Interesting charity shop find, Pamala Stanley Canadian?

JIMMY SOUL

Found a copy of Pamala Stanley "That'll Be The Day" in the local charity shop this morning, which was a decent start to the day and utterly bizarre cos I never really find much in them, wading through James Last records - but anyway I noticed it says on the label (see images below) it was manufactured in Canada.

I've seen it described as a "German only" 45 issue - it was recorded in Germany at least, but I've not to my knowledge seen this label/ pressing variation before with the "manufactured in Canada", and can find no record of it online. As far as I can establish, the LP didn't appear to have a Canadian release, although I can't be certain - it's very poorly documented to be fair, so I thought I'd ask on here - does anyone have any further information about this?

Cheers,

Jim

Pamala Stanley (2).jpg

Pamala Stanley (3).jpg

Social source share

50 minutes ago, John Benson said:

I've read somewhere about it existing on a Canadian 45, but for the life of me can't think where I saw it .... Sorry, not much help I know!

I get the feeling it's a rare 45, but I really have no idea due to the lack of documentation I've turned up so far - you have confirmed there is some information out there to be found, so I will keep hoping! Cheers!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, jim g said:

There is indeed - however that is the known German one... the text on the label is arranged in different places e.g. the track time of 4.57 is beneath the EMI America logo (at 3 o'clock) on this copy on Popsike, whereas if you look at my label above, the "Time: 4.57" is above it... various other things are different too, not least of all the addition of "manufactured in Canada".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well the LP this track was lifted from escaped in at least 3 countries (US, Germany & Japan) PLUS her EMI America 45 before this one (the LP's title track -- "This Is Hot") was released in at least 9 countries [US, UK, Australia, Spain, Holland, Germany, Belgium, Portugal & Japan (?)]. Her earlier US 45 release was #8022 back over there.

The daft thing is, that neither of her earlier releases in Germany were on EMI America, they were on other local EMI label's; EMI Electrola & EMI itself.

... ALSO ... the numbering system utilised on the above 45 is NOT the German system (see attached 45 scan), it was put out using the EMI America US numbering system .... I.E. # 8001/2/3/4/5/ etc.  

However, EMI America was an active label in Canada in 1979 where at least # 8007/ 9 / 12 / 15 / 19 / 30 were put out there. I guess the only complete set of 45's utilising the # 8001/2/3/4/ numbering system is in the USA itself (though maybe a copy of #8033 failed to escape in the US whilst that number was used abroad).  VERY STRANGE.

WilsonPickett46.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Benji said:

The one on Popsike isn't a german press, it's US (from what I remember). It was recorded in Germany, that's correct.

I stand corrected - thanks for that info - I presumed that copy on Popsike (although it's on EMI America, and to all intents and purposes looks like a US issue) was a German only press, as this seems to be the commonly held belief.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Roburt said:

Well the LP this track was lifted from escaped in at least 3 countries (US, Germany & Japan) PLUS her EMI America 45 before this one (the LP's title track -- "This Is Hot") was released in at least 9 countries [US, UK, Australia, Spain, Holland, Germany, Belgium, Portugal & Japan (?)]. Her earlier US 45 release was #8022 back over there.

The daft thing is, that neither of her earlier releases in Germany were on EMI America, they were on other local EMI label's; EMI Electrola & EMI itself.

... ALSO ... the numbering system utilised on the above 45 is NOT the German system (see attached 45 scan), it was put out using the EMI America US numbering system .... I.E. # 8001/2/3/4/5/ etc.  

However, EMI America was an active label in Canada in 1979 where at least # 8007/ 9 / 12 / 15 / 19 / 30 were put out there. I guess the only complete set of 45's utilising the # 8001/2/3/4/ numbering system is in the USA itself (though maybe a copy of #8033 failed to escape in the US whilst that number was used abroad).  VERY STRANGE.

WilsonPickett46.jpg

Thanks for your input into this - so it appears there were other releases on the label using the 8000 catalog numbering system, released in Canada round the time of 1979... interesting! That's one step closer! 

Social source share

Doesn't mean anything. There's a seller on here who repeatedly states a certain record is "german only release" however it's actually a dutch one.

I saw a better quality scan of the auctioned record, it wasn't a german release.

Compare the label design of the Wilson Pickett 45 posted here to the design of the Popsike one. You'll find many differences, even given the fact the Popsike scan is of low resolution.

And then there's the numbering system different to other german releases etc. etc. bla bla bla.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!