How Much Unissued Motown Left

Citizen P

Does any body know.??

I was asked this on Friday and I sure as sh*t don't.

But I remember reading an interview with JJ Barnes in Blues and Soul where he was asked if he actually did any recording at Motown.

He said he was in the Studio doing tracks EVERY DAY!!

So answers please, on the back of a crisp new fiver whistling.gif

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

Does any body know.??

But I remember reading an interview with JJ Barnes in Blues and Soul where he was asked if he actually did any recording at Motown.

So answers please, on the back of a crisp new fiver ranting_1.gif

Are tenors any good whistling.gif

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have no real idea as to hown much unissued Motown still remains, but I'm willing to bet it must run into thousands of sides.

When Spectrum or Hip-O release their latest (and always welcome!) compilations of archive material, they almost never issue:

1) Ballads

2) 70s or 80s sides

3) Anything older than about 1964, unless it's by a 'front line act like the Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, Miracles or Marvin

There must be stacks of unissued material by the likes of La Brenda Ben, Mike and the Modifiers, Conny Van Dyke, Lee and the Leopards and tons more that will probably never see the light of day because it doesn't sound either Northern or Motown enough.

There are still things on those old bootleg 70s cassettes that circulated prolifically, and that have never been issued, too. We only got Kim Weston's "Absent Minded Lover" this year - and what will it take to prise David Ruffin's "Angel Doll" out of the vaults?

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest uroffal

There are still things on those old bootleg 70s cassettes that circulated prolifically, and that have never been issued, too. We only got Kim Weston's "Absent Minded Lover" this year - and what will it take to prise David Ruffin's "Angel Doll" out of the vaults?

TONE whistling.gif

If those are the tapes that had 'Suspicion', 'It's Too Late', 'Lonely Lover' etc that were around during the Stafford era - then I still have one with a track listing. Would be interested to see how many are still 'un-issued' - will dig it out and post up track listing.

Social source share

If those are the tapes that had 'Suspicion', 'It's Too Late', 'Lonely Lover' etc that were around during the Stafford era - then I still have one with a track listing. Would be interested to see how many are still 'un-issued' - will dig it out and post up track listing.

Seeing as i got to the States before getting a chance to listen to any of these wouldn't mind a copy on tape or cd Im willing to trade or pay :(

DJ

Social source share

I have loads of tapes with the unisued stuff on and have no doubt we haven't even scratched the surface of whats in there. Hp-O-Select's box sets are fantastic and throw up gems every time, as do the Cellar full of Motown Cds and the lovely Jo Wallaces releases as well. Wasn't Angel Doll released on a legit CD? Will scurry into the vault of pleasure that is my music room and see what I can find.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

and what will it take to prise David Ruffin's "Angel Doll" out of the vaults?

TONE :shades:

This was on the "Emperors of soul" cd box set...... whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Seeing as i got to the States before getting a chance to listen to any of these wouldn't mind a copy on tape or cd Im willing to trade or pay ohmy.gif

DJ

I'll have to find someone with a tape to tape as I haven't had one for years! I'll see if anyone I know has one and let you know (no need for payment or trade :shades: )

Social source share

Sold a Jobete music company triple album,last year for £400,fantastic Lamont Dozier un-issued,lots of big name`s featured on the album,awesome to say the least.

Cost me £1,still sealed,with another 6 Jobete company LPs £7 the lot,still got the others,only one not there out of a set,F Wilson........mmmmmmmmmm,i wonder if it had another version of "do i love you",on it? ohmy.gif .

Got a Val Mckenner,and somebody else?,full of unissued half trakc`s,if anybody is intrested maybe i could put each side up as a six pakc?.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Right Darren, and it was also on the budget priced "Essential Collection".

A Stunning track.

Sean

Can't believe I missed its issue TWICE! Cheers lads, I don't normally find that I have a great need to buy "Essential Collection"s but i'm just about to make an exception. Here I come, Amazon. Co.Uk....

Thanks again, fellas...

TONE ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I take it you mean legally?

It's been around for years not quite so legally :unsure: was on the Motown lp knocked out late 80's by well known DJ.

...Working as I do for a legitimate record company I would only EVER mean legally, Chalks :lol:

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Does any body know.??

So answers please, on the back of a crisp new fiver :unsure:

dont know how many left but ido know one unissued track will be played on friday at burnley niter kestral suite

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert