Construction - Hey Little Way Out Girl - Acetate

Rudzy

Picture_001.jpg(post-2754-1160573340_thu

Anybody tell me anything about this one please.

the label states Audio Devices Inc, Glenbrook, CT. USA.

This i bought of a Collector from Liverpool in the 80's and he swore it was deffo the real McCoy.

certainly sounds nice...

Anybody?

Thanks

Rudzy

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello Rudzy , the writing on the label looks exactly like Richard Searling's , wonder if it's an acetate that he had cut before selling the original to that guy from Weymouth for [ at the time ] mega bucks ? Just a thought , Best Wishes ,Eddie

Nice one Eddie,

good to hear from you, if richards on here maybe he can confirm.

keep in touch buddy

rudzy

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Picture_001.jpg(post-2754-1160573340_thu

Anybody tell me anything about this one please.

the label states Audio Devices Inc, Glenbrook, CT. USA.

This i bought of a Collector from Liverpool in the 80's and he swore it was deffo the real McCoy.

certainly sounds nice...

Anybody?

Thanks

Rudzy

could be a US blank cut in the uk - is it one sided?

Social source share

Hello Rudzy , the writing on the label looks exactly like Richard Searling's , wonder if it's an acetate that he had cut before selling the original to that guy from Weymouth for [ at the time ] mega bucks ? Just a thought , Best Wishes ,Eddie

BRIAN DONKIN from Poole, I think Eddie was it £600 ???? cica 1979

thiink i was on £60 a week !!!

Social source share

Hi Eddie,

Funny you should say about this. I was just looking at the scan, it looks like the hand that has written the info on this one, is similar to an Audiodisc acetate of True Image - I'm not over you yet, that I had a few years ago. Think it was an 8" acetate?

Regards,

Ady.

Social source share

could be a US blank cut in the uk - is it one sided?

mark,

theres something on the other side, but i ain't got a clue what it is some pop record...

That's definitely Richard's writing and it's about as authentic as my male vocal of Thats No Way To Treat A Girl

so you think its richards old copy aswell

Social source share

i wonder why he had it cut in the states?

Hi Rudzy,

He would have had them cut over here, but used old blanks from the States.

In the case of yours, I would guess he found an acetate that had been cut on one side only, with a pop tune from what you've said, then had the Consruction cut on the blank side.

In fact this rings true with the one I had, as on one side they had attempted to cut the True Image track, but it comes to an abrupt stop half way through. This would be because the cutting needle broke, probably caused by the Shellac having hardened with age, most probably because the blank was a few years old. So they had to flip it & re cut it on the other side.

Ady.

Social source share

I ended up with his copy of Flame N King and the writing on the sleeve is identical mate, honestly

Wow Mr. Smith!

You've got a very well trained brain. I bought the 45 and the sleeve from you about 3 or 4 years ago and you can still remember. Yes the writing some kinda looks the same.

cheers, Martin

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Hi Rudzy,

He would have had them cut over here, but used old blanks from the States.

In the case of yours, I would guess he found an acetate that had been cut on one side only, with a pop tune from what you've said, then had the Consruction cut on the blank side.

In fact this rings true with the one I had, as on one side they had attempted to cut the True Image track, but it comes to an abrupt stop half way through. This would be because the cutting needle broke, probably caused by the Shellac having hardened with age, most probably because the blank was a few years old. So they had to flip it & re cut it on the other side.

Ady.

Thanks for the input Ady,

It does kinda look good on US acetates rather than the UK emi discs,

during the 70's i was cutting emi's every week at Dereks Kettering Base.

recently i remember Kev Draper mentioning that he preferred to have his emi's done in New York for that extra buzz.

Pete Lawson was fond of cutting emi's aswell...

Social source share

The handwriting analysis is very helpful but we really need more evidence to wrap this case up. Get some good fingerprints or DNA, then we can put this guy away for a long time.

Agent Mooney

FBI Headquarters

Washington

DC

Social source share

The handwriting analysis is very helpful but we really need more evidence to wrap this case up. Get some good fingerprints or DNA, then we can put this guy away for a long time.

Agent Mooney

FBI Headquarters

Washington

DC

very good mate, made me laugh
Social source share

Have you heard 'My Heart would sing"? It's a bizarre little ditty - starts off like a fairly twee pop song then goes kind of funky garage. It's miles less commercial than Hey Little Way Out Girl, and as it's the official 'A' side it's no wonder it didn't sell on release.

Unmistakeably the same band though. White or not I really like the lead voice and the girly back-up is sweet. :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

From what i can make out its called "Stay" - dont think its the same people as on the a side tho

Hi Mate

It is Richards old copy, remember him getting cut when he sold it. He sold a bunch of stuff to him and got most of them cut onto dubs before he sent them out.

Audio disc blanks were very common over here in the 70's. Many of the cutters used them as they were much cheaper than UK blanks even with shipping. Also it was very common to keep down cost and use discs that already had a pop record on the other side. Ian Clark used to use a cutter in London that picked up old disc round the markets that only had one side used and cut onto these. I have a few he got done for me way back then with pop and reggae flips.

Dave

Social source share

Hi Mate

It is Richards old copy, remember him getting cut when he sold it. He sold a bunch of stuff to him and got most of them cut onto dubs before he sent them out.

Audio disc blanks were very common over here in the 70's. Many of the cutters used them as they were much cheaper than UK blanks even with shipping. Also it was very common to keep down cost and use discs that already had a pop record on the other side. Ian Clark used to use a cutter in London that picked up old disc round the markets that only had one side used and cut onto these. I have a few he got done for me way back then with pop and reggae flips.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave - Much appreciated.

There's nothing quite like the aroma of a Freshly cut acetate, the forerunner to Glu sniffing(if you know what i mean) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert