Telma Laverne - Baby Don't You Leave Me -Del-La Records out of Detroit

Guest Classic45s

Guest Classic45s

I'm seeking any advice and information on this rare item.  I've located about five price points on this record, with condition ranging from G up to Mint.   Does anyone have a thought on an appropriate price?  We do intend to sell these, and will of course share sound clips.

We've graded the label/vinyl and audio as best we can as follows, but we provide the sound clips and pictures for your own evaluation: The A label is actually a strong EX, with no writing and only very light ringwear, but the B label is VG with a couple of bits of small writing. The vinyl itself looks VG, with scuffing and some light scratches. Fortunately, it plays better than it looks, and I would grade the audio at EX, reflecting some surface noise and an occasional light "pop", but overall strong and undistorted.  It's interesting, but the audio improves quite dramatically on the A side from the first few spins, to something closer to EX+.  If anyone is interested in offering, we are $2,000 USD at this point.

telma1.jpg

telma2.jpg

Edited by Classic45s
Social source share

john manship  sold a minter for just over £1200 3 yrs ago .. but a ebay copy only in vg at best went for around £2k only 6 months ago.. its a rare 45 and still not that well known even if you auctioned this 45 it may fly but on another day could dissapoint... i`m sure i remember seeing a vg one around the £600 when john sold that minter

Social source share

Both sides used to get played in the 1980's around the Stafford period. 

I think George Sharp had it back then when he was DJing.

Two great sides.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 minutes ago, stanley said:

i think if someone offered me 2500 for my copy i,d say no its mint and a brill double header, but if you want to sell your copy no worries at 600 i,l take it as a second copy.

its probably a ten copy 45 in the uk  george and rarity wise its worth 5k+.... but evidence on sales so far are all over the place..frpm 600 to over £2000 for a G copy on ebay..i`m not sure even with its limited exposure its gone past being anymore than a detroit collectors piece...the potential is still there tho

Social source share

I've heard the NS side many times since the end of the '70s.  But, I don't remember ever hearing the flip side (which may have been the original "A" side.  I tend to like mid tempos and ballads more than the minor-key driven Northern Soul fast sides (i.e. I love "A Lover's Stand" much more than "The Airplane Song").  So, I'd  really love to hear "He's A Lucky Guy".  Can anyone post a soundfile of it?  I couldn't find it on The Internet.

Also - is Telma Laverne Telma Hopkins (her maiden name or middle name being Laverne)?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, stanley said:

i think your right ted in some circumstances, i remember getting a mixed reaction to my nurons all my life once as well same sort of tempo ,thats why i sold my jimmy bo horne and look what happening to that.....hey ho

wouldnt mind that Nurons George 

Social source share

13 hours ago, RobbK said:

I've heard the NS side many times since the end of the '70s.  But, I don't remember ever hearing the flip side (which may have been the original "A" side.  I tend to like mid tempos and ballads more than the minor-key driven Northern Soul fast sides (i.e. I love "A Lover's Stand" much more than "The Airplane Song").  So, I'd  really love to hear "He's A Lucky Guy".  Can anyone post a soundfile of it?  I couldn't find it on The Internet.

Also - is Telma Laverne Telma Hopkins (her maiden name or middle name being Laverne)?

Theres a clip on Face Book Rob

https://www.classic45s.com/jukebox/Hes_A_Lucky_Guy.mp3

Social source share

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

blimey ted , you,ll have to leave  me with something to play. but when the time comes,your are first i,ll contact  ,promise. but i,m buying a few bits again to be honest.nice to make aquaintence ted at burnley.best g

Yes George good to meet up m8

Social source share

On 28/03/2016 at 23:28, RobbK said:

"He's A Lucky Guy" has the same or very similar backing track to The Platters "Why Do You Want To Make Me Blue" Musicor.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

Johnnie Mae told me Telma Laverne and Telma Hopkins were the same person ..... She gave me the unlabelled studio acetate with 2 versions of both sides .... Slightly different mixes with count-in intros ...I like both sides

andy

Thanks, Andy.

Social source share

On 3/29/2016 at 19:11, solidsoul said:

"He's A Lucky Guy" has the same or very simlar backing track to The Platters "Why Do You Want To Make Me Blue" Musicor.

Lots of Platters mid to late 60's cuts were originally indie Detroit soul tracks ... the vocals had been removed, new lyrics written, the musical track sent to NY and Sonny Turner (with studio based backing singers) asked to sing the new lyrics over the original backing track.

Have no idea if this tune is one that received such a treatment BUT GUESS IT WAS.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!