Played Out Oldies

Drew3

played out oldies ,one of my favourite subjects, oh boy how people have the audacity to say records such as t.j. williams ,pat & the blenders and other recent discoveries are played out , when at many venues all you get crammed down your throat is a diet of frank wilson, epitome of sound, velvets,johnny caswell,williams & watson etc ,at least the more recent discoveries are a breath of fresh air to a scene thats fast heading the same way as the rock and roll scene. if the dinosaurs who constantly want to hear these same played out oldies opened thier ears and gave new records a chance the scene would be a much healthier place. if certain promoters had more balls and let the d.j's with new records play them instead of getting them to bow to the demands of played out same as, then we wouldn't be having this debate. finally if more d.j's didn't take the easy option and bottle it at the sight of an empty floor every now and then ,then the newer records would be more widely accepted :huh:

Good post... a sanitised version of what JT said :thumbsup:

P & Blenders has been overplayed in the last few years, whereas the second batch you mention became overplayed yonks ago... thats the difference.

Social source share

• Replies 279
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

===============

I will say they're two of my all time favourite players, but you're right I tend to focus on who's playing now. That's not to say I don't hanker for the glory glory days, or in particular that style of free flowing football :thumbsup:

I can understand constant references by any one person re: any particular venue from yesteryear, could be annoying, but if you haven't been there, IMO you're just making yourself look foolish, as you actually have no idea what you're talking about. To be fair to SS, I haven't noticed non stop references or threads purely to do with Wigan or anywhere else on a regular basis, have you? The other point, yes its 2006, but is there a nighter or soul night (northern orientated) anywhere in the world that doesn't play something that was first played at Wigan? Surely that deserves some respect.

Winnie:-)

I didn't mean on SS particularly.... I meant the constant nostalgic references at events.

No, there isn't an event that doesn't play tunes thst were broken at Wigan... but do we need to be constantly reminded? How many times do you hear DJ's say "Wigan biggie/stomper/oldie" etc, even when the record was first played at Cleggy? :yes:

Let folks judge a record on its merits.

Social source share

I didn't mean on SS particularly.... I meant the constant nostalgic references at events.

No, there isn't an event that doesn't play tunes thst were broken at Wigan... but do we need to be constantly reminded? How many times do you hear DJ's say "Wigan biggie/stomper/oldie" etc, even when the record was first played at Cleggy? :yes:

:unsure:

You say things abit more ettiquetly than me Dave :thumbsup:

And yes you dont hear Cleethorpes, shame it should be recognised alot more for the tunes it broke yes.gif

Social source share

Played out Oldies??

The link below is for 'Mary Fox's Northern Soul and Motown Show' on Radio Stoke

Have a butchers at the playlists!....... it reads like a Blueprint for many 'Soul-Nites' nowadays....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/article...w_feature.shtml

Nothing against the records (or radio station) but its just a perfect example of "played out oldies"

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Please could you all let me know what you consider as "played out oldies" (or overplayed if you're Stuart).

Pauline Shivers - Won't You Come Back Home - O-Pex

Just to say, absolutely superb record :yes:

I have this and if i DJ'd regularly i would certainly hammer it.

It'd be played-out/overplayed in no time. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

============

Don't people do that then? Don't think everyone leaps onto the floor just cos something was played at Wigan. In my experiene most people dancing either know the record, or it has something immediate about it. Not sure where 'my proposal' was broken, but first time I remember hearing it, was at the dome, think David Flynn played it, loved it straight away and danced to it. Don't personally think many people differ from that.

Initially thought you were on about references to the 'big venues' on SS, but see what you mean now. I've heard some very well respected DJ's say where a record is from, Detroit, Philadelphia etc and go on to say where and when it was first played. Doesn't particularly worry me, as long as they're not gassing over the tune :unsure:

Why do people put up playlists on SS? Cos it's interesting to some, same as it's interesting where and when a record was broken, and if somebody gives the wrong venue, they're normally corrected within a few posts.......really can't see a problem with it myself. :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup:

You say things abit more ettiquetly than me Dave :yes:

And yes you dont hear Cleethorpes, shame it should be recognised alot more for the tunes it broke :unsure:

================

I'm really confused by this Baz, I always took you for someone who liked to know the history of records, obviously I'm wrong. Your knowledge of records is far superior to mine, thats clearly come across when we've chatted, so how did you acquire the knowledge if you weren't interested?

Social source share

Played out Oldies??

The link below is for 'Mary Fox's Northern Soul and Motown Show' on Radio Stoke

Have a butchers at the playlists!....... it reads like a Blueprint for many 'Soul-Nites' nowadays....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/article...w_feature.shtml

Nothing against the records (or radio station) but its just a perfect example of "played out oldies"

==============

Footsie - Wigan's Chosen Few / Stolen Hours - Patrice Holloway / Breakin Down The Walls Of Heartache - Johnny Johnson / Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins / We're In This Thing Together - Peaches and Herb / Gone With The Wind - Rita and the Tiaras / Stormy - Supremes / Are You Ready For This - The Brothers / Don't Pity Me - Joanie Sommers / I'm In Love With You - Bobby Patterson / A Little Togetherness - The Younghearts / Gimme Some Lovin - Spencer Davis *Mod spot* / Soul In The Sun - Tommy Hunt * exclusive 1st radio play ever* / 6X6 - Earl Van Dyke / The Snake - Al Wilson / Just Can't Live My Life - Linda Jones / Give In You Just Can't Win - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell / Where Have You Been - Arthur Alexander / Don't Send Nobody Else - Ace Spectrum / Mr Pitiful - Otis Redding / Comfort Me - Carla Thomas

==============

Reproduced the first playlist for discussion. Granted a lot of those records have been played a great deal, but a blueprint for many soul nights? Where do you or anyone else hear the ones highlighted on a regular basis. I certainly haven't.

Social source share

==============

Footsie - Wigan's Chosen Few / Stolen Hours - Patrice Holloway / Breakin Down The Walls Of Heartache - Johnny Johnson / Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins / We're In This Thing Together - Peaches and Herb / Gone With The Wind - Rita and the Tiaras / Stormy - Supremes / Are You Ready For This - The Brothers / Don't Pity Me - Joanie Sommers / I'm In Love With You - Bobby Patterson / A Little Togetherness - The Younghearts / Gimme Some Lovin - Spencer Davis *Mod spot* / Soul In The Sun - Tommy Hunt * exclusive 1st radio play ever* / 6X6 - Earl Van Dyke / The Snake - Al Wilson / Just Can't Live My Life - Linda Jones / Give In You Just Can't Win - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell / Where Have You Been - Arthur Alexander / Don't Send Nobody Else - Ace Spectrum / Mr Pitiful - Otis Redding / Comfort Me - Carla Thomas

==============

Reproduced the first playlist for discussion. Granted a lot of those records have been played a great deal, but a blueprint for many soul nights? Where do you or anyone else hear the ones highlighted on a regular basis. I certainly haven't.

This is pop Northern for the Pxss heads and Handbag, Slappers. ranting_1.gif

Kev. P.s.I cant knock Linda Jones track

Edited by good angel
Social source share

============

Stolen hours, Stormy, Don't pity me, A little togetherness, Gone with the wind....pop? The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum yes.gif

Whatever genre you want to put them under one thing's for sure, they're all 'kin brill tunes imo!

Simon

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

HI Drew

As a promoter of the Fez an Oldies Only Venue my answer to this question is

If you put a record on the decks thats new!!! out of ten would get up and dance?

But if you put say a burnt out oldie on such as Frank Wilson Do I love, no matter what venue you are at out of ten would get up. I can only say there are 1000's of oldies records that are still played at the Fez there are four dj's on you might get a record played twice but not often so thats 100+ in one night some say same old same old songs but we like them and the floor proves that but if a venue or promoter are turning to cross the board policy then you would hear less of the oldies and more of the modern but i would not knock them because they are pleasing the other soulies

but burnt out oldies never i cut my first teeth on them

but Drew good question

dendog

Think you are spot on there ,but one thing to remember is its the punter who pays on the door that picks the 45's you play ,you can try to drop 1 or 2 things in a set to see if thay work,but a play list for a soul night would not be the same as a all-nighter

Social source share

==============

==============

Winnie.

IMHO the above is a typical 'type' of playlist that many venue's seem to follow nowadays, I would agree that the one's you have highlighted are not played everywhere (With the exception of Al Wilson), BUT if the likes of WCF were played at my local venue I doubt my reaction would be "Oh here's a great under-played oldie, I'm off for a dance"......... my reaction is more likely to be "OH-NO not again", I dont think thats being unfair, its just how many times have we all heard this stuff down the years.

I, like you think the 'Gone with the wind track' is a cracking piece of Northern Soul, but along with 'Stormy' (even more so) this was played out a few years ago in our area (N/W).

As said I have nothing against the above tunes, its just they are nearly all the usual 'Safe' sounds that we all know only to well, remember most venue's are only monthly so again using the above playlist as an example how many months would you have to wait?, and how much 'Same old' sounds would you have to listen to before getting to some of the better stuff?.

Why cant WCF, Al Wilson etc be replaced with a few 'under-played' sounds from Wigan, The Torch, The Wheel etc, etc, etc thats all I am asking!! :yes:

Or am I being unresonable?.....

Social source share

Winnie.

IMHO the above is a typical 'type' of playlist that many venue's seem to follow nowadays, I would agree that the one's you have highlighted are not played everywhere (With the exception of Al Wilson), BUT if the likes of WCF were played at my local venue I doubt my reaction would be "Oh here's a great under-played oldie, I'm off for a dance"......... my reaction is more likely to be "OH-NO not again", I dont think thats being unfair, its just how many times have we all heard this stuff down the years.

I, like you think the 'Gone with the wind track' is a cracking piece of Northern Soul, but along with 'Stormy' (even more so) this was played out a few years ago in our area (N/W).

As said I have nothing against the above tunes, its just they are nearly all the usual 'Safe' sounds that we all know only to well, remember most venue's are only monthly so again using the above playlist as an example how many months would you have to wait?, and how much 'Same old' sounds would you have to listen to before getting to some of the better stuff?.

Why cant WCF, Al Wilson etc be replaced with a few 'under-played' sounds from Wigan, The Torch, The Wheel etc, etc, etc thats all I am asking!! :hypo:

Or am I being unresonable?.....

===========

Agree they are safe, and agree that more underplayed stuff should get an airing, I've never advocated oldies only, but do accept some people prefer them. What I didn't agree with was describing Stormy, Gone with the wind etc etc, as handbag music. :yes:

PS. No you're not being unreasonable :lol:

Social source share

There have been many posts on these forums about 'list the played out oldie', which frankly seems crazy to me.

In many ways, the affection most of us have for the Northern Soul scene and soul music both past and present is no different to the fans of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis, Rockabillly and Blues etc. Each genre has its' fans, and with the execption of Northern, you don't hear cries of 'it's played out'.

This scene should embrace the music we all fell in love many years ago. Yes, continue to search for hitherto unplayed records and push the boundaries of the scene, but NEVER say a record is played out. It is why we are here today, it is why we first got involved in the scene. The Elvis, Beatles etc.fans never complain, they yearn for something new that can never be delivered.

We are part of a music culture that continues to find unplayed records from the past that fuel the scene even 30 odd years past its heyday. I don't care how many times I hear something, I know that 30 odd year ago it meant being skint, jumping trains, scrounging off mates, going without food etc, just to hear some of the 'played out oldies' of today. It was a rich period of discovery, a time when, if we are honest, most (if not all) of the greatest records ever played on the scene were 'discoverd'. We should be thankful, embrace and enjoy 'oldies' no matter how many times a record is played.

Social source share

There have been many posts on these forums about 'list the played out oldie', which frankly seems crazy to me.

In many ways, the affection most of us have for the Northern Soul scene and soul music both past and present is no different to the fans of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis, Rockabillly and Blues etc. Each genre has its' fans, and with the execption of Northern, you don't hear cries of 'it's played out'.

This scene should embrace the music we all fell in love many years ago. Yes, continue to search for hitherto unplayed records and push the boundaries of the scene, but NEVER say a record is played out. It is why we are here today, it is why we first got involved in the scene. The Elvis, Beatles etc.fans never complain, they yearn for something new that can never be delivered.

We are part of a music culture that continues to find unplayed records from the past that fuel the scene even 30 odd years past its heyday. I don't care how many times I hear something, I know that 30 odd year ago it meant being skint, jumping trains, scrounging off mates, going without food etc, just to hear some of the 'played out oldies' of today. It was a rich period of discovery, a time when, if we are honest, most (if not all) of the greatest records ever played on the scene were 'discoverd'. We should be thankful, embrace and enjoy 'oldies' no matter how many times a record is played.

============

Excellent post Jim :yes:

Social source share

The Epitome Of Sound must have been played at more or less every venue since it was first discovered in 73. And rightly so! There are probably only 3 or 4 better Northern records ever made. So no wonder people want to hear it and dance to it. I don't play my records very often byut when I do, I always play that...and Little Anthony...and maybe 30 or 40 more, but it'll always be the same ones I keep going back to because asically - they are the best records!

I CANT BELIEVE YOU THINK THERE ARE ONLY 3 OR 4 BETTER RECORDS THAN EPITOME OF SOUND....YOU REALLY SHOULD GET OUT MORE OR GO AND BUY SOME DECENT CDS

Social source share

Brilliant post that mate. Spot on!

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

There have been many posts on these forums about 'list the played out oldie', The Elvis, Beatles etc.fans never complain, they yearn for something new that can never be delivered.

BUT....... Elvis and Beatles fans dont have hundreds of 'Nigths' of their own every month to choose from!, and if they did I am dam sure even the most ardent fan of the above would get fed up listening to 'Love me Do' or 'Jail House Rock' at every single place they went!.

The great oldies will allways have a place but that does not mean we want to hear exactly the same ones EVERY month, not when there are hundreds of Ks worth of other quality N/S thats just waiting to be re-discovered IF only it was given the chance!!..

All of course IMHO! smile.gif

Social source share

================

I'm really confused by this Baz, I always took you for someone who liked to know the history of records, obviously I'm wrong. Your knowledge of records is far superior to mine, thats clearly come across when we've chatted, so how did you acquire the knowledge if you weren't interested?

Just read through the last few posts on this, Win i might have confused you, but not as half as im confused now biggrin.gif i've always been intrested in the history of records, supprisingly i cut my teeth on exactely the same records as most people did in the seventys, it was just the very very late 90's and with in 6 months of hearing the same 3 'wigan' tapes i was pissed off with hearing them and started my quest on finding more out about northern soul, and hear i am today, not much the wiser but there you go :thumbsup: and yes some of the records that were on them tapes were some i still regard as records i still love but wouldn't want to hear them out, woman, love theif (all though in the right atmosphere this still sounds good out), too late, too darn soulful, open the door to your heart.

Social source share

Just read through the last few posts on this, Win i might have confused you, but not as half as im confused now :thumbsup: i've always been intrested in the history of records, supprisingly i cut my teeth on exactely the same records as most people did in the seventys, it was just the very very late 90's and with in 6 months of hearing the same 3 'wigan' tapes i was pissed off with hearing them and started my quest on finding more out about northern soul, and hear i am today, not much the wiser but there you go :thumbup: and yes some of the records that were on them tapes were some i still regard as records i still love but wouldn't want to hear them out, woman, love theif (all though in the right atmosphere this still sounds good out), too late, too darn soulful, open the door to your heart.

============

Think we're going round and round in circles now. Dave said something about references such as 'this was big/broke at wigan', and said do we have to keep hearing them. Thought you agreed with him from your next post, "well put Dave" or something like that, which was why I was confused. The above is what I expected from you re: history thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Good post this, makes great reading, some good points too. All I'll say is lots of played out oldies out there (mainstream ones that is, dont need to mention their titles as most have already been mentioned on here already), but a lot of underplayed oldies too (wasnt there a thread on this before?), top of my head heres some I'd like to hear out now and again at some of the smaller venues I attend these days :thumbup: ...

I Love My Baby - International GTO's

The Stran/Outta Sight Loving - Little Stanley

Bands of Gold - Its Over

The Little Things - Misty Moore

Oh How I Love You - Little Johnny Hamilton

Chaumonts - Now Youve Gone

Shandels - I Got To Love Her

Wall of Sound - Hang On

Anything by Preston Peters!!

Marty Lewis - Cant Do Without You

.....and so on whistling.gif

Hats off to anyone who plays any of these :thumbsup:

Social source share

Chaumonts - Now Youve Gone

I've spun this out & about over the last 5 years i've owned a copy, good record i find to start a set off with as it's a no nonsense let's get dancing type of tune.

Only other person i've heard play it out was Nick Brown at Scenesville & that man has great taste!

Gene R has one for sale at a ton at the mo on this site, could think of a lot worse things to spend a ton on.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert