Twisted Wheel and The Abadi brothers in Blackpool

I seem to recall a conversation some years ago with someone talking about the Abadi brothers, and the fact they also had a club in Blackpool similar to the Wheel in Manchester, and running at the same time. Can any Wheel aficionados confirm this as true and to what extent did the club run to ie similar music policy, dates it ran from and to etc.  It would be great to have comments from people who frequented the club and if there exists any photos you can upload. I believe this club rarely gets a mention but it was surely a big part of what was to become the Northern scene in Blackpool along with the then unheard of Highland Room. Thanks in advance, Tony.

Edited by suinoz
Social source share

Way before my time - but yes there WAS a Blackpool club - also called the Twisted Wheel (as it happens my old boss used to go) - whilst soul-ish it was much more lightweight/mainstream than the Manchester club.

Dx

PS Don't think they ever ran all night.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Yes (unless my memory is playing tricks on me) they also had a club called the Twisted Wheel in Blackpool (this would have been around the late 60's). I have no idea when it opened & closed though. I do recall being given free tickets to go to Sunday sessions there when attending a Saturday night niter around that time. As we were from Yorkshire & heading in the opposite direction on a Sunday morning, we never took up the invitation.

We were also given free tickets to attend the Manc club's Sunday afternoon sessions & never went to those either. I do know that both clubs had similar music policies (i.e. soul).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 6 years later...

Well, now, only just spotted this post. I went to the Blackpool Twisted Wheel on two or three occasions, I was living in Blackley, Manchester at the time. One time was on the coach trip from the Twisted Wheel Manchester which was on Easter Sunday, 1967. A day to remember...

Here is a link to more information on Soulbot.uk:

https://soulbot.uk/twisted-wheel-blackpool.htm/

BLACKPOOL-Twisted-Wheel-Trip-1967-300x239.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!