Unreleased JJ Barnes coming soon

Guest johnny hart

Roberto Moss ,you little tease! J.J.Barnes intro sounds like Detroit Motown,but then ..,reminds me off JJ,s early stuff on Rich and Kable ,particularly "My Love Came Tumbling Down" written by Don Davis ( CDs exist of these early items including Rich ,Spar ,Nashville items in which Berry  had a hand) . Am I getting Warm? Finally despite all hyperbole its a wonderful piece of Real Deal Northern Soul ,so much better than the pretend stuff being purveyed by many N.S. dealers.LOL Soapy Suds Espana.

Social source share

1 minute ago, conchitta said:

Roberto Moss ,you little tease! J.J.Barnes intro sounds like Detroit Motown,but then ..,reminds me of JJ,s early stuff on Rich and Kable ,particularly "My Love Came Tumbling Down" written by Don Davis ( CDs exist of these early items including Rich ,Spar ,Nashville items in which Berry  had a hand) . Am I getting Warm? Finally despite all hyperbole its a wonderful piece of Real Deal Northern Soul ,so much better than the pretend stuff being purveyed by many N.S. dealers.LOL Soapy Suds Espana.

These 2 cuts don't sound at all to me like J.J.'s Kable/Rich Fred Brown/Joe hunter recordings.  These are much too new sounding.  The first sounds very much like a Don Davis Groovesville recording.  And the second sounds newer, more like an early '70s recording.  But how could a Groovesville cut have escaped being found among the Groovesville tapes that were "discovered' near the beginning of the 1980s, and summarily made available on cassette tapes for the NS market?  I'm sure you all remember those.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Not on any of Timothy's Groovesville/Goldmine ,archives many volumes,Tricky.  Contempo., Perception ,Cast offs ? Confusion Pours! 

Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

These 2 cuts don't sound at all to me like J.J.'s Kable/Rich Fred Brown/Joe hunter recordings.  These are much too new sounding.  The first sounds very much like a Don Davis Groovesville recording.  And the second sounds newer, more like an early '70s recording.  But how could a Groovesville cut have escaped being found among the Groovesville tapes that were "discovered' near the beginning of the 1980s, and summarily made available on cassette tapes for the NS market?  I'm sure you all remember those.

The second sounds like perhaps just before the Perception album?

Social source share

On 22 June 2016 at 16:34, Mick Holdsworth said:

Always thought the first track was Melvin Davis - Lucille. I must have got my wires crossed. Great tune

Mick, i think the Melvin Davis is another version.The JJ seems to have more punch in the bass line,...but then again ive only heard Lucille at all nighters.........maybe John Weston,Callum Simpson can confirm.?

Social source share

1 hour ago, KevH said:

Mick, i think the Melvin Davis is another version.The JJ seems to have more punch in the bass line,...but then again ive only heard Lucille at all nighters.........maybe John Weston,Callum Simpson can confirm.?

Kev - I've got a perfect "Melvin Davis" recording right here - it's the identical recording, there may be a miniscule difference in the leveling, either by Hayley for its pending release, or by myself on my recording, but it's clearly the same.

Cheers
Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Kev - I've got a perfect "Melvin Davis" recording right here - it's the identical recording, there may be a miniscule difference in the leveling, either by Hayley for its pending release, or by myself on my recording, but it's clearly the same.

Cheers
Mick

Is it really.? It must be the hayley recording. Such good quality,sounded to me quite different,but like i said...at an all nighter can sound different off a carver.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!