Xl Records

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

Last one for tonight....

I have beti web 'I Know' on XL Records......

I know a good few came out on this logo........

cheers

mel

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest melandthensome

Can anyone say if it is the same XL logo for all the sounds mentioned please..as I only assumed they were one and the same......

thanks for all the above :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Toomy Raye and Betti Webb, defo the same label - others????

Yes, all these XL records are linked. The label was formed, and run, by Gene Lucchesi in the early 1960s and it functioned, on and off, well into the 80s.

XL's biggest ever signing (and record) was Sam The Sham and the Pharoahs' "Wooly Bully', which they sold to MGM. And keeping that MGM connection, Sounds Of Memphis (which MGM distributed) was also an XL label...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

nice one Tony.......

Despite its title, a really good XL single is the last one on the label (from c. 1981), "Everybody Cried (The Day Disco Died)" by Rufus Thomas. The title escapes me for the present, but the flip is a really nice Southern Soul ballad, too.

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Despite its title, a really good XL single is the last one on the label (from c. 1981), "Everybody Cried (The Day Disco Died)" by Rufus Thomas. The title escapes me for the present, but the flip is a really nice Southern Soul ballad, too.

TONE :lol:

Aha, you're right Tony, forgot about the Rufus 45.

The flip of "Everybody Cried" is called "I'd Love To Love You, Again" if memory serves me right.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Aha, you're right Tony, forgot about the Rufus 45.

The flip of "Everybody Cried" is called "I'd Love To Love You, Again" if memory serves me right.

:thumbsup:

Sean

...Yes, that sounds about right, my friend. It wasn't actually given a full release, either - Linda Lucchesi (daughter of Gene) has a lock up full of copies, somewhere in Memphis. As I understand it, those that are in circulation are all copies that were given out as promos, before the decision not to release it was taken.

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Last one for tonight....

I have beti web 'I Know' on XL Records......

I know a good few came out on this logo........

cheers

mel

Nice label indeed, with some great Memphis soul releases next to those already mentioned: Spencer Wiggins (2x, never seen these 45s though, only know the tracks from a Japanese compilation), Ann Hodge, Charles Chalmers, ...

Peter

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know it sounds unlikely but I think I've seen Alvin Cash "Twine time" on XL a couple of times on Ebay.

ROD

You didn't imagine this, Rod - I have a copy. It's a late 60s recut. The funk boys go for it in quite a big way, I'm told by one such funk boy who sits across the Ace office from me...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert