rip off postage charges

getting sick of being ripped of with postage charges,had 2 records deliverd ,ist one the dealer charged me £3.50 at that you imagine he is sendind it 1st class signed for NO ! he sent it standard post £1.27,the next one from a dealer on discogs 1st quoted me £4.50 delivery when i asked him why so much he said he had quoted for an lp so he altered it to £3 to include the cost of the mailer ! and you guessed right sent it standered post £1.27 what the hell is going on !!!!!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, sammy seaman said:

getting sick of being ripped of with postage charges,had 2 records deliverd ,ist one the dealer charged me £3.50 at that you imagine he is sendind it 1st class signed for NO ! he sent it standard post £1.27,the next one from a dealer on discogs 1st quoted me £4.50 delivery when i asked him why so much he said he had quoted for an lp so he altered it to £3 to include the cost

How did you pay for them, if it was paypal, put in a claim for over charging of postage. See if reporting the seller to Discogs does anything?

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, John Reed said:

How did you pay for them, if it was paypal, put in a claim for over charging of postage. See if reporting the seller to Discogs does anything?

paid paypal as gift ,will be contacting discogs if he does not reply to my pm regarding it

cheers

samm

Social source share

I've been noticing horrendous postage rates on SS lately. Anything from £2.50 to £4 recorded when the actual cost is £2.37. I've also seen £10 special D when actual cost is £7.25. I can't figure out how sellers can justify these rates - why not just charge the actual postage rate and if they do want to make a profit on packaging or time spent going to the post office why not build it in the selling price?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi,

I sell on discog, and on SS, and use brand new packing for which I add £1 [if customer wants I'll use old packing and remove that] . 2nd class signed for is, since April1st , is £2.30 plus packing for one too maybe three 45's, LP/12 £3.95 plus packing for maybe two or three. All about the weight/value. If expensive then as said before special delivery  is £7.25 plus packing, You can't 'build it into the selling price' because if the sale is overseas then there are lots of variations and you have to be both fair and realistic with everyone.

dean

Edited by dean jj
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

28 minutes ago, gointoagogo said:

I've been noticing horrendous postage rates on SS lately. Anything from £2.50 to £4 recorded when the actual cost is £2.37. I've also seen £10 special D when actual cost is £7.25. I can't figure out how sellers can justify these rates - why not just charge the actual postage rate and if they do want to make a profit on packaging or time spent going to the post office why not build it in the selling price?

Because industry standard mailers and stiffener boards don't grow on trees, I charge £2 first class and £3 recorded by the way when I sell on discogs, see link below for what i have for sale :D.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Because industry standard mailers and stiffener boards don't grow on trees, I charge £2 first class and £3 recorded by the way when I sell on discogs, see link below for what i have for sale :D.

HI MATE ,the one that a well known dealer sent me and charged me £3.50 was sent in 2 pieces of cardboard taped together !!!!!!!!

Social source share

i always charge under £3 for 1st class recorded uk, and this regulary consists of 1 brand new quality mailer. 1 new white paper sleve, often plastic or pvc cover, 2/3 stiffners 2 elastic bands, and fragile taped seal, costs about a quid, and just work it into the sale price of the record.,cant beleive how some people send expensive records in paper packets with cornflake stiffners etc, bought a record last year for £100 and it came in just a old battered mailer with No stiffners at all.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, sammy seaman said:

HI MATE ,the one that a well known dealer sent me and charged me £3.50 was sent in 2 pieces of cardboard taped together !!!!!!!!

I can't see the point of skimping on packaging, it gives a bad impression and its also a complete ballache if a record gets damaged.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What really gets me is asking for Payment via F&F by PayPal , it's ok if you know and trust the seller , what if it goes tits up? It has with me.You have no protection what's so ever.. There's no charge for selling on here V eBay or discogs ( you can't ask for payment via F&F on thoose. So what's so different on Here?  Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, gointoagogo said:

I normally charge £2.50 recorded and £7 Special and think that's fair   !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I charge £2.50 for first class recorded, actula postage cost is about £2.37. I round it up to cover a new mailer, card stiffners and labels etc. £1.50 for first class and £7.50 recorded. If it is over £15 it goes recorded and ober £40 special delivery as you are not covered for the cost if anything goes wrong.

i ask for F&F if they know and trust me but there is no pressure to pay that way. I wouldn't pay F&F if somewhere not sure about or I don't know the buyer/seller's reputation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some interesting points here and I have to look at it as both a buyer and a seller. 

I do appreciate that new mailers do cost money but anything more than 50p above actual postage rate doesn't sound right to me. 

Agree that the quality of the packaging is the most important thing and I have no qualms about receiving or reusing old mailers as long as there are sufficient cardboard stiffeners. My heart sinks when I see one of those thin envelope type mailers on the doormat as I've had so many breakages over the years and when I open it and find only one flipping' flimsy stiffener! - well I'd never buy from that seller again.

My favourite seller (non UK) is Craig Moerer because

he only charges $8.50 when most other US sellers are $12 - $16 on average but then there are those incredibly unbelievable prices ($19) and that is ignoring the ones who use the customs rip off service 

His packaging is to me perfect in that it is very well packed and lol it is easy to get the record out (but that's another story)

The comments about the Paypal F&F are the ones that I can't decide on - depends on whether I'm buying or selling and if I'm buying it depends on how much postage I'm being charged. I think on SS it is accepted that most sellers ask for F&F - I don't have a problem with that unless the seller was new/unknown and if I wanted the record so badly I'd offer to pay the fees. As a seller I do ask for F&F and just because there is no Paypal protection it doesn't mean that I (and the vast majority of sellers on here) would walk away from any responsibility they have.

I personally would do anything to avoid contributing to PP's obscenely high charges so how would it be if sellers on SS added 4% or so to each list price and offered a discount for buyers who paid thru PP f&f ? Would this give comfort to the buyers who want the security of PP protection? btw how times have changed - I can remember mailing 100's of $$$ a time back in the 90's long before we heard of PP

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I do 2nd class recorded at £2.50. That gives me a little leeway if im busy to pack and post and still be reasonable for delivery time.Postage is £2.30 and 20p for a new mailer.What is wrong with that.That covers 3 singles usually.That actually doesnt cover the cost of the mailers.I agree that people take advantage at times but dont buy from them.I would be more worried about stupid prices people are asking for not rare records.I am probably doing the same myself because of what i see in sales. Note to self, get a grip. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, sammy seaman said:

getting sick of being ripped of with postage charges,had 2 records deliverd ,ist one the dealer charged me £3.50 at that you imagine he is sendind it 1st class signed for NO ! he sent it standard post £1.27,the next one from a dealer on discogs 1st quoted me £4.50 delivery when i asked him why so much he said he had quoted for an lp so he altered it to £3 to include the cost of the mailer ! and you guessed right sent it standered post £1.27 what the hell is going on !!!!!!!!

I now am in the habit of looking at postage costs on the package, if it's a new or re-used carton mailer and then asking for a refund BEFORE I leave any feedback. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, NCFC said:

I've just been charged $24 postage for a 45 from US.:ohmy:

Should costs (depending on value) about $15.00, no more, I always question and contact seller if I think post cost are too high, you'd be surprised how many do reduce them.

Social source share

14 hours ago, Chris L said:

I now am in the habit of looking at postage costs on the package, if it's a new or re-used carton mailer and then asking for a refund BEFORE I leave any feedback. 

Wouldn't it be dependant on the condition of the mailer ? I reuse mailers regularly to send out my 45's but I only select those that are in good condition and have not been reused time and again. I have received records where the mailer has about 5 different addresses on it and has been around the world three times - these get binned straight away.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Wouldn't it be dependant on the condition of the mailer ? I reuse mailers regularly to send out my 45's but I only select those that are in good condition and have not been reused time and again. I have received records where the mailer has about 5 different addresses on it and has been around the world three times - these get binned straight away.

If you've used a second hand mailer, how can you charge someone for it.  If its a brand new mailer you've had to buy, then you can pass on that cost. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, John Reed said:

If you've used a second hand mailer, how can you charge someone for it.  If its a brand new mailer you've had to buy, then you can pass on that cost. 

some I`ve received have just had 2 pieces off card board taped together others just in envelopes just wrapped in bubble wrap and still charged me £3+

Social source share

I know card envelope mailers are standard but they really aren't the best at absorbing shock and giving maximum protection. Post office small print only really covers you if the record is in a jiffy type bag. 

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

I don't charge for packaging - just the postage cost. If I have a good quality mailer I use that but more often now I use the Mail Lite Gold padded envelopes with corrugated cardboard I get from a local company and cut into squares myself to hold the record. The envelopes I get from Ebay at £10.50 for 100 delivered. So I'm not going to bother charging someone 10.5p on a record that may be £10, £50 or £100. The E/2 envelope will generally hold around 3 records with packaging and still get through the Post Office letterbox test.

The card pre cut costs just a few quid, I get them via soundswholesale on ebay. I will be using the E/2 padded envelopes next time I buy. I simply don't trust the card mailers, especially abroad.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Chris L said:

Should costs (depending on value) about $15.00, no more, I always question and contact seller if I think post cost are too high, you'd be surprised how many do reduce them.

Supposed to be trackable also but i am unable to track it. 

Social source share

Standard postage rates for the UK are pretty well known and its fair enough to include another 20-30p to cover the mailer and packing as well as the tape,  labels etc sellers have to buy .

Anyone adding too much is really taking the piss .

I sell a lot of records on Discog's and you gotta take the rough with the smooth , you get some good sales and some with little or no profit margin , I've lost count of orders I've had to Europe or the US for a 50p or £1 record once Paypal takes its cut I just break even .

I had a joker from Germany the other day asking for front and back photo's of both sides of the vinyl and same again for the record sleeve ...... I checked the record and I had it for sale for 50p !!!!!! 

When I post to Canada and the USA I always end up loosing money on postage .

I had an order today - 3 LPs to Canada and I estimated the postage and packaging at £12 it came it at the Post Office at £14.65 as I'd packed it well so I had to take the £2.45 hit , no  way am I gonna go back to the buyer to tell him I underestimated the postal cost that would be bad form .

At the end of the day the dealer should be well aware about the postage costs , in the UK anyway and be fair in setting them .

I'm gonna have to review my costs elsewhere :pirate:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had a one from E bay recently that I won the auction £78 wanted $60 for posting a 45 questioned him as to the high cost his answer was it was going to be sent by USPS & insured asked him to come back with a realistic price

Once again someone trying it on , I gave him negative feedback still have not had a reply from him

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

it is really quite simple, not sure why so many have trouble with the shipping process and the costs...

i guess some sellers think pissing off their customers is a good thing. :^/

i've never had an issue with packaging. if anything, i've obtained good feedback because of my shipping methodology...

LPs, 45s, 78s... the only thing i haven't shipped is an actual band.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/seller_feedback/78s 
https://pastfinds.blogspot.com/2008/07/past-finds-garage.html 

https://pastfinds.blogspot.com/2008/07/past-finds_30.html

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=vinylrecords337&ftab=AllFeedback 

Social source share

When buying records you look at the price of the item & the price of the postage.

You then agree to buy the item - remember it is you who wants the item.

Why complain afterwards about the prices you are charged ?

You have 2 choices.

A) Buy the record
B) Don't buy the record

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, epic said:

When buying records you look at the price of the item & the price of the postage.

You then agree to buy the item - remember it is you who wants the item.

Why complain afterwards about the prices you are charged ?

You have 2 choices.

A) Buy the record
B) Don't buy the record

my original post was regarding paying for a service ie recorded delivery at the price agreed then finding out they have sent it at a cheaper option and keeping the difference !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sammy seaman
Social source share

18 minutes ago, sammy seaman said:

my original post was regarding paying for a service ie recorded delivery at the price agreed then finding out they have sent it at a cheaper option and keeping the difference !!!!!!!!!!

If the record arrives at the agreed price (including postage) & in the condition stated I don't really see the problem.

Social source share

24 minutes ago, epic said:

If the record arrives at the agreed price (including postage) & in the condition stated I don't really see the problem.

I paid £3.50 as requested for recorded post ! he sent it just ist class £1.27 so where did the other £2.23 go not back to me !!!do you get it now ?

Social source share

Guest woody1971
2 hours ago, sammy seaman said:

just read your original post,at no point do you mention what service you were being charged for just what you expected (and agree bang out of order if that happens)what you said was quoted £3.50 and when arrived it was £1.27,but you agreed £3.50 and the seller did what was expected of him/her. as epic said

2 hours ago, epic said:

2 hours ago, sammy seaman said:

I paid £3.50 as requested for recorded post ! he sent it just ist class £1.27 so where did the other £2.23 go not back to me !!!do you get it now ?

as for the £2.23 if you did agree for recorded delivery put in a claim with paypal/ebay,otherwise without wishing to some rude its none of your business you agreed to it.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, woody1971 said:

just read your original post,at no point do you mention what service you were being charged for just what you expected (and agree bang out of order if that happens)what you said was quoted £3.50 and when arrived it was £1.27,but you agreed £3.50 and the seller did what was expected of him/her. as epic said

as for the £2.23 if you did agree for recorded delivery put in a claim with paypal/ebay,otherwise without wishing to some rude its none of your business you agreed to it.

I give up !!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Always split the postage costs 50/50 with the buyer as its pricey from NZ so works out @ 4UK that's packed well in new bubble wrap mail bag , on high price records never charge postage

Ian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could someone please tell me how on earth a record is protected better in a new mailer with new cardboard than recycled?. It is Certainly not going to sound any better because it's in a new mailer. Given that all cardboard protection bends very easy one way (along the line of the corrugation, but is very stiff the other way) I am shocked at how many people send records with the corrugation on the cardboard inner all running the same way. If folks are paranoid about records breaking then 6mm ply from b&q is the best bet, the bigger the sheet you buy the cheaper it is. Even if you get the smallest sheets will get you 18 mailer protectors for about 30p each. Cutting a seven inch square with a saw is hardly rocket science and Much stronger than any cardboard. As for postage rates, well the same people have been taking the piss for years. Would have thought anything more than 50p on top of the actual postage is taking an unnecessary advantage of somebody who very often struggles to afford the purchase in the first place.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!