Anyone Into The Blues

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

:P I am a big fan of the blues the music as well as EVERTON FC ho ho.... :thumbsup: anyone else.

:thumbsup: oops forgot this...

sorry about the double posts....

49628.jpg(post-6164-1159900067_thumb.jpg

50264.jpg(post-6164-1159900086_thumb.jpg

49628.jpg(post-6164-1159900097_thumb.jpg

49634.jpg(post-6164-1159900111_thumb.jpg

49637.jpg(post-6164-1159900151_thumb.jpg

49637.jpg(post-6164-1159900187_thumb.jpg

49631.jpg(post-6164-1159900234_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest melandthensome

been there mate

got a lot of blues on mp3 and I mean a lot thanks to my sadly deceased buddy frank jackson.He turned me onto hundreds of blues and then some.

cheers

mel

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Can never name a top anything mate

could never commit myself :thumbsup:

I did a big thread with Robb Klein on Soulful Detroit Forum a while ago covering a lot of blues RnB sounds with Cobra scans etc on there its in the archives if you ever go on there.

Social source share

Can never name a top anything mate

could never commit myself :thumbsup:

I did a big thread with Robb Klein on Soulful Detroit Forum a while ago covering a lot of blues RnB sounds with Cobra scans etc on there its in the archives if you ever go on there.

Been there done that..........so what do you rate on the label COBRA? ATB Steve

Social source share

Harold Burrage - She Knocks Me Out - Cobra

Has got to be the contender for the best release on the label, although it has some great releases by Betty Everett, Otis Rush and Magic Sam to name a few.

Hi Joe, which ,amongst B.E. O.R . M.S. is your fave? ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

:shades: I am a big fan of the blues the music as well as EVERTON FC ho ho.... :P anyone else.

:P oops forgot this...

sorry about the double posts....

Yeh....heres a couple I like

Social source share

Guest scratuglia

Capricorn released a double-CD box set in the 90's containg all the songs mentioned above..They weren't sure when owner Eli Toscano died.

Social source share

:P I am a big fan of the blues the music as well as EVERTON FC ho ho.... :P anyone else.

Hi Mel, to get back to your question before it went a wanderin' off on a StevieZ ego thing :shades: .

I like the blues too, grew up with 'em and R&B, put on to some great things in my younger days by my old friend Lez Scott learned there was more to blues than city blues a la Chicago and listened to the country blues by artists like Charly Patton, Peetie Wheatstraw and the ubiqitous Robert Johnson who had a more urban approach, the boogie woogie of Pete Johnson, Katie Webster, the harmonica of Snooky Pryor, the great Elmore James, all good stuff. A great book to read Mel if you haven't already or anyone interested in the blues is "The Story of the Blues" by Paul Oliver, some great pics in it too.

God don't ya just lurve Black American Music, I do :P

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

thanks for all the replies

Del Tee

I am a big fan of harmonica blues and also love peetie wheatshaw.

Okeh gaz

there were various blues festivals in Burnley as I recall but I never got to any but have a few good flyers for them.

cheers miss popcorn and pikeys dog......

Hey joan......sweet. :)

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Heres a few various blues not hard core blues but stuff here n there I like.

R.Johnson-dust my broom-Vocalion

floyd dixon-call operator 210-uk London/import aladdin

Muddy Waters-I feel like going home-Aristocrat

BB King-found what I need-bluesway

TBone Walker-teenage baby-Liberty/London

TBone Walker-hustle is on-London/Liberty

Jimmy Reed-baby what you want me to do/caress me baby-Top Rank/vee jay

got loads these as I said are not your 'gut-bucket' blues but have plenty of them.

mel

Social source share

Del Tee.......pete johnson.

whoo yes ranting_1.gif " The Kansas City Blues Shouter" what a voice, perfect with Petes barrelhouse piano, check out Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis too Mel and listen to their left hand pounding the keys, driving stuff

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

'Honky tonk train blues' is a classic Del Tee by Meade Lux Lewis

was listening to a few by him last week mate

Albert Ammons great stuff............ooh yeah. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

'Honky tonk train blues' is a classic Del Tee by Meade Lux Lewis

was listening to a few by him last week mate

Albert Ammons great stuff............ooh yeah. ranting_1.gif

'swanee river boogie' by albert ammons I guess was his best known track.......didnt he once tour with pete johnson?

I love the boogie woogie style pianists.

Social source share

Hi Mel, to get back to your question before it went a wanderin' off on a StevieZ ego thing :thumbsup: .

I like the blues too, grew up with 'em and R&B, put on to some great things in my younger days by my old friend Lez Scott learned there was more to blues than city blues a la Chicago and listened to the country blues by artists like Charly Patton, Peetie Wheatstraw and the ubiqitous Robert Johnson who had a more urban approach, the boogie woogie of Pete Johnson, Katie Webster, the harmonica of Snooky Pryor, the great Elmore James, all good stuff. A great book to read Mel if you haven't already or anyone interested in the blues is "The Story of the Blues" by Paul Oliver, some great pics in it too.

God don't ya just lurve Black American Music, I do ranting_1.gif

Hi.Since when has asking questions about someones like of a particular type of music equated to an ego trip?

Ike Turner was a session musician for the Cobra label.

Pop onto Google and type.......The Cobra Records Story.

You'll find relevant info .

I am aware of just two more Cobra labels........Arlene Bailey on one and Rod Andrea ,amongst others on the other cobra label.

ATB Steve

Social source share

Hi.Since when has asking questions about someones like of a particular type of music equated to an ego trip?

Hi Steve, Maybe it's the way you word them but the way I read your above posts you seemed to be questioning Mel on his knowledge of the Cobra label, not his liking for the blues.

Derek.

Social source share

Hi Steve, Maybe it's the way you word them but the way I read your above posts you seemed to be questioning Mel on his knowledge of the Cobra label, not his liking for the blues.

Derek.

Hi Derek,thanks for your response.........I collect and own a variety of genres of music types some of "the blues" are brill IMO some are not....I was merely trying to ascertain a favourite ........and the best.....Any way try a guy from Germany......who has a site .

AUKTION...of 78s....and a guy in the 'States....set sale 29...

PS I do word awkwardly sometimes :lol: ATB Steve

Social source share

Hi Derek,thanks for your response.........I collect and own a variety of genres of music types some of "the blues" are brill IMO some are not....I was merely trying to ascertain a favourite ........and the best.....Any way try a guy from Germany......who has a site .

PS I do word awkwardly sometimes :thumbsup: ATB Steve

Apologies for the initial comment, it was done "tongue in cheek".

Maybe it's the way I worded it :lol:

I collect too, mainly black american, from blues to funk and beyond and everything in between!! In fact I was once so biased if I found out a record I had was by a white person or group I'd move it on, sad eh? not so bad now though, maybe a tinge of disappointment if I found that was the case now :lol: ..........I know...., still sad :D .

Will check out those sites in the A:M when I do my browsing, thanks

Derek

Social source share

'swanee river boogie' by albert ammons I guess was his best known track.......didnt he once tour with pete johnson?

I love the boogie woogie style pianists.

Wouldn't mind the album you put up earlier Mel, also the 78s look interesting ,do you have many?

Joe Turner, Pete Johnson, Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis all worked together in a residency at the Cafe Society Uptown in New York according to Paul Olivers book, imagine sitting in the club when they were "cooking", blown your bloody head off!!....good thread IMO Mel...something a bit different :thumbsup:

Derek

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Cheers Del Tee

I have one or two records mate nothing to fancy will post more later with other things.....

yeah imagine sat down then you hear the twinklin of the ivories 'the calm before the storm' before big joe leaps out at ya......jeeze. :thumbsup:

bjoeturner.jpg(post-6164-1160108515_thum

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Cheers Del Tee

I have one or two records mate nothing to fancy will post more later with other things.....

yeah imagine sat down then you hear the twinklin of the ivories 'the calm before the storm' before big joe leaps out at ya......jeeze. :thumbsup:

must of been pretty handy 'our joe' as he did the doors as well.....

Social source share

does anyone remember Sailor Vernon's"Sailors Delight" Blues fanzine in the 80ts?.....it was a good source of cheap soul 45s...(although he was somewhat disparaging about them)......it was a laff as well......very entertaining........heres a sample Sales page......i rang up for number 5055 but it had gone....... :yes:

Social source share

PS I do word awkwardly sometimes :yes: ATB Steve

Hi Stevie, Hi Mel, you blue nosed git :yes:

For me, by far the best 45 on the Cobra label is Duke Jenkins & his Orchestra doing 'Shake It'.

What an awesome track, which I've played at two or three venues, including the Hideaway where it went down very well.

There, you happy now Stevie? laugh.gif

Social source share

Heyyyyy Dennis.......

WHO WON THE DERBY BRO'...........YEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWW

ahem.... :yes:

Best result you've had against Liverpool in the last 42 years . . . . yes, 42 YEARS!!!

Apart from that, howzu doin'?

I'm at work (yes, still in Norway), it's your afternoon off ain't it?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert