""Not many things erck me within the joyous hobby of collecting Northern Soul 45s. But when puffed up self righteous collectors, label Northern Soul records as "Pop" base solely on the colour of their skin, previous or future recordings, it does kinda piss me off. For me and most other collectors not "blinkered" by the artist's name. Paul Anka's - I Can't Help Loving You - epitomises the Northern Soul sound, as does Charlie Rich's - Love Is After Me - a giant of The Memphis Sound, labeled "pop" because he had a pop hit in the 70s.. Let's thank the vinyl-Gods Lee David didn't have a "Pop-hit"... but if you delve passed the surface, you will see a common-denominators with all these stand out 60's Northern Soul dance tune. With Paul Anka & Lee David the great "Garry Sherman" is at the helm. Again proving it's not so much the singer but more a case of the guys in charge, who guide the artist to the sound they are seeking.. Jimmy Briggs sure guided Mr. David into the right direction on this NS Anthem, repeating his direction on the flipside too, huge potential for a surprise drop for the open-minded crowd. This NS Soul Classic listing, is a mere whisker off a Manship Mint!

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!