Earl Jackson

Colsoul

the Earl Jackson on ebay  w/d soul self satisfaction, has flip side looking thru the eyes of love

the one I have has sss on both sides and thought and bought it as original ?  anyone know if it came out twice on demo as on popsike there are two type faces used one like mine and one thicker and bolder, col

Edited by colsoul
addition
Social source share

Track produced, arranged & conducted by Johnny Pate who also co-wrote the song.

I visited him back when he lived in Vegas and made a point of asking him about this cut.

"Who was it by & what was the song title" he said ... "have no memory of that session at all & can't even recall working with a guy called Earl Jackson".

So much for getting the low down on this NS anthem then.

Picture of Johnny with a few of the 45's I'd taken along (got the sleeves autographed). 

JohnnyPate.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Roburt said:

Track produced, arranged & conducted by Johnny Pate who also co-wrote the song.

I visited him back when he lived in Vegas and made a point of asking him about this cut.

"Who was it by & what was the song title" he said ... "have no memory of that session at all & can't even recall working with a guy called Earl Jackson".

So much for getting the low down on this NS anthem then.

I guess the rolling mill quantity of arrangements and productions not hard to believe.

Social source share

On 4/16/2016 at 13:05, colsoul said:

the Earl Jackson on ebay  w/d soul self satisfaction, has flip side looking thru the eyes of love

the one I have has sss on both sides and thought and bought it as original ?  anyone know if it came out twice on demo as on popsike there are two type faces used one like mine and one thicker and bolder, col

I've never seen a demo with SSS on both sides and I cant find any mention or evidence of one anywhere, I've had both type faces and both had Looking Thru as the flip side.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Sometimes you just can't win ...............   I chased up my New York contacts ..... that's coz ......... Earl Jackson was a singer & a songwriter but he had little success as a singer, so I went off down the songs road ....

..... Turns out that Earl wrote in partnership with a number of guys .......

1st off is Gregory Carroll: GC was originally from Baltimore but was then NY based & wrote for the likes of Doris Troy. He produced stuff for NY based Twirl Records (Jo Ann Courcy) + Tina Florence for APT.  GC also wrote FOR J R Bailey (Chuck Wood -- who was also from Baltimore originally but moved to NY to finish his schooling & then stayed on) and for Billy Frazier (NY based ?).

2nd; He wrote with (Josie) Armstead & (Valerie) Simpson  - then NY based.

3rd; he wrote with Johnny Mitchell, a NY based guy. He also wrote with Bobby Smith (who arranged stuff for Sonny Knight & Jimmy Robins).

He wrote with Morty Craft (who worked with the likes of Faye Adams, Tony Middleton, Diplomats & Earl Grant in NY).

Lastly, he also wrote with Roger Bass (Gwen Owens & the Utopias).

I chased up the little indie music publishing company Benday Music (based in NY) that represents Earl. There I got in touch with the publisher's rep Vanessa Benton.

I got this message back ........     I'm sorry I can't be of any help to you. I do wish you the best on tracking him down. If I come across any information that would be helpful I will let you know. Best of Luck.    Sincerely, Vanessa Benton ........... (no doubt she's the Ben in BENday).

So it seems that we are fated to never get the full SP on Earl Jackson ........... SORRY ......... 

EarlJacksonSongs.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!