Imho The Greatest Ns Jock Of All Time

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Baz, maybe they really like that same 26 records that Tony always plays.

I mean it's such a pain when a DJ is unpredictable and plays something different.

:D

laugh.gif thats funny, and then on top off that its, " yer right um yes" and a load more

dribble in between records. 1 hour spot, 5 records played!!! :D god we are right bitches

nothing better to do on a sunday night, except listening to solar radio! i like him really blush.gif

Social source share

I said Jock not collector though I would suggest you have a look through his boxes you would be truly amazed at what he has kept...

No disrespect to the fella or owt like that, but i personly dont rate him as a jock (plus the fact he's not scottish whistling.gif ) i can go to any soul night up and down the country hearing some one playing the same tunes.

Social source share

No disrespect to the fella or owt like that, but i personly dont rate him as a jock (plus the fact he's not scottish whistling.gif ) i can go to any soul night up and down the country hearing some one playing the same tunes.

serious question in the last 12 months how many times have you heard Tony Dellar spin???? name the venues Baz.

Social source share

I said Jock not collector though I would suggest you have a look through his boxes you would be truly amazed at what he has kept...

Paul, I've known Tony for 35 years and would say it was mostly down to him that I got into NS in the first place and wouldn't want to upset him because I respect him for the huge contribution to the scene he made in and around Cambridge where I lived from 1970 to 2001.

I agree that he's got some really nice stuff in his box.........trouble is he doesn't ever try to be progressive and play something different.

No offence meant to anyone but the "go out once in a while oldies crowd" might love his spots because they're memory evoking but personally I just wish he'd give some of his other records an airing.

whistling.gif

Social source share

serious question in the last 12 months how many times have you heard Tony Dellar spin???? name the venues Baz.

twice i think, LEL and some where else.

Wouldn't the greatest jock be spinning every week :thumbsup:

Social source share

twice i think, LEL and some where else.

Wouldn't the greatest jock be spinning every week :thumbsup:

Wouldn't the greatest jock be spinning every week :yes: ? I have no idea what his personal diary is like Baz however you have, as you tend to do take comments out of context.

He is in my opinion the grearest northern soul jock of all time why? phew how long ya got, he has personality, he mixes with everyone, he's done it for years, he has some truly wonderful records some of which are shit rare. However because he is so approachable he does get asked for requests considerably more than most, he understands that those that pay the money deserve to be entertained, and for that he is imo, I repeat the #1.

I've been jocked with him five times this year and trust me he can produce the goods if the venue allows him too eg Stamford Soul Night and the recent Fleet bash. He's old school but without the blinkers and when he does jock which on average is once a month he bloody well makes sure that a majority of the crowd go home with a smile on their face, sore hands and aching legs....what more do ya want?

Social source share

to be honest djs like tony dellar are one of the reasons i stopped going to local soul nights if your happy hearing the same 50 records played over and over and want to live in a time warp of 30 years ago thats fine but to me the rare /northern soul scene as always been about progressing and wanting to hear something differrent. there are literally thousands of good 60s and 70s records that have only recieved minimul plays .

in my opinion the one dj who has been the mainstay over the last 20 years is without a doubt mark dobson (butch) his ability to find and play good quality soul records is head and shoulders above the rest

Edited by tony parker
Social source share

Wouldn't the greatest jock be spinning every week :thumbsup: ? I have no idea what his personal diary is like Baz however you have, as you tend to do take comments out of context.

What have i took out of context :yes:

You said he's the greatest jock of all time, i completely disagree, whats so out of context about that :yes:

Social source share

You stick to dancing Win...........There's less politics on the dancefloor.

:thumbsup:

==============

Thing is Pete, reading posts on this thread, and others similar, I keep hearing about underplayed this, and reactivate that and DJ's playing the same 50 records etc. But isn't the truth, DJs aren't playing anything different because basically at sometime or other virtually every record has been given an outing. It then comes down to an individual DJ's taste as to what he/she plays again.

Social source share

What have i took out of context :thumbsup:

You said he's the greatest jock of all time, i completely disagree, whats so out of context about that :yes:

===============

Playing devils advocate to a degree, if you've only seen him DJ twice this year, how do you know he's playing the same records all the time?

Social source share

What have i took out of context :thumbsup:

quite right, my apologies.

Social source share

to be honest djs like tony dellar are one of the reasons i stopped going to local soul nights if your happy hearing the same 50 records played over and over and want to live in a time warp of 30 years ago thats fine but to me the rare /northern soul scene as always been about progressing and wanting to hear something differrent. there are literally thousands of good 60s and 70s records that have only recieved minimul plays .

in my opinion the one dj who has been the mainstay over the last 20 years is without a doubt mark dobson (butch) his ability to find and play good quality soul records is head and shoulders above the rest

Tony I'm with you all the way however my posting was about the arte of DEE JAYING not what some boring bastard has in his box :thumbsup: .

Imo the scene as you describe it is now virtaully on its knees with age creeping up on most of us it never ceases to amaze me how those that still do it actually do it!

If I had the choice of going to doo on the same night where the play lists would be unusual 60's or 70's or Moses Smith I'd pick the first option every time however if I had the choice of going out with some mates and the wives either to a function where 45 people would turn up and nod there heads in approval to Anthony and The Delsonics or the Magentics or The Brooks Bros or joing 600 odd having a really good time reminiscing, a few beers a laugh and boogie and some good ole fashioned Northers Soul atmosphere then I guess it would be the second option, I guess its who ya with on that night.

Cya on Nov 17th spoke to TR....sort ya tickets out they're going fast :yes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

give the man a break he does his best but i always liked Smudge as the DJ. However if i was an old fart or maybe i can dream i would imagine it's 1975 and Paul Donnerly is the best DJ.

I could change my fav DJ if i get round the UK to spot other DJ's i not know.

Still the sad bit is there has been Brian Rae here lately who plays CD's yeah i know he plays my all time fav tune Jackie Wilson - Open The Door To Your Heart on cd but maybe next time he would enjoy playing it from my very own higher and higher LP (hate to brag that i own it, now let me look for the track on Australian EP)

Social source share

give the man a break he does his best but i always liked Smudge as the DJ. However if i was an old fart or maybe i can dream i would imagine it's 1975 and Paul Donnerly is the best DJ.

I could change my fav DJ if i get round the UK to spot other DJ's i not know.

Still the sad bit is there has been Brian Rae here lately who plays CD's yeah i know he plays my all time fav tune Jackie Wilson - Open The Door To Your Heart on cd but maybe next time he would enjoy playing it from my very own higher and higher LP (hate to brag that i own it, now let me look for the track on Australian EP) [/quote

the best d.j

on the scene has to be soulsam been around since 68 and still encouraging the die hards who are for the scene's progression to dance to new tunes be they 60's 70's 80's along with butch there the business because they have the balls too do what the rest of the scene's d.j's are affaid to do and thats empty a floor from time to time playing records that deserve the same status as the same played out classics :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wouldn't the greatest jock be spinning every week :lol: ? I have no idea what his personal diary is like Baz however you have, as you tend to do take comments out of context.

He is in my opinion the grearest northern soul jock of all time why? phew how long ya got, he has personality, he mixes with everyone, he's done it for years, he has some truly wonderful records some of which are shit rare. However because he is so approachable he does get asked for requests considerably more than most, he understands that those that pay the money deserve to be entertained, and for that he is imo, I repeat the #1.

I've been jocked with him five times this year and trust me he can produce the goods if the venue allows him too eg Stamford Soul Night and the recent Fleet bash. He's old school but without the blinkers and when he does jock which on average is once a month he bloody well makes sure that a majority of the crowd go home with a smile on their face, sore hands and aching legs....what more do ya want?

Nice guy Tony , always have a chat with him and his wife.

Booked him for the Lel one night and thinking that he will get the Peterborough and Cambridge crowd in, my lowest ever turn out :lol: .

So Kept away from 100% oldies ever since

Social source share

solrry paul, have tol dissagree with ya...butch is top man....20 years of discovering new sounds, no one else comes close to the man, tony deller might be your buddy, but the best northern d.j. ever ??? come on, your'e havin a laugh

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert