Don Gardner

Spanner

• Replies 50
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just back from mr manships ,looking through a ex dj s records loads of pop ,hidden there was a copy of cheating kind sedgrick 3001 ,what a find ,some people have all the luck ,think it will be on is auction this week :shades:

Really?

No other soul in there.... sounds a little mad to me....

Wouldn't have thought anyone would have had something like that and not known what it was.

But hey... nowt queerer than folk...

Social source share

Just back from mr manships ,looking through a ex dj s records loads of pop ,hidden there was a copy of cheating kind sedgrick 3001 ,what a find ,some people have all the luck ,think it will be on is auction this week :shhh:

Hard to believe aint it :shades:

Bazza

Social source share

just on the subject of don gardner, what price for " is this really love" cedric, would like

one of these myself ph34r.gif

russ

depends on label design 3002 and 3003

3 diff labels

1 red and black rarest of the 3

2 yellow with diff layouts

Id say £100 - 200 max

have seen at £250 but overpriced IMO

not too hard to find either

Social source share

is this another copy that has surfaced then as there was a thread on here saying that there was only 4 or so copies known in the country when joe dunlop was selling a copy that he had for £8000 ?

Its on is auction now for 33 days ,so you lucky people get bidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shhh::lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Its on is auction now for 33 days ,so you lucky people get bidding !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):)

JUST NEED TO SELL THE FAMILY TO A CHINESE ORGAN DONOR CLINIC AND I'LL GET BIDDING...........CAN THINK OF BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH A FEW GRAND....PERHAPS A WEEKEND ON THE WELSH RIVIERA WITH A SLAP UP FISH SUPPER :rolleyes:
Social source share

depends on label design 3002 and 3003

3 diff labels

1 red and black rarest of the 3

2 yellow with diff layouts

Id say £100 - 200 max

have seen at £250 but overpriced IMO

not too hard to find either

NO WAY!

£300 for either issue is reasonable these days.

Social source share

andy are you saying that

SEDGRICK...Cheatin Kind was only £2 initially :lol::lol::D:(

or are you thinking aboot the CEDRICK.. :lol: .45 Is this really love..

Back in the late 70s, John Anderson was selling the Sedgrick 45. The first batch was sold at £2 each. The later batch sold at £50. John obtained them from Vanleer in quantity, 25 -50 - 75 copies, who knows? Thing is its like so many records, they dry up. Take Will Collins on Bareback, back in 1980 everyone had a copy, they were £3 a pop from the record bar at St Ivo alldayers, and they had hundreds of them!

Maybe the Don Gardner in the box of unrelated stuff at John Manships might have been a harmless joke or tease by him, and although he and I have had our differrences in the past, I will say this, that he does find some amazing 45s!! even if many of them have originated from the hands of John Anderson some 30 odd years ago.

Social source share

Back in the late 70s, John Anderson was selling the Sedgrick 45. The first batch was sold at £2 each. The later batch sold at £50. John obtained them from Vanleer in quantity, 25 -50 - 75 copies, who knows? Thing is its like so many records, they dry up.

I heard that same story from Adey Pierce many years ago. Have absolutely no

idea if this is correct or not. Obviously it's a pretty hard record though, if people are

willing to fork out £8000 for a copy :lol:

CB

Social source share

soul bowl definately had quantity of is this really love - cedric , john always listed the other side tighten up you love bone which was usually on his list for a £1.

in the mid 80s there was only 3-4 known copies of cheatin kind - clive jones -birmingham

had one tony clayton and myself the 4th one was in south wales . i sold mine in 1990 to gary spencer for £2000 which was the most a soul 45 had fetched at the time. it seems a few more a have turned up in the last few years .

Edited by tony parker
Social source share

Guest uroffal

soul bowl definately had quantity of is this really love - cedric , john always listed the other side tighten up you love bone which was usually on his list for a £1.]

Certainly did - remember buying it early '80s from there blind

Social source share

strange how it came to be autographed by the man

wonder where and when that was done

Obviously a wind up. DG didn’t even knew he had made the record until recently and fist laid his hands on a copy in 2003; his appearance at Prestatyn in 2003 would have been the first time a copy got signed, although he was back again in 2004.

Unless someone thought, I’m off to Prestatyn and DG will be there so I’ll get him to sign one of my DG collection; don’t want to devalue any of my expensive stuff, so I’ll put the Wanders and Tru Glo Town outings etc back in the box and get this orange soul pack one signed.

Sadly the person dies of hypothermia and a cold cure over dose at Prestatyn and their partner, Ernie, eventually gets their personal belongings back. Being a pork pie addict, they decided to venture to Melton Mowbary and kill two birds with one stone: trade said record and collection of pop classics for £50 to JM, John’s feeling sympathetic for thier plight and gives them a tenner for the records, bur never opens the record box- two dozen huge pork pies were purchased.

About three years later, Ernie is clearing out their dead partners things to go to the charity shop, when unfortunately one of the stale pork pies they purchased falls down from the shelf and caught him in the eye and he bites the dust.

As they say the rest ‘is history’ until a couple of weeks ago………..

Social source share

Obviously a wind up. DG didn't even knew he had made the record until recently and fist laid his hands on a copy in 2003; his appearance at Prestatyn in 2003 would have been the first time a copy got signed, although he was back again in 2004.

Unless someone thought, I'm off to Prestatyn and DG will be there so I'll get him to sign one of my DG collection; don't want to devalue any of my expensive stuff, so I'll put the Wanders and Tru Glo Town outings etc back in the box and get this orange soul pack one signed.

Sadly the person dies of hypothermia and a cold cure over dose at Prestatyn and their partner, Ernie, eventually gets their personal belongings back. Being a pork pie addict, they decided to venture to Melton Mowbary and kill two birds with one stone: trade said record and collection of pop classics for £50 to JM, John's feeling sympathetic for thier plight and gives them a tenner for the records, bur never opens the record box- two dozen huge pork pies were purchased.

About three years later, Ernie is clearing out their dead partners things to go to the charity shop, when unfortunately one of the stale pork pies they purchased falls down from the shelf and caught him in the eye and he bites the dust.

As they say the rest 'is history' until a couple of weeks ago...........

:lol:

Social source share

soul bowl definately had quantity of is this really love - cedric , john always listed the other side tighten up you love bone which was usually on his list for a £1.

in the mid 80s there was only 3-4 known copies of cheatin kind - clive jones -birmingham

had one tony clayton and myself the 4th one was in south wales . i sold mine in 1990 to gary spencer for £2000 which was the most a soul 45 had fetched at the time. it seems a few more a have turned up in the last few years .

Hi

I think anything is possible regarding Soul Bowl. Somewhere in the Loft I still have most of my Groove City/Soul Bowl lists with my frantic scribblings on them which were done while quickly walking to the phone box before Soul Bowl opened that morning.

Having visited Soul Bowl as well, a few times, the amount of quality stuff I've witnessed up for sale was astounding. Even the Soul Packs £3 FOR A 100 had amazing records in. During one of my trips, John said, listen to these and put "Not Me Baby" The Silhouettes - The Steinways on Oliver - and a few more in front of me. A Little Joe Roman - "When You're Lonesome" Tuff DEMO was spinning on the deck at the time, which someone else had just bought.

I remember John getting a quantity of Giant Label "What Can I Do" Stock copies - Described as from Lorraine Chandlers Garage if my memory serves me right & a small quantity of white label test pressing's of "Cool Off" signed by "Popcorn Wylie".

Eula Cooper "Let Our Love Grow Higher" on the list one week, that was in small quantity, all Mint and just mentioned on the Main List a little more expensive than the others (At The Time)

When I used to phone up and was told "I'm off to the States" OR "John's in the States at the moment" - It was time for me to put even more overtime in at work. - Happy Days.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

You have to be of a certain age to remember groove city 15 portland st . kings lynn

I agree that the amount of records john was bringing in during the 70s anythings possible

but usually anything he had quantity of was on is list cheap £1 - £5

although he did have imperial c s - phila and lee mckinney /magnetics -keep holding on on the £1 specials page in the late 70s .which were unknown at the time . ive still got most of the lists from 1974 to about 83. and looking at them now the amount of quality rarieties for under £20 is unbelievable. if only we knew then :lol:

little eddie taylor - £7 joseph moore £12 lester tipton £40 montclairs - arch £20

the list is endless

the best buy i had although i didnt know it at the time was a al williams - la beat white demo £35 that was in 1980.

Other things like donna coleman was always £4 , tony hestor on karate must have had loads of them readily available for a £1 for months , there was quantity on ty karim - lighten up - romark that record was so easy to get for years for a quid how it commands such prices now amazes me. not to be confused with lighten up baby - caramel which was £15

Edited by tony parker
Social source share

To set the story straight. I was the first DJ to own the Don Gardner "Cheatin Kind" I bought it off John Anderson in 1975/76 for £3. I remember it well because the same day he charged my £60 for Andre Maurice - You're The Cream Of The Crop.

Cheatin Kind was a one-off for quite some time, I then sold it on to Ian Levine for £3 at Manchester Ritz all dayer in 76/77 as a one-off. When I sold it it was still a one-off but it was a dancefloor flop!

To suggest it was around in quantity is totally ridiculous. Jimmy Vanleer in 1976 when I was in Chicago for the first time, certainly had no copies.

I think everyone is confusing " Tighten Up Your Love Bone" which was around and sold cheaply.. The flipside of Cheatin Kind is "What Now My Love"

Cheatin Kind is rare..there's no denying it. To compare Will Collins rarity in the same paragraph as Don Gardner is frankly, laughable .

Social source share

So it is rare than Will Collins, I thought I was right.

Social source share

Obviously a wind up. DG didn't even knew he had made the record until recently and fist laid his hands on a copy in 2003; his appearance at Prestatyn in 2003 would have been the first time a copy got signed, although he was back again in 2004.

You're right Simon, was lucky enought to watch rehearsals when Don first came over, Andy Dyson, Mick H and myself had dinner with Don and Lou Pride after and Andy showed Don a copy of Cheatin Kind, it was the first time he'd seen it and he said he didn't even know it had been released.

Social source share

To set the story straight. I was the first DJ to own the Don Gardner "Cheatin Kind" I bought it off John Anderson in 1975/76 for £3. I remember it well because the same day he charged my £60 for Andre Maurice - You're The Cream Of The Crop.

Cheatin Kind was a one-off for quite some time, I then sold it on to Ian Levine for £3 at Manchester Ritz all dayer in 76/77 as a one-off. When I sold it it was still a one-off but it was a dancefloor flop!

To suggest it was around in quantity is totally ridiculous. Jimmy Vanleer in 1976 when I was in Chicago for the first time, certainly had no copies.

I think everyone is confusing " Tighten Up Your Love Bone" which was around and sold cheaply.. The flipside of Cheatin Kind is "What Now My Love"

Cheatin Kind is rare..there's no denying it. To compare Will Collins rarity in the same paragraph as Don Gardner is frankly, laughable .

I SEEM TO RECALL PEP HAVING A COPY CIRCA 77/78, CHEATIN KIND IS WITH OUT DOUBT STILL DOG RARE ONLY A HANDFUL AROUND SO 8,000 TO COMPARE WITH SOME OTHER RAREITIES AIN,T BAD

Social source share

has Rob Smith got one? Sure I've seen and heard him play it in the past :lol:

Social source share

By all means - it's a quality 60s soul record and all. But is it really THAT good?

Any opinions? Am I the only one who think that it ain't really that special? More

like a "cult" record for collectors perhaps :lol: Just curious what you all think.

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(C.B @ Oct 22 2006, 01:23 PM) link

By all means - it's a quality 60s soul record and all. But is it really THAT good?

Any opinions? Am I the only one who think that it ain't really that special? More

like a "cult" record for collectors perhaps :lol: Just curious what you all think.

I can think of dozens that applies to.

Not sure it applies to DG though!

Top drawer Soulful, Uptempo Choon that most 60's Soul fans would want to own... even if there were a cartload of 'em!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(C.B @ Oct 22 2006, 02:23 PM) link

like a "cult" record for collectors perhaps whistling.gif Just curious what you all think.

I'm with you mate, it's never done it for me personally. no.gif

Social source share

John - Pep was playing Don Gardner in late 76. I have it on a Wigan tape. He played it for about 3 weeks then gave up with it.

Social source share

John - Pep was playing Don Gardner in late 76. I have it on a Wigan tape. He played it for about 3 weeks then gave up with it.

Got a feeling that this was the copy that "Little" Steve Smith (no relation) had in Gloucester in the (early?) 80's, and it was well-known then that only a few copies had been discovered.

Hippo.

Social source share

Yes I remember Pep had a copy, maybe the second copy found..Not sure what happened to Levine's copy i sold him, i think it maybe went when he started to sell his collection.

1976 is always the year I remember 'cause it was so hot.. I maybe bought it of Soul bowl in 1974/75 it was before my first visit to the USA that was May 1976 so maybe my dates should read 74/75 and sold in 76..it's all acedemic really cause it's damn rare.

But for our mutual friend to suggest there was 25 / 50 or 75 copies is way off the mark.

Tony Parker is right on the button with his comments on the history of the 45.

Social source share

Got a feeling that this was the copy that "Little" Steve Smith (no relation) had in Gloucester in the (early?) 80's, and it was well-known then that only a few copies had been discovered.

Funnily enough, just had a phone call from "Little" Steve, who confirms that his copy came from Pep in 1980, and he thinks that Colin Curtis had owned it prior to Pep.

Hippo.

Social source share

Yes I remember Pep had a copy, maybe the second copy found..Not sure what happened to Levine's copy i sold him, i think it maybe went when he started to sell his collection.

1976 is always the year I remember 'cause it was so hot.. I maybe bought it of Soul bowl in 1974/75 it was before my first visit to the USA that was May 1976 so maybe my dates should read 74/75 and sold in 76..it's all acedemic really cause it's damn rare.

But for our mutual friend to suggest there was 25 / 50 or 75 copies is way off the mark.

Tony Parker is right on the button with his comments on the history of the 45.

when ian sold up the first time he sold it richard searling for £25.00

mark

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ferrett

£8687

:thumbsup::lol::lol::lol::D:lol:

A LOT of money for a distinctly average record! I've got nothing against Don Gardner himself because he's been a top bloke at his various Prestatyn appearances but I honestly think this is one of his worst records.

In my book this is typical of a record that is only played on the Soul scene because its rare. If this was a £50 tune no one would touch it.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The copy that was played in Prestatyn and which was shown to Don Gardner was Small Paul's (Roberts) old copy from Mochdre (North Wales) who sold it to Mick H a few years later.

I have a scan of Paul copy prior to him selling it, I have attached the scan, maybe someone can then check the scan against JM's auction copy. As a footnote Paul played it at the first PRESTATYN weekend, when he was invited along to spin this and his other rarities. :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert