Gloria Bouschell - Another Man

Was wondering what the story was with the change of title and production credits on this one.

Mercury 73000 - Gloria Bouschell - Find Yourself Another Man - produced by Eugene Dixon

and

Mercury 73000 - Gloria Bouschell - Don't Make me Get Another Man - produced by Gene Chandler

The exact same cut to my ears and the same flip 'Hold On'.  White promo copies of both, and also a 'stamped promo' (on an otherwise red stock copy) of the 'Don't Make Me...' title.

Gloria supposedly worked with both Eugene Dixon and Gene Chandler but I'd love to know which of those two produced this, and which (if either?) was the first title.

:hatsoff2:- Kev

Social source share

1 hour ago, nickinstoke said:

Eugene Dixon is Gene Chandler's real name. No idea which title came first though

Well....I'm surprised I didn't know that, so it's a big thanks from me!  Seems the internet is a mine of misinformation - what with some folks saying she worked with both producers and others saying she had 2 releases and quoting the 2 titles of the same tune. :wink:

Social source share

10 minutes ago, KevinKent said:

Well....I'm surprised I didn't know that, so it's a big thanks from me!  Seems the internet is a mine of misinformation - what with some folks saying she worked with both producers and others saying she had 2 releases and quoting the 2 titles of the same tune. :wink:

Hi Kev

Good old Wiki has the low down too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Chandler

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I also wondered about the change in title, but always thought "Find Yourself Another Man" was a strange title since... why would the guy she's singing to want to find himself another... man? Presumably a mistake which was later rectified to "Don't Make Me Get Another Man"...

Great track, always wondered if it got northern spins - I bought it as a straight up funk 45, but can hear potential...

Edited by cover-up
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, cover-up said:

I also wondered about the change in title, but always thought "Find Yourself Another Man" was a strange title since... why would the guy she's singing to want to find himself another... man? Presumably a mistake which was later rectified to "Don't Make Me Get Another Man"...

Great track, always wondered if it got northern spins - I bought it as a straight up funk 45, but can hear potential...

There's some logic to your post.   It prompted me to have another good listen to see if it might have been intended for a male vocalist originally. Nope...no mention whatsoever of the title line 'find yourself another man' within the lyrics, whereas 'don't make me get another man' clearly is. Strange one.

As for plays, I haven't heard it played out but would be surprised if it hasn't been - especially more recently. It could fit nicely into the right set and I'd play it out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!