Diana Or Martha?

Drew3

I always thought that Diana Ross was (is) a better singer of the two but that Martha Reeve's records fitted the scene much better, although you will hear much more of the Supremes about now.

What's your view (and not allowed to say neither)? :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mrs norman maine

I always thought that Diana Ross was (is) a better singer of the two but that Martha Reeve's records fitted the scene much better, although you will hear much more of the Supremes about now.

What's your view (and not allowed to say neither)? laugh.gif

KTF.

Drew.

:lol: I can't believe you need to ask! :P

Team Martha :huh:

Social source share

Always was Martha for those powerful sixties vocals. Although live wise her vocals went cabaret from the 70s onward.

Never lied Ross's solo vocals. Bot nowdays prefer listening to those early Supremes sounds that we totally overlooked in the early days.

have to agree with you on

this one :lol: love the early 60s supremes sound

russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What's your view (and not allowed to say neither)? :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Pointless post really, Drew - can't see you getting many pro-Diana votes here, mate biggrin.gif

TONE

PS: This is not a slag off of the Supremes, whose records I mostly love, whoever's singing lead on 'em...

Social source share

Pointless post really, Drew - can't see you getting many pro-Diana votes here, mate biggrin.gif

TONE

PS: This is not a slag off of the Supremes, whose records I mostly love, whoever's singing lead on 'em...

Allready got one vote for the Supremes,must be our deaf vewer :lol:

Social source share

I think Diana has a great and very interpretive pop voice (listen to 'Stormy'.... utterly fantastic!) and image, but when it comes to belting them out, its Martha all the way.

I was listening to 'I Can't Erase The Way I Feel' earlier and Martha just sounds great!

icanterasethewayifeel.mp3

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

I think Diana has a great and very interpretive pop voice (listen to 'Stormy'.... utterly fantastic!) and image, but when it comes to belting them out, its Martha all the way.

I was listening to 'I Can't Erase The Way I Feel' earlier and Martha just sounds great!

Absolutely awesome slab of Martha - what a voice, has always been one of my fav tracks, got it on that hiposelect CD (oops, not supposed to mention CDs on here are we, is that the soul police at the door ????)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I think Diana Ross was better when in the supremes (they cut the good stuff) when Diana went solo not so much the same and Martha would win out of them as solo but if you add supremes then yes Diana Ross and the supremes 1 - 0 Martha Reeves and the Vandellas (best thing they did record 3 of the greatest motown songs ever)

Social source share

Diana thumbsup.gif

Motown # 1 act not just cos of legover's. Martha bless her (and I know she's got soul). But those latter day tired old club singer performances don't stack up against Ms Ross imo. :P

What,Diana's latter day things like 'Chain Reaction & 'My Old Piano' :sleep3::shades:

I reckon that lucky 4-0 win has sent your head funny Simsy :D

Social source share

What,Diana's latter day things like 'Chain Reaction & 'My Old Piano' :shades:unsure.gif

I reckon that lucky 4-0 win has sent your head funny Simsy :P

Lucky? Or sheer class? You know the truth .. :sleep3:

Things like Stormy etc show polish of DR. Martha just lost it a bit vocally for me as time went on. Wasn't she institutionalized at one stage?

Social source share

Lucky? Or sheer class? You know the truth .. :shades:

Things like Stormy etc show polish of DR. Martha just lost it a bit vocally for me as time went on. Wasn't she institutionalized at one stage?

:sleep3:

Still 'Martha' for me every time thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Lucky? Or sheer class? You know the truth .. yes.gif

Explain institusionalized?,i`m sure she`ll be happy that you remembered this Simsy :D ,and my supreme Supremes as to be,"standing at the crossroads of love".

Social source share

Explain institusionalized?,i`m sure she`ll be happy that you remembered this Simsy yes.gif

2 results for: institutionalized

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source in·sti·tu·tion·al·ize (nst-tsh-n-lz, -ty-) Pronunciation Key

tr.v. in·sti·tu·tion·al·ized, in·sti·tu·tion·al·iz·ing, in·sti·tu·tion·al·iz·es

To make into, treat as, or give the character of an institution to.

To make part of a structured and usually well-established system: a society that has institutionalized injustice.

To place (a person) in the care of an institution.

insti·tution·al·i·zation (-l-zshn) n.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet - Cite This Source

institutionalized

adj 1: officially placed in or committed to a specialized institution; "had hopes of rehabilitating the institutionalized juvenile delinquents" [syn: institutionalised] [ant: noninstitutionalized] 2: given the character of an institution or incorporated into a structured and usually well-established system; "institutionalized graft"; "institutionalized suicide as practiced in Japan" [syn: institutionalised]

WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

:D

Social source share

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source in·sti·tu·tion·al·ize (nst-tsh-n-lz, -ty-) Pronunciation Key

To make part of a structured and usually well-established system: a society that has institutionalized injustice.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

institutionalized

adj 1: officially placed in or committed to a specialized institution; "had hopes of rehabilitating the institutionalized juvenile delinquents" [syn: institutionalised] [ant: noninstitutionalized] 2: given the character of an institution or incorporated into a structured and usually well-established system; "institutionalized graft"; "institutionalized suicide as practiced in Japan" [syn: institutionalised]

:D

So what you are saying then is she went to a Structure in America to buy a Heritage Dictionary to look up why Well Established Juvenile Delinquents go to Japan to Commit Suicide ? huh.gif

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Neither of them have great voices. Diana's is too shrill and Martha's never had any power.

