Tammi Lynn

Sean Hampsey

:yes:

I need this on Soul Sounds SS 1006.

No, ................ I mean I really need it.

Apart from the fact that it brings me right back to my youth... its the final piece in the jigsaw to help me complete the label (got all of the other Soul Sounds releases... except this one).

Anyone?

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest martinsbox

:lol:

Apart from the fact that it brings me right back to my youth... its the final piece in the jigsaw to help me complete the label (got all of the other Soul Sounds releases... except this one).

Anyone?

Sean

Wasn't SS1030 Dobie Gray "Out on the floor" the rarest Soul Sounds 45?

Jeff King's Soul $ounds Label.

The 'Soul Sounds' label was run by 'Jeff King' of 'Leicester' who was originally an importer and cottoned on quickly to the idea of 'Bootlegging' as D.J.s started moving into the Rare Soul Field. He sold most of his records at All-nighters and through shops like 'Ralphs' of Manchester, who still has quantaties of these disc's today. The recording of these disc's was sometimes very poor but of course it was the only way they were available at a reasonable price. This label started a trend that has carried on through to today with labels like 'O.O.T.P.' and the 'SIMON SOUSSAN' series. Every record on 'Soul Sounds' came out on British release apart from No.1 which 'Baby Reconcider' Leon Haywood on 'Fat Fish'. Eventually the law caught up with 'Mr. King' and he went to prison for one thing or another but he left behind '30' disc's of which there is now a following and copies of certain ones have changed hands for £5.00p. Further info. on Mr. King' was hard to obtain, he seemed to be a bit of a mystery but if 'Keith Minshull' (who was supposed to provide a lot of the original disc's for recording) or 'Mr. King' would like to write anything on the label the pages of 'NEW SOULTIME' were open.

PREFIX SS 10 ARTIST (S). TITLE.

01LEON HAYWOOD.BABY RECONCIDER.

02DONALD HEIGHT.TALK OF THE GRAPEVINE.

03JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING.READY WILLING AND ABLE.

04SHIRLEY ELLIS.SOUL TIME.

05HUMAN BEINZ.NOBODY BUT ME.

06TAMMI LYNN.I'M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU.

07GENE CHANDLER.THERE WAS A TIME.

08ROUND ROBIN.KICK THAT LITTLE FOOT SALLY ANN.

09INVITATIONS.WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY.

10EARL HARRISON.HUMPHREY STOMP.

11ALEXANDER PATTON.A LIL' LOVIN SOMETIMES.

12CHUCK JACKSON.CHAINS OF LOVE.

13DEAN PARRISH.DETERMINATION.

14PEACHES AND HERB.WE'RE IN THIS THING TOGETHER.

15MARY LOVE.YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET.

16BARBARA LEWIS.SOMEDAY WE'RE GONNA LOVE AGAIN.

17MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS.BREAK OUT.

18BLENDELLS.DANCE WITH ME.

19SOUL SISTERS.GOOD TIME TONIGHT.

20DEAN PARRISH.TELL HER.

21LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS.GONNA FIX YOU GOOD.

22CHUBBY CHECKER.(AT THE) DISCOTEQUE.

23THE SHARPEES.(a) TIRED OF BEING LONELY. ( cool.gif DO THE 45.

24ROSCOE ROBINSON.THAT'S ENOUGH.

25INCREDIBLES.THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO SAY.

26HOMER BANKS.HOOKED BY LOVE.

27MARGIE HENDRIX.RESTLESS.

28BOBBY SHEEN.DR. LOVE.

29RONNIE MILSAP.AIN'T NO SOUL (LEFT IN THESE OLD SHOES).

30DOBIE GRAY.OUT ON THE FLOOR.

Martin

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Sean

Wasn't SS1030 Dobie Gray "Out on the floor" the rarest Soul Sounds 45?

Hi again Martin,

Not in my experience... I've had Dobie Gray for over 20 years, although I dont recall seeing another on my travels, so I'm sure that it is damn rare these days.

The ones that took me ages to obtain were:-

Roscoe Robinson - Picked up a MINTER off ebay only a couple of months ago.

Human Beinz - Was donated a scruffy (but very welcome) old copy by Pete Smith around the same time as the Roscoe, when he heard of my plight.

And now, finally, I NEED the Tammi Lynn!

I've kinda 'collected' the label (in a 'soft' I'll pick 'em up when I see them manner) for well over 30 years... but then during the 70's & 80's I 'collected' every goddamn label.

It's only been the past 18 months or so that I realised I was 3 short of the set and now, because I've been a bit more proactive, I'm down to the final piece.

Hey, it's no big deal. If I die tonight I won't feel I've missed my vocation in life if I don't get one... but it would be nice!

So please. anyone out there hanging onto one, lets do business!

Cheers

ranting_1.gif

sean Hampsey

Social source share

I've still got the one I bought on Mojo in 1971 from Smiths ranting_1.gif

Now that brings back memories - I had it on Mojo for ages, only selling it after upgrading to a US Atco copy in '98ish...

By the way, anyone know the history behind the alternate take that seems to be on a few compilation CDs (how it was discovered as in)?

(PS - Sean, you may remember me as Neil, tho' you probably wouldn't recognise me now - I've put a lot of weight on since back inthe day :shhh: )

Edited by soulAdequate
Social source share

Now that brings back memories - I had it on Mojo for ages, only selling it after upgrading to a US Atco copy in '98ish...

By the way, anyone know the history behind the alternate take that seems to be on a few compilation CDs (how it was discovered as in)?

(PS - Sean, you may remember me as Neil, tho' you probably wouldn't recognise me now - I've put a lot of weight on since back inthe day :lol: )

Known a lot of Neils in my life (not in the Biblical sense though :thumbsup: )

Neil what mate?

Would be good to know.

Sean

Social source share

Here's a little clue for you Sean.

Neil had a record box at Clifton Hall with flashing lights on it.

Neil Page then Martin!

Clowne's finest.

Top Lad young Neil.

Had Great taste (always danced to my stuff).

Used to come on my bus to Clethorpes too.

But that box... and Neil... are legendary!

Happy times.... 20+ years ago.

Neil Bloody Page.

Well I never!

How you doing Neil?

Sean

PS:

BTW. He was actually just as good a dancer as you young Kenneth!

It was always a toss up between you, Neil and Eric (remember Eric) as to who was most entertaining to watch from the stage.

You were my standout three (standout FIVE if you count Hockey & Mick Scott) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sean, Steve,

I'm doing fine (as New York City might have sang) thanks - I'm afraid my dancing skills are a pale shadow of what they were back in the day :lol: , doesn't stop me trying at places like Ponds Forge tho'...as some readers probably already know, I'm also involved with a semi-regular soul night in Clowne which will become regular (last Saturday of every month) in November whistling.gif

Do you guys still get out and about on the scene? I'll keep my eyes open huh.gif

(PS - unfortunately I don't have the flashing box anymore, my current vinyl box is a metal 400-er on which I've stuck an Apple sticker so I can jokingly call it a prototype iPod :huh: )

Edited by soulAdequate
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:thumbsup:

Anyone?

Sean

Another Bump... anyone?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Guest TONY ROUNCE

?

I am probably the only person that likes Kiki Dee's version of this song. :wicked:

No, there are at least two of us, and at least one of us likes it better than Tami Lynn's version :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

TRIVIA CORNER

Did you know that she is actually singing "I've gotta run away from you", or is it just me :wicked:

...It's just you who's singing "I've Gotta Run...", mate - Tami actually sings "Whyyyyy - Don't I Run Away From You--ahoo..." :)

Social source share

...It's just you who's singing "I've Gotta Run...", mate - Tami actually sings "Whyyyyy - Don't I Run Away From You--ahoo..." :yes:

You got it Tone, that's more like it :yes: .....I knew it wasn't "I'm Gonna Run Away From You"....been ages since I've listened to it......err...that's my excuse anyway whistling.gif

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Sure I saw this on Friday for sale at Bury( can't remember whose box though)

Do you still need it?

Julian

Many thanks Julian.... but No I don't.

I recently picked up two copies, within the space of a fortnight, off eBay.

So that's it. I can sleep at night.

The Soul Sounds Bootleg collection is now complete.

Only taken me 30 years to get them all!

So... what next? Shrine? Youngstown?

Nah.... OOTP... much more of a challenge!

laugh.gif

Thanks again.

Sean

Social source share

Many thanks Julian.... but No I don't.

I recently picked up two copies, within the space of a fortnight, off eBay.

So that's it. I can sleep at night.

The Soul Sounds Bootleg collection is now complete.

Only taken me 30 years to get them all!

So... what next? Shrine? Youngstown?

Nah.... OOTP... much more of a challenge!

laugh.gif

Thanks again.

Sean

Try collecting Wand mate - a lifetime endeavour!

Social source share

Thanks Pete.

Superb stuff.

Just as a matter of interest, anyone on here rate her "Never No More" track?

Features on the "Love Is Here" LP and on the flip of the "That's Understanding" 45.

I always rated it... but never heard it played out.

Anybody know it? Love it? Hate it?

Sean

Social source share

No, there are at least two of us, and at least one of us likes it better than Tami Lynn's version yes.gif

Kiki Dee's version was actually played at our small night in Walthamstow on Saturday by guest DJ Tim Fuller (Tim the Mod on here) - first time I've heard it, so you are not alone!

Dave

Social source share

Source Advert