Ready Steady Go

Much has been said on this topic over time, but what IS the generally accepted view as to the existence of any Ready Steady Go footage OTHER THAN the small amount that has been commercially available for years ... ?

Is it possible that Dave Clark really has got the WHOLE series stashed away in his basement , or is that an urban myth ? If he does, is he doing an "Allen Klein" and not letting the rest of the world see the stuff .... ?

Or is it a sad fact that the tapes really were erased back then for re-use, as the public has often been told ?

There were reputedly so many fantastic performances by so many legendary Soul artists, it would be an absolute revelation if some or all of the footage could be retrieved ...

Perhaps Pete Smith could advise ?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Much has been said on this topic over time, but what IS the generally accepted view as to the existence of any Ready Steady Go footage OTHER THAN the small amount that has been commercially available for years ... ?

Is it possible that Dave Clark really has got the WHOLE series stashed away in his basement , or is that an urban myth ? If he does, is he doing an "Allen Klein" and not letting the rest of the world see the stuff .... ?

Or is it a sad fact that the tapes really were erased back then for re-use, as the public has often been told ?

There were reputedly so many fantastic performances by so many legendary Soul artists, it would be an absolute revelation if some or all of the footage could be retrieved ...

Perhaps Pete Smith could advise ?

Apparently Clark's footage is all that's left. It was found in a building which was being demolished. The only chance of anything turning up in my opinion is if it comes from overseas like some of the BBC clips have (sent out to foreign tv stations). Although nobody knows what private collectors have got, I've been in touch with a guy who has thousands of clips from 60's shows but he just won't let them go unless he trades them for things of equal rarity. Won't sell them.

Now and again things turn up - I got The NME Poll Winners Shows at Wembley from 64 and 65, both obviously stolen from ABC TV at some time as it has their count ins at the beginning.

Social source share

Apparently Clark's footage is all that's left. It was found in a building which was being demolished. The only chance of anything turning up in my opinion is if it comes from overseas like some of the BBC clips have (sent out to foreign tv stations). Although nobody knows what private collectors have got, I've been in touch with a guy who has thousands of clips from 60's shows but he just won't let them go unless he trades them for things of equal rarity. Won't sell them.

Now and again things turn up - I got The NME Poll Winners Shows at Wembley from 64 and 65, both obviously stolen from ABC TV at some time as it has their count ins at the beginning.

Thanks Pete, do you think there might be some "home made" tapes of RSG , as in, did yer average British TV viewer at the time have access to early/primitive tape machines ?

Social source share

Thanks Pete, do you think there might be some "home made" tapes of RSG , as in, did yer average British TV viewer at the time have access to early/primitive tape machines ?

Well I've seen beatles clips recorded on 8mm cameras so I guess it's possible. Not quite the same, but my ex wife had some reel to reels of Top Of The Pops from 1967 which her dad recorded at the time - one had Pink Floyd doing See Emily Play - an episode which the BBC don't have any longer. Shame it's only an audio recording!

Social source share

I have a 4 hour VHS of RSG from when compilation shows were shown on (I think) channel four in the early 80's. Not watched it for years some soul stuff and some chart and a cool clip of some dancers doing the latest dance -The Bread and Butter to the Newbeats :thumbsup:

Social source share

some of you on here obviously havent read what I have posted about this in earlier threads

I have a ready steady go compilation dvd with about 8 or 10 shows on it , including motown and otis redding , beatles and stones

so yes there is footage out there already on dvd , probably transferred from tapes or cine

Social source share

some of you on here obviously havent read what I have posted about this in earlier threads

I have a ready steady go compilation dvd with about 8 or 10 shows on it , including motown and otis redding , beatles and stones

so yes there is footage out there already on dvd , probably transferred from tapes or cine

yeah well it's a home made bootleg. so what, I could have done that for you, so there is actually NO official dvd footage of it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert