Beanos Closing Down

Blake H

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just found out Beanos (in Croydon) Britains biggest second hand record shop is closing, I spent many hours in Beanos at the Surrey St shop and got many many great records there, (Welcome to Dreamsville SS/R&W DJ) etc etc. So it may be a good time for a little early Christmas shopping.

https://www.beanos.co.uk/pdfs/closingdownupdate.pdf

BH

I blame the central zone,i used go before the zone,not a fukcin hope now,and the weekend are for allnighters,not traveling to the other side of London.

Social source share

How much is an all zones Travelcard Ken? think of all that vynil thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

BH

Dont do em` no more,got to use a oyster card,and i cant run a car and pay puplic transport,take ages to croydon :huh:

Social source share

It's not too surprising they're shutting down. That miserable old git upstairs who used to scowl everytime you asked for more than 7" crate to look through, was enough to stop anyone going in.

Save yourself a journey everyone. Overpriced & nothing worth buying. In 15 years of going in, the only thing I ever found was Anna King LP for £10

Social source share

Save yourself a journey everyone. Overpriced & nothing worth buying. In 15 years of going in, the only thing I ever found was Anna King LP for £10

But...........as the link says new stuff brought from store everyday. The real goodies were never in the shop but in the warehouse in my experience, I asked for Larry Saunders "On the Real Side" London but asked if they had a demo, Ray the long haired bloke made a phone call and said call back in a couple of days, The demo was £7 and issue was £4, so I reckon some goodies are still down there. they didn't have much idea about 70s to present day soul anyway only things in the books.

"If you dont look, you dont find"

BH

Social source share

It's not too surprising they're shutting down. That miserable old git upstairs who used to scowl everytime you asked for more than 7" crate to look through, was enough to stop anyone going in.

====

what about memory lane records

got all my rare red atlantics from there (apart from the wilson picket one,,,doh!!)

Social source share

Beanos isn't actually closing

The current owner is selling up lock/stock/barrel but it will continue as a record shop in the future

There is currently a big sale on at the moment - very attractive discounts - a couple of mates visited last Saturday and found a fair few bargains - though you have to wade through an awful lot of chuff

Col

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Its a real shame. Spent many a saturday afternoon in there while my better halfs trawls the shops. Bit overpriced and the long haired bloke is a bit of a smarmy git, but still sad as it's a great record shop.

the one good thing about croydon..............gone.

Memory lanes a good little shop, the fella and his mussius are always helpful.

Social source share

I blame the central zone,i used go before the zone,not a fukcin hope now,and the weekend are for allnighters,not traveling to the other side of London.

The central zone? Its outside London!

20 minutes from Victoria on the train.

I've had Errol Dixon 'The Hoop' for £6.00 and Teddy Randazzo 'You're Not That Girl Anymore' for £3.00 out of there in two visits over two years !

Social source share

This closing down sale is going to run and run, they've got to empty the warehouse they have before it does.

I have been told that the cream of the stock has been put aside for the future.

Still well worth a look if you get a chance.

Derek

Social source share

The central zone? Its outside London!

20 minutes from Victoria on the train.

I've had Errol Dixon 'The Hoop' for £6.00 and Teddy Randazzo 'You're Not That Girl Anymore' for £3.00 out of there in two visits over two years !

Yep!!,your right...........but i live the opposite side,have yer` tried driving round it during the day, thumbsup.gif ,i know where Croydon is,i got my divorce from there thumbsup.gif bargain too!!.

Social source share

The most overpriced record shop I have ever been to in my life,well above book on anything northern soul in any guide ,record collector,manships,tim browns complete waste of space, this is like your local shop closing down for a refit massive sale prices taking prices down to what they should have been in the first place,they thought they cornered the market on anything rare uk,the internets got it now thumbsup.gif try memory lane reasonable & knows his stuff thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It was a great hunting ground before they got on the internet.

Had three Timi Yuro's out of there over the years, last one Ray let me have for £60 about 3 years ago. Great bloke Ray, collects phone cards, talked to him for hours about those things thumbsup.gif

Tommy found a mint Scotts on swingers, & a mint Your my mellow in there a couple of years ago for next to nothing.

Nothing much left in the warehouse now, mostly thousands of chart records, but it was good while it lasted.

Social source share

They did have some nice UK Motown LP's (Which I collect thumbsup.gif ) but they were always top price. I bought a few of the MFP stuff from there on a couple of visits too.

What do they mean by "The Internet isn't our style" ? - that's a bit pompous to be honest. Bet they slowly put the stock on eBay.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Well- I was there 3 weeks ago the day they started their sale and everything they had priced was half price- They have ageezer eho knows about 70s stuff.

I got the following :

Wanting you April Stevens -UK MGM issue

Gene Chandler - Just be true - Stateside demo

Barbara george - I know - London demo

2 Irma thomas Liberty demos

Gene Chandler - Im a fool - stateside demo

Jnr Walker - How sweet it is Tamala Red & white demo

Jeanette White - Music Yellow and black demo

Johnny Jones - purple haze London demo

Little Milton - bet you i win Stax demo

Freddie Scott - Am I losing you London Demo

Plus lots more so didnt do to bad

Social source share

The most overpriced record shop I have ever been to in my life,well above book on anything northern soul in any guide ,record collector,manships,tim browns complete waste of space, this is like your local shop closing down for a refit massive sale prices taking prices down to what they should have been in the first place,they thought they cornered the market on anything rare uk,the internets got it now :thumbsup: try memory lane reasonable & knows his stuff blush.gif

Well it all depends on when you go as to what you'll find. I got 2 copies of Vivian Reed for £6.50 each (sold one for £125), Harry Deal & Galaxies £10, Devons £12, Solars £12 and loads of other stuff all in the past 4 years. Got a UK London Darrell Banks demo for £400 on the same day I got a James Phelps on Apache and Fiats on Universal for £4 each from Memory Lane so not so sure he knows his stuff either!.

Social source share

£6.30 or if you don't require Zone 1 you can get a Zones 2 - 6 for £4.30. The fare increases are all Ken's fault, that would be Ken Livingstone. :wicked:

Again they dont do em` anymore thumbsup.gif ,and that fukcer Livingston,should go get another first name :thumbsup:

Social source share

Again they dont do em` anymore :wicked: ,and that fukcer Livingston,should go get another first name :thumbsup:

I think you'll find that they do. You can only get a one day travelcard on a paper ticket. If LUL staff say they've loaded it onto an Oyster card, they are lying! They would have just loaded up an amount of credit on PrePay. This (PrePay) isn't valid on Trains to Croydon, in fact it isn't valid on hardly any national rail service. Trust me I've charged many a person £20 for these reasons. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I think you'll find that they do. You can only get a one day travelcard on a paper ticket. If LUL staff say they've loaded it onto an Oyster card, they are lying! They would have just loaded up an amount of credit on PrePay. This (PrePay) isn't valid on Trains to Croydon, in fact it isn't valid on hardly any national rail service. Trust me I've charged many a person £20 for these reasons. thumbsup.gif

Wont bother :shhh: anyway ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert