Djs Taking The Piss

Well, i dont know how you lot will feel about this which is why its open for discussion.

On Sat night i went to the Awsworth Anniversary - Awsworth is always a nice night to visit and it was the anniversary - Sam and Paul Gats have done a great job keeping the place going and have always tried to book DJs to get the soulies in. Well done lads and happy anniversary.

However one of the DJs on (Ian Seaman apparently) was really taking the piss - i can understand doing this once for a bit of fun but not 4 times in a single spot and swearing by the authenticity.

so what am i talking about?

"this is a recently discovered v male version of Marie Knights thats no way to treat a girl"

then there was the faster version of Terry Callier and Ordinary Joe and then Sammy Lee with When Im gone the old brenda holloway classic. and there was another too which i cant remember off hand

Well, i know for a fact that these tracks have been modified from the original by some clever computer software - because i have the same software or a similar one anyway.

To me this is not only insulting to the artist that did sing it, its also taking the piss out of those soulies that take what DJs say as gospel.

I got into a discussion with one guy who argued that the marie knight male version was legit so i thought i would prove my point.

The next three posts on this thread are tracks that ive made this morning. The first one is Roosevelt grier - in my tennament - should i press this up and badge it as Timi Yuro - because i think i would get away with it!

The second (to really prove my point) is Marie Knight which i have bastardised myself to sould the same as the one he played Sat night

and the third shows you how it is all done - it is darrell banks angel baby - starts off modified to be a woman and half way through it changes back to darrell banks - this was to prove my point.

if you want to remix stuff then get a job at your local nightclub where remixing is the in thing to do but keep it out of my frigging soul nights!!

opinions please! (wait until ive loaded the files though)

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I bet I'll get the blame for this as long time readers will remember me posting some of these up for a laugh about 2 years ago and saying - as a joke - these will be circulating in 6 months time. I also gave the details of the program 'the amazing slow-downer', which I still think is a great little program...

Social source share

Been aware of these "Cowboy" versions for many years, and the Instrumentals they produce as well, thing is there are plenty of good records that are begging to played.

Shows a lack of imagination and knowlage on a DJs part, its OK in yer record room but play REAL RECORDS and break new sounds !

Rob

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To be honest listening to them 'differnt takes' they sound inferiour and you can still tell is marie knight and rosey geir :yes:

Social source share

I bet I'll get the blame for this as long time readers will remember me posting some of these up for a laugh about 2 years ago and saying - as a joke - these will be circulating in 6 months time. I also gave the details of the program 'the amazing slow-downer', which I still think is a great little program...

Oh well enough said then :thumbsup:

Social source share

part of otsdj for me pete - not a 'slow downer' - this does it on the fly - for male - female speed up pitch slow down tempo.

I actually thought the rosey one was nice lol, but youre right, anyone with a modicum of hearing can spot the marie knight - you shoulda heard the 'when im gone' he played, was really bad

always been easier to make male female, just chop the nob off :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

:thumbsup: This kinda shite drives me mad!! It's like the dire "Harold Melvin House for sale" rubbish.

If DJ's can't use their imagination to find REAL tunes to play, then they shouldn't be DJing! There are literaly thousands of brilliant records available, why produce this crap, it fools no-one, and if the DJ's ego is so big that he has to resort to these tactics to look like he has an 'exclusive' play, then sad b***ard is all I can say.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

clearly the reasons were commercial as he was offering to sell copies to people.

doing it on here for a laugh is one thing and quite acceptable, we all need a giggle, but making them, cutting with your technics lathe, playing em out hard faced at a soul night and then offering em out for sale is well out of order.

no-one gonna stick up for em?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

that is bad if someone wants to hear a Northern soul remix surely you would hear samples on a dance tune.

But isn't that like the Frank Wilson and Chris Clarke - Do I Love You which someone had mashed up as a duet. I have it on cd somewhere

Social source share

Guest marco i

then there was the faster version of Terry Callier and Ordinary Joe

Don't know about the rest, but for sure a legit faster version of "Ordinary Joe" exists on the 1979 "Turn You To Love" Lp by Terry Callier (as far as I know is an album only track).

Social source share

clearly the reasons were commercial as he was offering to sell copies to people.

doing it on here for a laugh is one thing and quite acceptable, we all need a giggle, but making them, cutting with your technics lathe, playing em out hard faced at a soul night and then offering em out for sale is well out of order.

no-one gonna stick up for em?

I'll stick up for Ian, don't know him very well but have spoken to him on the phone a few times, he's bought a fair few records off me over the years, he's a nice guy and I think the likelihood of him having his own cutting lathe is very low.

Social source share

Well done Glynn ,it's about time this sort of shite was bought to the front . Do these people not realise that they are fcukin the soul scene up.

ps here's alist of wants if you can get them---

let me make you happy - Frank Plank + The Splinters

I need my baby - Jackies Beaver

Shes wanted - Barry Cliton

My world is on fire - Tony MAK :thumbsup:

Edited by MAK
Social source share

The second (to really prove my point) is Marie Knight which i have bastardised myself to sould the same as the one he played Sat night

:thumbsup: From here on you shall be known as "The Bastardiser" !! :thumbsup:

)

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest Trevski

lathes aint that expensive now pete, you can get one that attaches to a technics sl1200 for around £3k

ps, youll notice that the 'tennement' also says 'he' rather than 'she' to make it even more realistic lol :thumbsup:

Does say at the end tho' "In my tennement, this poor BOY is a king" :yes:

Maybe 'she's' a bit gender confused :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Well, i dont know how you lot will feel about this which is why its open for discussion.

On Sat night i went to the Awsworth Anniversary - Awsworth is always a nice night to visit and it was the anniversary - Sam and Paul Gats have done a great job keeping the place going and have always tried to book DJs to get the soulies in. Well done lads and happy anniversary.

However one of the DJs on (Ian Seaman apparently) was really taking the piss - i can understand doing this once for a bit of fun but not 4 times in a single spot and swearing by the authenticity.

"this is a recently discovered v male version of Marie Knights thats no way to treat a girl"

then there was the faster version of Terry Callier and Ordinary Joe and then Sammy Lee with When Im gone the old brenda holloway classic. and there was another too which i cant remember off hand

Well, i know for a fact that these tracks have been modified from the original by some clever computer software - because i have the same software or a similar one anyway.

To me this is not only insulting to the artist that did sing it, its also taking the piss out of those soulies that take what DJs say as gospel.

I got into a discussion with one guy who argued that the marie knight male version was legit so i thought i would prove my point.

The next three posts on this thread are tracks that ive made this morning. The first one is Roosevelt grier - in my tennament - should i press this up and badge it as Timi Yuro - because i think i would get away with it!

and the third shows you how it is all done - it is darrell banks angel baby - starts off modified to be a woman and half way through it changes back to darrell banks - this was to prove my point.

if you want to remix stuff then get a job at your local nightclub where remixing is the in thing to do but keep it out of my frigging soul nights!!

Wow, I'll have a copy of the Timi
:thumbsup:
Yuro....great stuff....
I'm just off to listen to the others...Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

always been easier to make male female, just chop the nob off

Ouch...
Glyn, PM me details of Nov 10th...there'll be no nob chopping that night
:yes:
Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

With so many records out there, why would anyone want to do such a thing? Quite bizarre!

Social source share

Same goes for pitching up/down..think that stinks an all :thumbsup:

BTW Glyn..handsome chap on that flyer of yours :yes::yes::thumbsup:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

cover ups are one thing - and to be fair mostly irrelevant these days IMO - searling & Co covered up to keep their discovery secret for a while - not to keep their CREATION a secret.

nothing wrong with Frank Popp either, always did like that little scottish lass :thumbsup:

Jo you lil' devil :thumbsup: if you are coming up i'll get my chastity belt out and ban knives for the night!

Social source share

yes Bazza, blokes name is Des bottom left.

I assume you're not referring to the Ray Charles fan club bloke on top right?

Bit of a weirdo he was, never seen him since!

Bit of a weirdo :thumbsup: ...oh no I aint.....hope to get there this friday..bit busy at the mo' ( house moving )

cya friday

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Thing is with these speed-ups/slow-downs, there is always a boy/girl or a he/she in the lyrics that gives it away! Like the harold melvin thing with "still reflects HIS memory" or the Brenda Holloway "when i'm gone' you mentioned. How do they explain the "they think your such a wonderful GUY" line? So...how can you have a male version of "that's no way to treat a girl"? It would have to be "That's no way to treat a boy", or the context of the lyrics would have to be re-written so the guy was telling the girls fella that he wasn't treating her right, or telling the girl that her fella was no good etc. To try and pass of a 'strait' version, doctored up, is ridiculous :thumbsup: Also very insulting. Does the so-called Dj think the punters are too stupid to notice the lyrical errors? If so they are treating the punters as idiots. Or are they themselves too thick to notice?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

cover ups are one thing - and to be fair mostly irrelevant these days IMO - searling & Co covered up to keep their discovery secret for a while - not to keep their CREATION a secret.

nothing wrong with Frank Popp either, always did like that little scottish lass :thumbsup:

Jo you lil' devil :yes: if you are coming up i'll get my chastity belt out and ban knives for the night!

