The Eyes On Manship

Guest For Real

Guest For Real

Hey, I know it's not soul but I notice John Manship is auctioning the Eyes Ep - which includes the crunching, When the night falls. Sacrilage to some, probably, but brilliant record IMO!

Made me wonder, have any UK beat records ever been played on the Northern scene? And please forgive me if this is a very foolish question!

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hey, I know it's not soul but I notice John Manship is auctioning the Eyes Ep - which includes the crunching, When the night falls. Sacrilage to some, probably, but brilliant record IMO!

Made me wonder, have any UK beat records ever been played on the Northern scene? And please forgive me if this is a very foolish question!

Mark

The Eyes - never in a million years on the n soul scene -I have a copy of the EP at home along with a couple of their Mercury 45s (just need You're too much to complete the set) and brilliant in their place, as you say....

Soul scene wise - doubt if much has had mainstream acceptance - have played The Hipster Image - can't let her go (decca) and Band of Angels - Invitation (Pye) - the latter has gone down well, otherwise not sure what else beatwise ( as opposed to 'UK northern') would fit the bill... wouldn't count on the Action or the Artwoods, or the Birds cutting the soul scene mustard despite their brilliance :thumbsup:

Social source share

Didn't "Beggin'" by Timebox have plays on the northern scene?

As for The Eyes... "I'm Rowed Out"... what a tune!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

good call Seb re Timebox, in fact, thinking about in the sobre light of day, there must surely be LOADS more.... and yes, I'm rowed out :yes: .

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Mark

The Eyes are a bit of a mixed bag, they've released some wonderful freakbeat 45's most notable the fab "rowed out" but some rather dodgy stuff aswell.

As a footnote they also released an album entitled " Tribute to the Stones" under the guise of the Pupils....which I own and is very good....even though I'm not a massive Stones fan.

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

The Eyes - never in a million years on the n soul scene -I have a copy of the EP at home along with a couple of their Mercury 45s (just need You're too much to complete the set) and brilliant in their place, as you say....

Soul scene wise - doubt if much has had mainstream acceptance - have played The Hipster Image - can't let her go (decca) and Band of Angels - Invitation (Pye) - the latter has gone down well, otherwise not sure what else beatwise ( as opposed to 'UK northern') would fit the bill... wouldn't count on the Action or the Artwoods, or the Birds cutting the soul scene mustard despite their brilliance :P

BAND OF ANGELS WAS PLAYED AT THE TWISTED WHEEL !
Social source share

without even thinking about it there's people like

THE KUBAS

CHAPTER 5

JOHN ANDREWS & THE LONELY ONES

MANCHESTERS PLAYBOYS

VIP'S

BYSTANDERS

TIMEBOX

FELDERS ORIOLES

SIGHT & SOUND

OUTER LIMITS

POETS

HERBIE GOINS

JOHN LEES GROUNDHOGS

you could literally go on for ever..in fact you could probably come up with a list of about 100 groups just doing Motown covers

Social source share

THE KUBAS

CHAPTER 5

MANCHESTERS PLAYBOYS

VIP'S

BYSTANDERS

TIMEBOX

FELDERS ORIOLES

SIGHT & SOUND

OUTER LIMITS

POETS

HERBIE GOINS

JOHN LEES GROUNDHOGS

you could literally go on for ever..in fact you could probably come up with a list of about 100 groups just doing Motown covers

I took the original poster to be referring to UK beat acts which have been picked up on the soul scene rather than UK acts trying to 'do soul' - possibly a distinction somewhere in my warped mind that doesn't mean anything ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I took the original poster to be referring to UK beat acts which have been picked up on the soul scene rather than UK acts trying to 'do soul' - possibly a distinction somewhere in my warped mind that doesn't mean anything ranting_1.gif

Which is why I made a list of artists who have had records played on the Northern scene - duh

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Steve Aldo...?

Any Richard Kent stuff been played?

The only Richard Kent stuff that may have been played was " go go children" ...more of a mod sound really.

I actually met the bass player in King Bee records Manchester about a year ago.

Social source share

Action's version of 'baby you got it' works and 'never ever'

Chris Kerry, Dominic Grant, Shevells, Tony Colton, George Paul Jefferson, The Untamed...

annoyingly the Eyes EP is dropping in value as that Scottish collection has sourced up approx 30 mint copies ranting_1.gif

wow really? I hope it has 30 mint copies of the Artwoods EP as well as I'd love one of those - 'which' Scottish collection??? Thought I'd seen one or two mint ones for sale lately.... haven't seen the Eyes going for that much on ebay in recent years though, normally 300-400ukp, certainly hasn't 'kept pace' with, for example, northern 45s, even ones where 50- 100 copies or more have flooded onto the market etc.

Social source share

wow really? I hope it has 30 mint copies of the Artwoods EP as well as I'd love one of those - 'which' Scottish collection??? Thought I'd seen one or two mint ones for sale lately.... haven't seen the Eyes going for that much on ebay in recent years though, normally 300-400ukp, certainly hasn't 'kept pace' with, for example, northern 45s, even ones where 50- 100 copies or more have flooded onto the market etc.

the vinylvault guys huna1950silver843 bought out one of the biggest and mintiest UK issue collections in the country - an estate purchase

The Eyes EP is extremely over-rated IMHO - sound quality is low due compressing 2 tracks onto each side - better to hunt down the 2 normal 45s instead. It's also a pretty common EP anyway, always one or two copies available somewhere on the net. Saying that, I only have the EP - no pic sleeve so if someone has the EP, a hi-res scan of each side would be peachy thankyou very much! I'd guess Manship's copy is from this collection along with a lot of the UK 7s he currently has up for auction

Social source share

the vinylvault guys huna1950silver843 bought out one of the biggest and mintiest UK issue collections in the country - an estate purchase

The Eyes EP is extremely over-rated IMHO - sound quality is low due compressing 2 tracks onto each side - better to hunt down the 2 normal 45s instead. It's also a pretty common EP anyway, always one or two copies available somewhere on the net. Saying that, I only have the EP - no pic sleeve so if someone has the EP, a hi-res scan of each side would be peachy thankyou very much! I'd guess Manship's copy is from this collection along with a lot of the UK 7s he currently has up for auction

ah right yes, I have seen some of their stuff - in fact some unbelievable 60's stuff. Disagree with you on the 'general' rating (though not on the rarity) of the Eyes EP though, it's one of the coolest 60's 'artefacts' there is IMO and the sleeve is just amazing. Defo better to get the 45s for playing of course, but as EP's go, it's one of the best for me.....

Edited by martint
Social source share

THE KUBAS

CHAPTER 5

MANCHESTERS PLAYBOYS

VIP'S

BYSTANDERS

TIMEBOX

FELDERS ORIOLES

SIGHT & SOUND

OUTER LIMITS

POETS

HERBIE GOINS

JOHN LEES GROUNDHOGS

Hi Pete

Do you mean the Poets from Scotland, or the US group? The nearest the Scots guys got to soul was a freakbeat version of Marvin Gaye's 'Baby Don't Do It' and I can't imagine that being played at a northern do!

Tim

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert