Dena Barnes - These Heartaches

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

I've heard the stories that this isnt actually Dena on the record. And after listening to both last night I'd have to agree.

Does anyone have any idea who it is, and who arranged for the record to be made?

Was Duke Browner compensated in any way for the use of his music?

I still love the record, no matter who it is by. It was worth every one of the 5 pennies I paid for it at the Rednock School summer jumble sale. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

who did the awful vocal of Bok to Bach? and the person who did the Caroyln Willis That Beat'n Rythm abortion wants hanging up by his scrotum sacks and wipped with a broken vimto bottle.

any more fantastic NS instrumentals runind by some girl from Worksop?

Edited by PaulDonely
Social source share

who did the awful vocal of Bok to Bach? and the person who did the Caroyln Willis That Beat'n Rythm abortion wants hanging up by his scrotum sacks and wipped with a broken vimto bottle.

That wouldn't be sufficient punishment Paul - Vimto gets sold in plastic bottles these days........

Hey - has anyone noticed that Vimto is an anagram of Vomit? And SU DO KU is an anagram of U DO SUK? wink.gif BTW, please don't ask about the rude anagrams you can get from Exus Trek!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

any more fantastic NS instrumentals runind by some girl from Worksop?

The Carolyn Willis was I believe a Soussan jobbie which he probably had every right to do as he legally obtained the rights to the Mirwood catalogue .... or so we are led to believe.

Nobody had to buy it & anybody who did needs their head examined……………… whistling.gif

I did :lol: , in my defence it was the mid 70s, I was almost young & my ears hadn't developed properly & it was a blind buy on the strength of the backing track

Social source share

Was on about this Dena Barnes track on Saturday and its definatley not her on vocals. If I remember it was some unknown female singer who recorded this awful screeching mess over a Duke Browner backing track in the 70s.Its rubbish.

By the way does anyone have any info on Dena Barnes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Was on about this Dena Barnes track on Saturday and its definatley not her on vocals. If I remember it was some unknown female singer who recorded this awful screeching mess over a Duke Browner backing track in the 70s.Its rubbish.

By the way does anyone have any info on Dena Barnes, it would be greatly appreciated.

RUBBISH ranting_1.gif:lol:

Social source share

She was last known to be living in Detroit, but that's some time ago. I have tried to locate her a couple of times and have two leads left to explore. When I inteviewed Harry about her he said that he remembered at least 3 or 4 Browner produced tracks that were "in the can" when he collapsed Impact/Inferno. All in the next Issue of There's That Beat!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

I've heard the stories that this isnt actually Dena on the record. And after listening to both last night I'd have to agree.

Does anyone have any idea who it is, and who arranged for the record to be made?

Was Duke Browner compensated in any way for the use of his music?

I still love the record, no matter who it is by. It was worth every one of the 5 pennies I paid for it at the Rednock School summer jumble sale. thumbsup.gif

Ive got this and love the b-side but have to agree with Craig that she sounds like she's being strangled, slowly over a spit!! I was told this record was specially put together for the mod scene. But it does'nt sound like Dena.

Social source share

It's another Soussan jobbie from '77, as was "These Heartaches" - not put together for the mod scene but for the Brut-soaked stompin' masses :yes:

Hippo.

If I remember correctly it was around 77/78 when Soussan sent over the colored vinyl bootlegs too. Lydia Marcelle, Shirley Mathews, Checkerboard Squares, etc. I think the Dena Barnes AND the Del Satins were booted by him, but passed off as "authentic different versions" Can anyone confirm that "pb" is also Soussan? I was told trecently that it was but I'm not so sure.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Carolyn Willis was I believe a Soussan jobbie which he probably had every right to do as he legally obtained the rights to the Mirwood catalogue .... or so we are led to believe.

He had no right to do anything of the kind - SS did NOT have any legal deal with Mirwood, any more than he did with Audio Arts, Modern or any of the other West Coast labels whose backing tracks he regularly corrupted with alternate vocal performances or overdubbed string sections. However if you're using "legally obtained" as a euphemism for "stolen" in this case, you might well be closer to the truth than I could possibly comment on... :yes:

At least Carolyn Willis (formerly of the Honey Cone) was a bona fideartist, although whether or not it's actually her on the record I couldn't remember, it's been at least 30 years since I last heard it. Anyone like to post up a soundclip to refresh my memory?

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Truth is stranger than fiction, the person responsible for this recording has been to Bilston many times :yes:

and is wasn't me before people start adding two and two together and coming up with five

Come on then Dave spill the beans ,who was it?

Is it the bloke who sells the Express and Stars on the stand just outside the indoor market?

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Just played this and thought why suffer alone?

Col :lol:

Can someone slow it down to the correct speed..... :thumbsup:

This was recorded in Bilston :D

remember this being very big for Russ etc, covered as Al Kent..... :)

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hey - has anyone noticed that Vimto is an anagram of Vomit? And SU DO KU is an anagram of U DO SUK? :thumbsup: BTW, please don't ask about the rude anagrams you can get from Exus Trek!

And SUBARU virtually say's . . . U R A BUS backwards. Says a lot about those cars with an exhaust system of a bus. :)

Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert