DARRELL BANKS AMERICAN BANDSTAND SHOW?

Venus

Hi...I was reading through some of the old threads and came across this one & a couple on the net? My question isn't about the record but each of them state that Darrell Banks appeared on American Bandstand? Does anyone know who started this please? Do they have any evidence to back it up? I have an e-mail from Jeff James who is in charge of all Dick Clark's Footage and he says there is no record of it on any of the shows but if I could get an exact date besides the year then he will dig deeper into the archives and see if it does exist...Thankyou.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/314938-darrell-banks-open-the-door-to-your-heartour-love/?page=12

Also on the net?

the guardian.com

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jun/27/souls-holy-grail-why-the-rarest-record-in-the-world-is-causing-so-much-fuss

soulwalking.co.uk

https://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Darrell Banks.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Revilot Records only released one more Banks 45. The A-side “Somebody (Somewhere Needs You)” reached No. 34 on the R&B charts and No. 55 on the pop charts. Banks gigged regularly on the Midwestern soul circuit, did American Bandstand and supported Jackie Wilson.

Adam Stanfel is a freelance writer. Contact him at letters@metrotimes.com.

ricky

Social source share

Just now, trickbag said:

Revilot Records only released one more Banks 45. The A-side “Somebody (Somewhere Needs You)” reached No. 34 on the R&B charts and No. 55 on the pop charts. Banks gigged regularly on the Midwestern soul circuit, did American Bandstand and supported Jackie Wilson.

Adam Stanfel is a freelance writer. Contact him at letters@metrotimes.com.

ricky

Thank you Ricky...if I can get confirmation of a definite date of American Bandstand then like I've already said Jeff James will dig deeper and try to locate it ...wouldn't it be great to see him in action eh? :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest trickbag
5 hours ago, Venus said:

Thankyou once again Ricky...There are a lot more that appeared on that show than what is on that list...here is a site with a better listings:

https://www.tv.com/shows/american-bandstand/episodes/

Hello Venus,

I hope you are able to find something. At one point, I was very interested (obsessed?) in his whole story and records of Darrell. A few years ago, I checked that website and others for listings of artists appearing. I looked at each and every week of the Bandstand shows!!

I didn't find any mention of Darrell.

I came to the conclusion that if he did appear, it may have been some sort of "walk-on" part, just to say hello and mention his next release. So, perhaps he was on after Revilot 201 was released and before 203 or one of his other releases came out. He didn't have that many. Possibly even the release of one of the album's. I think I read somewhere that he may not have been the most approachable character!

Good luck,

Kev Bod

(p.s. - I did like the footage of Broken Heart Attack you came up with) 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, bo diddley said:

Hello Venus,

I hope you are able to find something. At one point, I was very interested (obsessed?) in his whole story and records of Darrell. A few years ago, I checked that website and others for listings of artists appearing. I looked at each and every week of the Bandstand shows!!

I didn't find any mention of Darrell.

I came to the conclusion that if he did appear, it may have been some sort of "walk-on" part, just to say hello and mention his next release. So, perhaps he was on after Revilot 201 was released and before 203 or one of his other releases came out. He didn't have that many. Possibly even the release of one of the album's. I think I read somewhere that he may not have been the most approachable character!

Good luck,

Kev Bod

(p.s. - I did like the footage of Broken Heart Attack you came up with) 

Thankyou Kev...When I first read that Darrell appeared on American Bandstand I got all excited but when I enquired at Dick Clark Company they said 'No record of him on any of their shows?' so I started this thread in trying to get more information as to where that originally came from and if they had any evidence to back it up? I know some artists aren't listed on that site but do exist in footage :) and Thankyou once again about 'The Sweet' clip...Hy-Lit have had some 'rare' groups on that show that I would never have thought we would get to see!!. Can I ask if your a collector? or was it just Darrell Banks that you had the interest in?

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Venus said:

Thankyou Kev...When I first read that Darrell appeared on American Bandstand I got all excited but when I enquired at Dick Clark Company they said 'No record of him on any of their shows?' so I started this thread in trying to get more information as to where that originally came from and if they had any evidence to back it up? I know some artists aren't listed on that site but do exist in footage :) and Thankyou once again about 'The Sweet' clip...Hy-Lit have had some 'rare' groups on that show that I would never have thought we would get to see!!. Can I ask if your a collector? or was it just Darrell Banks that you had the interest in?

Hello Venus,

Unfortunately, I contracted the Record Collecting Virus many years ago!! I do have lucid periods when I am able to control the urges, however, it usually flares up again. I'm finding that a combination treatment of current high prices and being a tight-wad seem to be helping.

Cheers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

i'm betting it was a similar tv show but not actually bandstand & over the years people have copied the misinformation

you could be right Kris...I'm digging through several show listings that I can think of in the mean time.

Social source share

I don't  think Banks ever appeared on AB. I'm pretty sure Revilot would have produced promotional material mentioning it  which would be out there somewhere. What's more likely is that one of his record featured on their "Rate A Record" section.  E.g. as did The Precisions, If This Is Love.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 9/2/2016 at 09:22, Kris Holmes said:

i'm betting it was a similar tv show but not actually bandstand & over the years people have copied the misinformation

I suspect THIS is the case.  I'm sure he appeared on "Swingin' Time", and I think he was on one of the national shows, like "Shivaree" or "Shebang", or maybe one of the syndicated shows like "The Lloyd Thaxton Show" or Jerry Blavat.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I found this link on the internet...interesting to see that 'open the door to your heart' is called 'walk right on in' in the report? on another site it said that tune was legally called ' Baby walk right in' is that true??

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TjkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA52&dq=darrell+banks&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjarZT1l_vOAhVBKcAKHTjnDQUQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=darrell banks&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Banks

Social source share

On 9/5/2016 at 07:26, Venus said:

Thankyou I thought possibley Swingin' Time hence searching Robin Seymour....USA seems to have had quite a few of these kind of shows? Would have loved to have seen more of the Clay Cole Show but I was told only one episode survived??

I think "Where The Action Is" is still a good bet since it was affiliated with Dick Clark Productions.

"Shindig" and "Hullabaloo" would be two other good sources.

Good luck with the Darrell Banks clip- would love to see it!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, the yank said:

I think "Where The Action Is" is still a good bet since it was affiliated with Dick Clark Productions.

"Shindig" and "Hullabaloo" would be two other good sources.

Good luck with the Darrell Banks clip- would love to see it!

Hi there and Thankyou but I've just received confirmation in an e-mail from Dick Clark Company last night that there is no record or footage of Darrell Banks appearing on any of their shows :( in the mean time have e-mailed other companies. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!