• Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest jbriscoe26
28 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Give us a clue!?

60's,70's - male female. Crossover, stomper?

Sorry! It's by a female singer or group (probably group). Ballad sort, I'd say crossover, quite Motowny. Sings: "I'd change everything about me, how I dress and what I say. I'd do anything to please him, I want to please him every day..."

Social source share

• Solution

The song is "For The Love Of Mike" by Patrice Holloway.

It was recorded in February, 1965 and was unreleased. It's available on "This Is Northern Soul Volume 2"

(Debutante) or "Love And Desire- The Patrice Holloway Anthology" (Ace / Kent). I don't  think it was 

released legitimately on vinyl. 

Edited by the yank
Social source share

Guest jbriscoe26
On 5/19/2016 at 02:08, the yank said:

The song is "For The Love Of Mike" by Patrice Holloway.

It was recorded in February, 1965 and was unreleased. It's available on "This Is Northern Soul Volume 2"

(Debutante) or "Love And Desire- The Patrice Holloway Anthology" (Ace / Kent). I don't  think it was 

released legitimately on vinyl. 

HA! So it's the love of Mike, not the love of mine? Thanks so much!

Social source share

28 minutes ago, jbriscoe26 said:

HA! So it's the love of Mike, not the love of mine? Thanks so much!

The title is Mike, but most of the the time she she sings mine except when there's a rhyme with 'like'

There's a studio acetate of it, which exists because it never got returned to  the manufactures to be re-coated (it was cheaper to re-coat than buy  a new one at the time)

ftlom.jpg

josie & pussycats.jpg

Edited by simon t
Social source share

Guest jbriscoe26
42 minutes ago, simon t said:

The title is Mike, but most of the the time she she sings mine except when there's a rhyme with 'like'

There's a studio acetate of it, which exists because it never got returned to  the manufactures to be re-coated (it was cheaper to re-coat than buy  a new one at the time)

ftlom.jpg

josie & pussycats.jpg

As if it wasn't hard enough to find some of these records! Singing different lyrics doesn't help much haha. That's really interesting, the story behind the record there.
So you think there's just one recorded vinyl copy?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, jbriscoe26 said:

As if it wasn't hard enough to find some of these records! Singing different lyrics doesn't help much haha. That's really interesting, the story behind the record there.
So you think there's just one recorded vinyl copy?

I don't think there is a vinyl copy of 'Mike', just the acetate pictured above.  She did have a vinyl release on the Motown subsidiary  V.I.P. -  Stevie /  (He is)The Boy of My Dreams, but there are very few copies of it about. Patrice is top right in the picture above; I believe her recording career was cut short due to mental health issues

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert