Djs Taking The Piss

well it looks like your mate mr seaman isnt going to reveal the name of the "well respected" dealer who supplied him with these tracks, so we can only assume what we've suspected all along, that hes takin the piss, i personally think any fee he recieved for dj'ing that night he should donate to charity...hearing dogs for the deaf springs to mind

============

Course we could also assume that Ian is telling the truth and didn't offer the tracks for sale?

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

well it looks like your mate mr seaman isnt going to reveal the name of the "well respected" dealer who supplied him with these tracks, so we can only assume what we've suspected all along, that hes takin the piss, i personally think any fee he recieved for dj'ing that night he should donate to charity...hearing dogs for the deaf springs to mind

why should he name the dealer?

why should he stand in the 'court of soul-source'

some may not agree with the playing of these type of records but to get personal with the bloke and make demands is crazy stuff imo. you talk about it as if he has done something illegal. i know the soul scene is a weird and wonderful place of strange etiquettes but this is taking it too far imo.

Shane

Social source share

some may not agree with the playing of these type of records but to get personal with the bloke and make demands is crazy stuff imo. you talk about it as if he has done something illegal. i know the soul scene is a weird and wonderful place of strange etiquettes but this is taking it too far imo.

Shane

Seems more like a 'head hunt' to a 'should this be acceptable' thread :shades:

Social source share

It seems to me a little unfair to single out one person for public trial on this issue.

There are plenty of people every weekend who play from boots/aceates/Vinyl Carvers "creations". I've heard, amongst others, Margaret Little, Mello Souls, Admirations played from formats other than OG vinyl by members of this board.

Perhaps it depends who you are as to whether it is ok? :shhh:

Shane

Spot on Shane!

You beat me to it by minutes :shades:

Social source share

Shane

===================

Well said Shane, :shades: definitely a "we're 12 good men and true" undercurrent on SS recently

Social source share

============

Course we could also assume that Ian is telling the truth and didn't offer the tracks for sale?

i never said he was offering them for sale.....mabe he did buy them from a "well respected" dealer, if this is the case then the poor lad has been ripped off, as these are clearly not genuine unissued masters / acetates but computerised re-hashes, if a dealer is passing these off as the real deal then he should be named to stop any other soul source members & collectors getting ripped off

Social source share

i never said he was offering them for sale.....mabe he did buy them from a "well respected" dealer, if this is the case then the poor lad has been ripped off, as these are clearly not genuine unissued masters / acetates but computerised re-hashes, if a dealer is passing these off as the real deal then he should be named to stop any other soul source members & collectors getting ripped off

if there has been no reports of anyone buying these at value then what is the problem?

i am sure the guy playing them only paid a few quid. you seem to want the dealer hung drawn and quarted without any evidence of anything.

if the guy playing them paid a good amount then fair enough but until then i see no problem at all. the dealer is happy, so is the dj and i am sure the dancers were too.

Shane

Shane

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hang the DJ for having a laugh.

To play one Mickey Mouse record in a night is having a laugh, to play 4 is time for the Spanish Inquisition. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

spanish_inq.jpg

:unsure: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Their chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency. Fetch the cushions!

Social source share

===============

I didn't say you said he was selling them. I was referring to Ian's explanation where he explains where the records came from, and the fact he wasn't offering them for sale. Have to agree with Shane, Dave, and Baz, feels like a kangaroo court scenario. Plenty of threads been on here in the past, where things have been intimated without any names actually being used, what's different this time?

Social source share

Wow all this from a couple of Acetates given to me by a well respected dealer, and NO not Pete S !!

The "When i,m gone" male track was reputedly found on a master tape and nobody can recall the singer, i have seen and heard it being played out for years now under different names, Sammy Ward was the name i chose to put on it !!

The male marie Knight has been played back to back with her version for a while now and sounds different to my ears and thats what i like about them - they are different !!

find it hard to believe Glyn that you have never heard Terry Calliers fantastic 70's version (LP only) of Ordinary Joe !! It may have sounded different as i faded it 1/2 way through as it does go on a bit and it was a request !!!

And NO i was not offering these tracks for sale, not on or off the mike, don't know where you got that crap from mate but no i don't have my own lathe and no i,m not a dealer.

Paul had asked me to play some popular stuff to get the dancers/night going and he said you can slip in some other stuff if you want, i did'nt want to play 75 mins of out and out classics and thought these would make a bit of a change, i played Azie Mortimer - "Haunted" and it cleared the floor !! these so called dodgy tracks got the floor going !! why didn't you come down the front and speak to me ?? i don't bite, i'm a nice guy !!!! you would have seen Span, my mate Roy and i having a bit of a laff and 4 people came to the decks to say what great versions they were and they were told the same as you, i don't know where they came from i just got them off a dealer.

There was only 3 records different - no Harold Melvin - house for sale !! remember i played Millies version

As Pete said this has been going on for years now and won't be stopping any time soon, as more technology comes available what next eh ??

Ian Seaman.

SHOULD HAVE PLAYED A LOAD OF SHITE 70S DISCO STUFF,EVERYBODY ELSE IS.....YOU CANT GET AWAY WITH ALOT AT AWSWORTH.IVE BEEN GOING SINCE IT BEGAN WELL B4 SAM AND PAUL TOOK IT ON.ALL IT IS NOW LIKE MOST OF THE CLUBS IN AND AROUND NOTTS IS A HAND BAG NITE....ID SAY GOOD ON YA FOR TRYING BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT TUNES OUT THERE THAT NEED TO BE PLAYED (60S) BY THE WAY THERE WILL BE A NEW SOUL VENUE NEXT YEAR IN NOTTS THAT WILL BE PLAYING SOME GREAT 60S STUFF.KEEP AN EYE OUT thumbsup.gif
Social source share

I wonder if the boffin`s who,mess about wiv`yer toons,can do something with,

cath-e-drals,D C Lawhats-it-shite,PYE,cause it gotta`be one of the worst ever played,anywhere :thumbsup: no way could you mess it up,t`iss allready messed up.

gotta disagree totally with you kenny,

cathedrals was a time and place tune i guess, 76 ish it fitted in with the current stuff being played at the time.

oh for the days when contemporary releases were played and accepted along side the monsters and classics.

and it has been sampled and used, quite notably by joey negro no less, you either no who he is or you don't wink.gifthumbsup.gif lol.

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

SHOULD HAVE PLAYED A LOAD OF SHITE 70S DISCO STUFF,EVERYBODY ELSE IS.....YOU CANT GET AWAY WITH ALOT AT AWSWORTH.IVE BEEN GOING SINCE IT BEGAN WELL B4 SAM AND PAUL TOOK IT ON.ALL IT IS NOW LIKE MOST OF THE CLUBS IN AND AROUND NOTTS IS A HAND BAG NITE....ID SAY GOOD ON YA FOR TRYING BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT TUNES OUT THERE THAT NEED TO BE PLAYED (60S) BY THE WAY THERE WILL BE A NEW SOUL VENUE NEXT YEAR IN NOTTS THAT WILL BE PLAYING SOME GREAT 60S STUFF.KEEP AN EYE OUT :thumbsup:

wink.gif Well Said, wings social club Broughton is like that, or did i go on a bad nite, it was like hand bags at dawn.

Keepin it Sixties on Boogaloo Radio.

www.boogalooradio.com

25 NOVEMBER CIVIC SOUL CLUB, WEPRE DRIVE, CONNAS QUAY, DEESIDE CH5 4HA. 7.30 TILL 1.00am TICKETS £4 , £5 ON THE DOOR. MORE INFO AT www.civicsoulclub.moonfruit.com

Social source share

gotta disagree totally with you kenny,

cathedrals was a time and place tune i guess, 76 ish it fitted in with the current stuff being played at the time.

oh for the days when contemporary releases were played and accepted along side the monsters and classics.

and it has been sampled and used, quite notably by joey negro no less, you either no who he is or you don't wink.gif:thumbsup: lol.

You forget,i was there and its double shite,if DCL was in front of me i would say so,now and then!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

leave the spanish outta this please & yes, I like cathedrals too, the largest & most spectacular of which are in spain of course. sevilla, toledo, burgos, le³n etc; etc;

this thread was interesting at the start, but soon turned into gratuitous blood-letting.

shame on you! but say three 5 our fathers & three hail marys & your sins shall be absolved...

yours,

the pope of eruke.

Edited by macca
Social source share

SHOULD HAVE PLAYED A LOAD OF SHITE 70S DISCO STUFF,EVERYBODY ELSE IS.....YOU CANT GET AWAY WITH ALOT AT AWSWORTH.IVE BEEN GOING SINCE IT BEGAN WELL B4 SAM AND PAUL TOOK IT ON.ALL IT IS NOW LIKE MOST OF THE CLUBS IN AND AROUND NOTTS IS A HAND BAG NITE....ID SAY GOOD ON YA FOR TRYING BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT TUNES OUT THERE THAT NEED TO BE PLAYED (60S) BY THE WAY THERE WILL BE A NEW SOUL VENUE NEXT YEAR IN NOTTS THAT WILL BE PLAYING SOME GREAT 60S STUFF.KEEP AN EYE OUT :shhh:

Is that Jim from Heanor/Marlpool

Social source share

Who hasn't ever messed around with the 33/45 rpm button for a laugh! whistling.gif

Sounds like they were played with fun in mind, there is no harm in that. I have been known to dance to Jive Bunny, The Wombles and The Birdie Song when the occasion arose. There's a time and place for everything. At least these sound ok!

Yours,

Norman Cook

sorry!

Yours,

Rob :lol:

P.S. I know up north its commonplace to find 'pure' soul nights, but way down here I can't remember the last time a DJ didn't throw in a Ska/Reggae/Funky/Theme From Grease interlude! Be thankful; for small mercies! :lol:

Social source share

okay, they're shite, maybe dishonest, but if joe the penny paying punter danced to them who are we, up here in the gods to deny them. let the dancfloor decide. i think ian is a great bloke with an excellent sense of humour and a very good record collection and i enjoy his spots when i've caught him d.j. ing, but if i heard him, or anyone play that shite out i'd do what we ALL should do, sit down, not dance. after this happening a couple of times the dj would take the hint. and if some people of 'undefined' taste dance to it then let it be played, but play them one after another so i can take 20mins out to go for a dump!!

Social source share

okay, they're shite, maybe dishonest, but if joe the penny paying punter danced to them who are we, up here in the gods to deny them. let the dancfloor decide. i think ian is a great bloke with an excellent sense of humour and a very good record collection and i enjoy his spots when i've caught him d.j. ing, but if i heard him, or anyone play that shite out i'd do what we ALL should do, sit down, not dance. after this happening a couple of times the dj would take the hint. and if some people of 'undefined' taste dance to it then let it be played, but play them one after another so i can take 20mins out to go for a dump!!
nice comment

coops, i also think that ian is a great bloke :thumbsup:

russ

Social source share

============

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Social source share

============

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

not really, the opperative word was 'should' do, which is a reflection of my personal opinion, if everybody followed my own personal opinion (which, as yet, by law they don't have to) i'd be king and primeminister rolled into one! hope that clarifies it for you. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

:lol: Well Said, wings social club Broughton is like that, or did i go on a bad nite, it was like hand bags at dawn.

This has been drawn to my attention.

I don't think it helps anyone, or the scene generally for that matter, to criticise other venues with gratuitous, highly subjective and offensive statements such as the one above. As most would agree, to have your soul night described as a 'handbag' event is one of the most insulting comments that could be made about an event.

Broughton Wings Club has been running a highly successful monthly soul night for the past 6½ years. Our policy has been to offer the widest range of soul music - something many people have congratulated us on. During the year we also have one Oldies only night and one Motown only night - trying to appeal to the broadest range of soul fans both near and far. Whatever we have done, the aim has always been to offer a high quality venue, with high quality DJs playing high quality soul music. With an average attendance across the 6½ years of over 150 per night we must be doing something right. You just don't get that sort of repeat business over that number of years unless there is something good going on.

We have NEVER run what could be described as a 'handbag' event. Certainly with regular monthly guest DJs like Kenny Burrell, Ginger Taylor, Bob Hinsley, Arthur Fenn, Andy Killick, Tim Brown, Butch, Chris King, Neil Jones, Barry Maleady, Steve Conner, Keith Money, Keith Minshull, PEP, Kev Murphy, Keith Williams, Chic, and Maria O, - which of these Pete would you consider plays a 'handbag' spot? Which of them was on when you attended? I'm sure they'd be pleased to see your comments.

Perhaps you could describe to us what you consider to be 'handbag' records and let us know which you heard at Broughton. I for my part would consider stuff like Band of Gold, Third finger left hand, Baby Love, Needle in a haystack to be what might be described as 'handbag' in nature. Not that there's anything wrong with these, but none of them has ever been played at a standard soul night at Broughton.

Perhaps it's just the dancers then Pete you judge to be 'handbaggers' - I wonder what the regular dancers at Broughton would make of your comment on them (many are travellers who attend various other venues around the country) and many are top dancers, attending Broughton each month.

But going back to making critical comments on venues - it surely couldn't be anything to do with the fact you are about to run a soul night just 5 miles down the road from Broughton.....could it?

Be really good to get your comments on this please Pete.

Brian :thumbsup:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I don't think it helps anyone, or the scene generally for that matter, to criticise other venues with highly subjective and offensive statements such as the one above. As most would agree, to have your soul night described as a 'handbag' event is one of the most insulting comments that could be made about an event.

Broughton Wings Club has been running a highly successful monthly soul night for the past 6½ years. Our policy has been to offer the widest range of soul music - something many people have congratulated us on. During the year we also have one Oldies only night and one Motown only night - trying to appeal to the broadest range of soul fans both near and far. Whatever we have done, the aim has always been to offer a high quality venue, with high quality DJs playing high quality soul music. With an average attendance across the 6½ years of over 150 per night we must be doing something right. You just don't get that sort of repeat business over that number of years unless there is something good going on.

We have NEVER run what could be described as a 'handbag' event. Certainly with regular monthly guest DJs like Kenny Burrell, Ginger Taylor, Bob Hinsley, Arthur Fenn, Andy Killick, Tim Brown, Butch, Chris King, Neil Jones, Barry Maleady, Steve Conner, Keith Money, Keith Minshull, PEP, Kev Murphy, Keith Williams, Chic, and Maria O, - which of these Pete would you consider plays a 'handbag' spot? Which of them was on when you attended? I'm sure they'd be pleased to see your comments.

Perhaps you could describe to us what you consider to be 'handbag' records and let us know which you heard at Broughton. I for my part would consider stuff like Band of Gold, Third finger left hand, Baby Love, Needle in a haystack to be what might be described as 'handbag' in nature. Not that there's anything wrong with these, but none of them has ever been played at a standard soul night at Broughton.

Perhaps it's just the dancers then Pete you judge to be 'handbaggers' - I wonder what the regular dancers at Broughton would make of your comment on them (many are travellers who attend various other venues around the country) and many are top dancers, attending Broughton each month.

But going back to making critical comments on venues - it surely couldn't be anything to do with the fact you are about to run a soul night just 5 miles down the road from Broughton.....could it?

Brian :lol:

superb post Brian ....if folk who enjoy the music want to go out pay their dues, listen and have a boogie to stuff they enjoy and have the abosolute audacity to chuck their handbag on the floor then so beit in my book, no one has the right to say who should enjoy the music.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

superb post Brian ....if folk who enjoy the music want to go out pay their dues, listen and have a boogie to stuff they enjoy and have the abosolute audacity to chuck their handbag on the floor then so beit in my book, no one has the right to say who should enjoy the music.. :thumbsup:

I agree totally! terms such as 'handbag' 'educate' and 'move on' really irritate me! would love it if someone could explain to me what these terms actually mean, we are part of a predominantly middle aged activity where most venues openly advertise what to expect if you attend. If when we do attend we are less than happy with whats served up then its a free country and a fundemental human right to choose not to attend that venue again! Why do some more 'educated' soulies that have 'seen the light' and 'moved on' see it fit to openly insult anyone that doesnt follow there example? Personally i go where i like, listen to what i like and would never criticise anybody for doing likewise! Its a bloody night out so try to enjoy it instead of concerning ourselves as to why everyone doesnt have or have yet to 'learn' our tastes! There said it.

Pete

Social source share

I agree totally! terms such as 'handbag' 'educate' and 'move on' really irritate me! would love it if someone could explain to me what these terms actually mean, we are part of a predominantly middle aged activity where most venues openly advertise what to expect if you attend. If when we do attend we are less than happy with whats served up then its a free country and a fundemental human right to choose not to attend that venue again! Why do some more 'educated' soulies that have 'seen the light' and 'moved on' see it fit to openly insult anyone that doesnt follow there example? Personally i go where i like, listen to what i like and would never criticise anybody for doing likewise! Its a bloody night out so try to enjoy it instead of concerning ourselves as to why everyone doesnt have or have yet to 'learn' our tastes! There said it.

Pete

=============

Now you've gone and done it, they'll be releasing the hounds shortly :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

I don't think it helps anyone, or the scene generally for that matter, to criticise other venues with gratuitous, highly subjective and offensive statements such as the one above. As most would agree, to have your soul night described as a 'handbag' event is one of the most insulting comments that could be made about an event.

Ok I retract what I said, but I did say it with a smile. I would have to speak to you on the phone about it Brian, but for the event we are putting on down the road, I can't help it, that I live in the area, I hope its not clashing with your event is it? I wouldn't want that to happen. I will email you my number for a chat. :thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Ok I retract what I said, but I did say it with a smile. I would have to speak to you on the phone about it Brian, but for the event we are putting on down the road, I can't help it, that I live in the area, I hope its not clashing with your event is it? I wouldn't want that to happen. I will email you my number for a chat. :thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

Would be good to talk - just PM me the number and I'll be in touch.

Regards

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert