Patti Austin Didn't Say A Word

jam66

JM has a copy for sale in next week's auction. I bought a copy from Andy Simpson early 80's if I remember rightly. 

It was a single side demo but, as I remember it did not look too different to the copy John has for sale. 

I know George Carrow was pressed on a grey Columbia but had presumed that my grey demo was grey for the reason of being a demo. Anyone clarify the situation for me? Go easy you barbarians I spent most of the time on the dancefloor. :D

Social source share

14 minutes ago, jam66 said:

JM has a copy for sale in next week's auction. I bought a copy from Andy Simpson early 80's if I remember rightly. 

It was a single side demo but, as I remember it did not look too different to the copy John has for sale. 

I know George Carrow was pressed on a grey Columbia but had presumed that my grey demo was grey for the reason of being a demo. Anyone clarify the situation for me? Go easy you barbarians I spent most of the time on the dancefloor. :D

Grey was used on issues too, most notably the afore mentioned George Carrow and 8th Avenue Band,

seem to remember having Patti Austin on the red lable when I bought it as a new release, (poor mans Yvonne Baker at the time)

Social source share

2 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Grey was used on issues too, most notably the afore mentioned George Carrow and 8th Avenue Band,

seem to remember having Patti Austin on the red lable when I bought it as a new release, (poor mans Yvonne Baker at the time)

I'd got it into my head that the gey issues were boots. Ah well we live and learn.

Social source share

That's my confusion. Losing brain cells by the minute but would swear it was a single side grey demo of DSAW, didn't see it as a poor man's Yvonne Baker though and took it for a tenner which raised a couple of eyebrows but I thought it worth it at the time.

Social source share

I wonder what the order of the label design was around this time.

As far as I was aware, George Carrow was on the SOLID RED columbia first, then GREY (and the orange fade thingy later). George was before Patti.

High Voltage and Lou Edwards were on GREY and were after Patti.

Patti is in between George and HV/LE and on GREY and RED with the Columbia in the background.

Was it: -

1. Solid Red, Red with Columbia background, then Grey

or

2. Solid Red, Grey, and then Red with Columbia background

(p.s. - This anorak is a bit warm to wear in the house :D)

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

5 hours ago, bo diddley said:

I wonder what the order of the label design was around this time.

As far as I was aware, George Carrow was on the SOLID RED columbia first, then GREY (and the orange fade thingy later). George was before Patti.

High Voltage and Lou Edwards were on GREY and were after Patti.

Patti is in between George and HV/LE and on GREY and RED with the Columbia in the background.

Was it: -

1. Solid Red, Red with Columbia background, then Grey

or

2. Solid Red, Grey, and then Red with Columbia background

(p.s. - This anorak is a bit warm to wear in the house :D)

Almost 100% sure that the labels went in this sequence- Solid Red, Red with Columbia background, and then Grey.

At this time most Columbia demos were the A side in mono and stereo versions. Don't know why they would have 

released a single sided demo of the B side. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

28 minutes ago, the yank said:

Almost 100% sure that the labels went in this sequence- Solid Red, Red with Columbia background, and then Grey.

At this time most Columbia demos were the A side in mono and stereo versions. Don't know why they would have 

That order sounds logical to me. Also, it would mean my copy was before the grey.:thumbup:

Social source share

32 minutes ago, the yank said:

released a single sided demo of the B side

I agree, although I have seen some records where the apparent "B" side is the one that is issued as a demo. Prime example would be Bettye Swann -"The Boy Next Door" as the demo to "Kiss my love Goodbye" Although a quick Google search shows up both as demos!

But that's Atlantic.

Social source share

2 hours ago, the yank said:

That is the right order, but there was an awful lot of "crossovers" where both Solid Red and Red with writing alternated and were both used for many single releases. There was a similar mixed changeover from Red with writing and Grey.

If you look at 45cat site / Us Columbia and jump to page 110 and just clicking through the pages you'll see the labels gradually changing.

https://www.45cat.com/label/columbia-us/110

The last grey label I could find was on page 135

https://www.45cat.com/label/columbia-us/135

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!