Social source share

Surprised the old Ann Perry C/Up's not been mentioned.

Covered as Ann Perry, the Mecca played a 33rpm 7" at 45rpm (entitled "Let The Dollar Circulate") by Billy Paul on Philly International.

Also, Moses Smith (actually Epitome of Sound) "You Don't Love Me" was speeded up (and wrongly credited) on the 45 pressing... and some 5,000 people bought it!

So since this practice has been going on for 30+ years, why's everyone so shocked? - especially now (in the 21st Century) the technology is on your desktop?

Not saying I approve, but sometimes I think there's a real luddite mentality to all this stuff.

Pete Smith has the right approach. It's good for a giggle. No more.

And I cerainly agree that the guy (whoever he is) should not 'profit' from his experimentation, through blatant deception.

So, what shall we do with this fellow?

Throw him in the river to see if he floats?

Sean (Playing Devil's Advocate Again) Hampsey

Social source share

Wow all this from a couple of Acetates given to me by a well respected dealer, and NO not Pete S !!

The "When i,m gone" male track was reputedly found on a master tape and nobody can recall the singer, i have seen and heard it being played out for years now under different names, Sammy Ward was the name i chose to put on it !!

The male marie Knight has been played back to back with her version for a while now and sounds different to my ears and thats what i like about them - they are different !!

find it hard to believe Glyn that you have never heard Terry Calliers fantastic 70's version (LP only) of Ordinary Joe !! It may have sounded different as i faded it 1/2 way through as it does go on a bit and it was a request !!!

And NO i was not offering these tracks for sale, not on or off the mike, don't know where you got that crap from mate but no i don't have my own lathe and no i,m not a dealer.

Paul had asked me to play some popular stuff to get the dancers/night going and he said you can slip in some other stuff if you want, i did'nt want to play 75 mins of out and out classics and thought these would make a bit of a change, i played Azie Mortimer - "Haunted" and it cleared the floor !! these so called dodgy tracks got the floor going !! why didn't you come down the front and speak to me ?? i don't bite, i'm a nice guy !!!! you would have seen Span, my mate Roy and i having a bit of a laff and 4 people came to the decks to say what great versions they were and they were told the same as you, i don't know where they came from i just got them off a dealer.

There was only 3 records different - no Harold Melvin - house for sale !! remember i played Millies version

As Pete said this has been going on for years now and won't be stopping any time soon, as more technology comes available what next eh ??

Ian Seaman.

Social source share

Wow all this from a couple of Acetates given to me by a well respected dealer, and NO not Pete S !!

The "When i,m gone" male track was reputedly found on a master tape and nobody can recall the singer, i have seen and heard it being played out for years now under different names, Sammy Ward was the name i chose to put on it !!

The male marie Knight has been played back to back with her version for a while now and sounds different to my ears and thats what i like about them - they are different !!

find it hard to believe Glyn that you have never heard Terry Calliers fantastic 70's version (LP only) of Ordinary Joe !! It may have sounded different as i faded it 1/2 way through as it does go on a bit and it was a request !!!

And NO i was not offering these tracks for sale, not on or off the mike, don't know where you got that crap from mate but no i don't have my own lathe and no i,m not a dealer.

Paul had asked me to play some popular stuff to get the dancers/night going and he said you can slip in some other stuff if you want, i did'nt want to play 75 mins of out and out classics and thought these would make a bit of a change, i played Azie Mortimer - "Haunted" and it cleared the floor !! these so called dodgy tracks got the floor going !! why didn't you come down the front and speak to me ?? i don't bite, i'm a nice guy !!!! you would have seen Span, my mate Roy and i having a bit of a laff and 4 people came to the decks to say what great versions they were and they were told the same as you, i don't know where they came from i just got them off a dealer.

There was only 3 records different - no Harold Melvin - house for sale !! remember i played Millies version

As Pete said this has been going on for years now and won't be stopping any time soon, as more technology comes available what next eh ??

Ian Seaman.

Cant see the problem with it anyway.....no different to what Norman Cooke did to sliced tomatoes......and I love both versions

Social source share

"The "When i,m gone" male track was reputedly found on a master tape and nobody can recall the singer, i have seen and heard it being played out for years now under different names, Sammy Ward was the name i chose to put on it !!"

well, whatever you decided to call it - it's brenda holloway and you would have to be deaf not to know it was her slowed down. Do i have to do that one too to prove the point?

No theyre not, listen to the sample above - or better still post your copy on here for all to hear.

Yep, take my hat off to that one, never heard it, mind you there are millions of jazz funk Lp tracks ive never heard of either. ohmy.gif

Never said you did on the mic - but i was told that you said you can get them anything made up onto acetate including those quote 'recently discovered' tracks - maybe that person who told me will come forward on here to confirm .... will you?

Nothing wrong with being a dealer by the way even if you are, just the motives behind these tracks is all.

so you'll be playing those too i presume?

I'm glad you came on Ian and defended your choices but there's something wrong when you have to resort to playing clearly modified tracks - why not just play the real ones, do you hate them that much?

Let's be honest here, anyone with an eardrum could tell they were slowed down and to insist when asked they were genuine new discoveries was taking the piss.

Frankly i'm suprised Ian, I saw a good selection of 45's all genuine sticking out of your box and hearing shit like that makes me angry. as did Norman Cook's rip of sliced toms by the way.

As for the well respected dealer, well maybe you should name them and let us know who we can't trust.

Just play em as they are please.

Social source share

I wonder if the boffin`s who,mess about wiv`yer toons,can do something with,

cath-e-drals,D C Lawhats-it-shite,PYE,cause it gotta`be one of the worst ever played,anywhere :unsure: no way could you mess it up,t`iss allready messed up.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

cath-e-drals,D C Lawhats-it-shite,PYE,cause it gotta`be one of the worst ever played,anywhere :unsure: no way could you mess it up,t`iss allready messed up.

Maybe they could do summat with your Terry Stafford, make it sound like a soul record! :lol:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

The fella who did the chris clark / frank wilson duet did it for fun and never made a secret of the fact they did it - also didn't do it for profit as far as I'm aware and I for one was impressed by their ability to mix two tracks lol..

There was a CD doing the rounds on ebay a few months back that with the exception of an authentic sounding female vocal to Right track was clearly done using whatever software is available - easy to work out upon listening really. Still a few people coughed up a few quid for the CD. :lol:

Some tracks sound better pitched up or down on the decks but doctoring them and trying to pass off as originals is definitely below the belt.... :unsure:

Whatever next

Mike B

Social source share

Ian Seaman.

Got to stand up and back my old mate mr Ian (acetate) Seaman

as I know he is a n all round nice guy very round in fact and would have no hesitation in booking him for Skeggy or Horncastle or Sweetsoul(Feb 2007)

and I know he will be along to watch Ginger Taylor on Friday at SWEETSOUL (see Events)

SO ONE FOR Ian Seaman gets my vote anyday

Doug

:unsure::lol:

Social source share

cath-e-drals,D C Lawhats-it-shite,PYE,cause it gotta`be one of the worst ever played,anywhere :lol: no way could you mess it up,t`iss allready messed up.

someones done it, joey negro, hes sort of pissed about with it added more beat and created a track worse than the original

(are you impressed by my dj mixing jargon) :unsure:

Social source share

someones done it, joey negro, hes sort of pissed about with it added more beat and created a track worse than the original

(are you impressed by my dj mixing jargon) :unsure:

Not bad,Fish :lol:

Social source share

Got to stand up and back my old mate mr Ian (acetate) Seaman

as I know he is a n all round nice guy very round in fact and would have no hesitation in booking him for Skeggy or Horncastle or Sweetsoul(Feb 2007)

and I know he will be along to watch Ginger Taylor on Friday at SWEETSOUL (see Events)

SO ONE FOR Ian Seaman gets my vote anyday

Doug

:shhh::shades:

well it looks like your mate mr seaman isnt going to reveal the name of the "well respected" dealer who supplied him with these tracks, so we can only assume what we've suspected all along, that hes takin the piss, i personally think any fee he recieved for dj'ing that night he should donate to charity...hearing dogs for the deaf springs to mind

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert