Why did it cease to be underground?

Kenb

Well…the ‘why’ is likely to be linked to the ‘when’, and the why is instinctively understood (if not documented) and can probably be summed up as easy access to knowledgeable information. Information that was once obscured in culture and tribal know-how (rarities’, values, memories, anecdotes, places, people, DJ’s, c/u’s, etc). Essentially, underground.

By the way, that knowledge is not, and has never been elitist, but you had to seek it out. In the same way that you would seek out your ancestry by visiting the local authority records office, the library, registrar, parish records, etc.  Genealogists were once considered underground, but now we can all be genealogists with internet platforms allowing access to data and knowledge.

So…when did NS surface from being underground. I think, once access to that knowledge was unleashed on the internet to the masses. Clues are everywhere: Discogs launched in 2000. The first YouTube video was April 23rd 2005.The first article I can find on [here] Soul Source is an article dated Sept 1st 1997 (maybe there is an earlier one in an archive).   

And so, as web sites and social media has grown, so has access to the vast amount of knowledge. Albeit access is done by some people that only have a self-serving purpose. On the other hand, good new soulies will have access to it also, and that can’t be a bad thing – because they’ll realize what’s been invested emotionally in the legacy for many years by so many people (and to be clear I’m not speaking of myself here, but those that did 100’s of all-nighters, brought back records from the USA, DJ’ed and promoted NS throughout their life, write about artists, labels, records. Many of whom are members here).

As for me, access has been very positive. There’s no way as a returnee I could have ‘picked up the threads’ without it. I’ve heard great records that weren’t played when I left. [It’s been like a blind man having his sight restored]. I can surf venue lists, buy records, bid at auctions, get tickets, discover scarcity & value, belong to community and seek opinion, plus the rest. I cherish the legacy, but given my age, I don’t think I’d be ‘back’ if it was all still ‘underground’.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Well…the ‘why’ is likely to be linked to the ‘when’, and the why is instinctively understood (if not documented) and can probably be summed up as easy access to knowledgeable information. Information that was once obscured in culture and tribal know-how (rarities’, values, memories, anecdotes, places, people, DJ’s, c/u’s, etc). Essentially, underground.

By the way, that knowledge is not, and has never been elitist, but you had to seek it out. In the same way that you would seek out your ancestry by visiting the local authority records office, the library, registrar, parish records, etc.  Genealogists were once considered underground, but now we can all be genealogists with internet platforms allowing access to data and knowledge.

So…when did NS surface from being underground. I think, once access to that knowledge was unleashed on the internet to the masses. Clues are everywhere: Discogs launched in 2000. The first YouTube video was April 23rd 2005.The first article I can find on [here] Soul Source is an article dated Sept 1st 1997 (maybe there is an earlier one in an archive).   

And so, as web sites and social media has grown, so has access to the vast amount of knowledge. Albeit access is done by some people that only have a self-serving purpose. On the other hand, good new soulies will have access to it also, and that can’t be a bad thing – because they’ll realize what’s been invested emotionally in the legacy for many years by so many people (and to be clear I’m not speaking of myself here, but those that did 100’s of all-nighters, brought back records from the USA, DJ’ed and promoted NS throughout their life, write about artists, labels, records. Many of whom are members here).

As for me, access has been very positive. There’s no way as a returnee I could have ‘picked up the threads’ without it. I’ve heard great records that weren’t played when I left. [It’s been like a blind man having his sight restored]. I can surf venue lists, buy records, bid at auctions, get tickets, discover scarcity & value, belong to community and seek opinion, plus the rest. I cherish the legacy, but given my age, I don’t think I’d be ‘back’ if it was all still ‘underground’.

You'll be debating this one till the cows come home.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Post-Wigan (before my time) the time I noticed NS go overground was mid-1990s with a series of well organized, bigger commercial nights (not niters) bringing in a younger interested general public just as older generation was coming back.   When I first got into NS as an evolution from the Mod revival it was back completely underground and very few nights to go to locally as a teenager in the 80s.    by the 1990s there was interest with the dance scene at its peak and some people outgrowing that and the internet certainly helped.   Soul Togetherness got going and it started to feel vibrant (if mostly oldies for a while).  I remember there being no internet, then a few email groups on Yahoo, then KeepingTheFaith group which became really big by which time we were into NS being a media go-to and the CD era really kicking in with the popular supermarket/car garage sold compilations.

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

If I may talk about my own experience, here in Italy northern soul is very underground. Although some people try to behave profesionally and up to the UK standards, it is a very unknown and obscure scene. But in my humble opinion, it all depends on the way one approches to it. Despite all the money one can spend on records and time in searching and digging, it all depends on the way you approach it. For as sofisticated and complicated it may be, it's still music and a way to enjoy one's self. Still classy and somehow elitist but yet it's all about enjoyment and having fun in a cool way

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's ceased to be underground twice (as mentioned previously) 74/5 with the likes of Pye disco demand, TOTP appearances etc then again in the mid 90s with a massive influx of returnees plus a lot of never were's of the same generation. Factors second time - TV adverts, cd compilations available in your local supermarket, the internet and  large promoting organisations who's  main concern is getting the maximum number of bodies through the door.

For an underground scene, its only been underground for about 40% of its total life approx 20 years out of 50 (65-74 and 79-95)

Of course there's still a true underground going to this day that the majority are either unaware of vaguely aware of, but thats another topic...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why did it cease to be underground ? Well because it got taken over by a "wave" of wanna bees underground and "some" promoters and other business people only had to jump on the wagon. Then the medias thirst for the normal "odd" everyday people have something "lite and funny" (unlike the real news of the world) to dish to the yobs, oh sorry I meant the readers. You also have those huge week-enders venues that are so far of the streets it just can't be underground anymore. I doubt it really has anything to do with a sort of passion for that music. Then if makes you wanna dance to. For manies, I believe it's most likely an artefact to go along with the rest like the clothes (all the same brands), the "group" (follow the leader) codes (need to belong) or the bike (with engine if you can afford the gas)... maybe, it's only a maybe, that is why...
Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!