Pete could you please stop it, thats twice today we have agreed, surely cant be good for my soul police credentials! biggrin.gif

Jock

PS Thats not to say they haven't made good records, some great records in Martha's case, just don't think either are the strongest singers. especially Ms Ross.

Social source share

institutionalized

wink.gif

Does it make her any less valid as a soul singer,so why mention it,not a positive thing to say about anybody,if you gonna` put a soul singer down,do it for there singing and not there mental state,lets face it theres more than odd the soul bod` that as been institutionalized on here at some point,and i`m sure they wouldnt like reminding all the time. and a lot of genious`s live on the edge of institutional madness,this bit is me,Simsy

Edited by ken
Social source share

Does it make her any less valid as a soul singer,so why mention it,not a positive thing to say about anybody,if you gonna` put a soul singer down,do it for there singing and not there mental state,lets face it theres more than odd the soul bod` that as been institutionalized on here at some point,and i`m sure they wouldnt like reminding all the time. Simsy

It doesn't make her any less valid as a soul singer. Her success came before the Supremes also. As I said earlier, some of her latter day performances lacked any of the power of her earlier one's. I felt perhaps all that she'd been through must have taken it's toll on her.

That was all. Not having a go and not anti Martha per se. I think she's fab.

That alright for yer ..?

Social source share

It doesn't make her any less valid as a soul singer. Her success came before the Supremes also. As I said earlier, some of her latter day performances lacked any of the power of her earlier one's. I felt perhaps all that she'd been through must have taken it's toll on her.

That was all. Not having a go and not anti Martha per se. I think she's fab.

That alright for yer ..?

Write what ya` mean then Simsy tongue.gif "now that we`ve found love" are we ok,i think she did a few good things on arista,not exactly 6ts,but compare to her ealier hits,i`ll post a couple later,maybe.

Social source share

Write what ya` mean then Simsy :D "now that we`ve found love" are we ok,i think she did a few good things on arista,not exactly 6ts,but compare to her ealier hits,i`ll post a couple later,maybe.

Marthas Camp for me

Love her stuff

Dianas persona and the tales of her sleeping her way to the top and her being a total diva put me right off her ...she comes across as a right biatch

Go Martha!

Mand thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Marthas Camp for me

Love her stuff

Dianas persona and the tales of her sleeping her way to the top and her being a total diva put me right off her ...she comes across as a right biatch

Go Martha!

Mand thumbsup.gif

Martha is who i meant Mandy,i`m firmly in the the same camp :D

Social source share

Martha is who i meant Mandy,i`m firmly in the the same camp :D

Hi Ken

I was a huge supremes fan way back in the good old 70's

But when I listen to their stuff now it seems quite samey

Diana got bigger and bigger and the group seemd to be further and further in the background .... they were a group then it became DIANA ROSS and the supremes

I still love the sound of Martha and the Vandellas...they have that certain something thumbsup.gif

Mand :wicked:

Social source share

Hi Ken

I was a huge supremes fan way back in the good old 70's

But when I listen to their stuff now it seems quite samey

Diana got bigger and bigger and the group seemd to be further and further in the background .... they were a group then it became DIANA ROSS and the supremes

I still love the sound of Martha and the Vandellas...they have that certain something thumbsup.gif

Mand :D

Ahem!.The Vandellas became MARTHA REEVES and the Vandellas.

Social source share

What's your view (and not allowed to say neither)? :rolleyes:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

What's your view (and not allowed to say neither)? :rolleyes:

KTF.

Drew.

Listening to some old Supremes tracks; it's clear that Diana has a very smooth soulful voice; however I prefer the more of Marthas music. No one there makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Martha every time. Look at some of the early vids, she had a fire and passion in her eyes! Ross, contrived, antiseptic, false. All that gasping and such, pre-arranged fake emotion on cue. thmbdn.gif Martha, natural and soulful :rolleyes:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Martha for me too.

And linking to the Jackie v Sam thread. I think the songs chosen for Diana were absolutley aimed towards the pop market, more so than the Vandellas songs. Not that Needle in a Haystack isnt a great pop song.

Diana for me came into her own when allowed to put her feelings into a song. Love Child is a great piece of soul. The live vocal of 'Someday we'll be together' on the 10 years of Motown Box set is absolutely lump in the throat super soul. But her finest hour IMO is in Lady Sings The Blues. I know some people dont like the whiney drawl she uses towards the end, but that was when Lady Day was ##### on drugs. Her voice on the songs when she was playing a healthy Billie Holiday is pure beauty.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert