NEV

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HI ALL SOUL GEEKS(EXPERTS)

WAS ONCE INFORMED THAT THIS VERSION WAS NEVER ISSUED BUT WAS ACTUALLY JOHNNIE MAE'S DAUGHTER .IS THIS TRUE ?

MUCHO APPRECIO ANY INFO

NEV :thumbsup:

Yep 100% correctomundo :D

Social source share

Hi Nev,

As I understand it, an Acetate exists but it was not officially issued (except on a Kent CD - Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities).

Audrey is the Daughter of the late Johnnie Mae and also lead (female) singer of Black Nasty.

The Audrey label was named after her (I believe).

Not as good as the version by her Mom (IMO)

Sean

Social source share

Doesn't hold a candle to the Johnnie Mae version really, sounds like a demo.

I saw some footage once of Johnnie Mae and her daughter sitting around a table both singing this for the benefit of someone from England who was filming it, has anyone else seen this or did I imagine it? I'm pretty sure I've actually got it even.

Social source share

Doesn't hold a candle to the Johnnie Mae version really, sounds like a demo.

I saw some footage once of Johnnie Mae and her daughter sitting around a table both singing this for the benefit of someone from England who was filming it, has anyone else seen this or did I imagine it? I'm pretty sure I've actually got it even.

Dont know about that---i got this put on a vinyl and it sounds GREAT

Social source share

Pete,

It was Tats Taylor & Gilly who filmed it in Johnnie Mae's Kitchen... sat at the table, with Audrey...belting out "I Have No Choice" exactly as you remember.

The same trip yielded footage of Tony Johnson (of Tony & Tyrone) who lived in a car singing a sweet soul track over a backing track on the car cassette and Tim Murray singing "Thinking Of You" with Melvin Davis outside the Dog Track where Tim Murray works.

Wicked footage, that you didn't dream... it just felt like it!

Sean

Social source share

Pete,

It was Tats Taylor & Gilly who filmed it in Johnnie Mae's Kitchen... sat at the table, with Audrey...belting out "I Have No Choice" exactly as you remember.

The same trip yielded footage of Tony Johnson (of Tony & Tyrone) who lived in a car singing a sweet soul track over a backing track on the car cassette and Tim Murray singing "Thinking Of You" with Melvin Davis outside the Dog Track where Tim Murray works.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I have a feeling I threw that tape away because some of it was very poor quality. I definitely remember them waiting in a hotel room for Melvin Davis though.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Deffo not Audrey matthews. She recorded an awful 70's version with Black Nasty, but is too young to have recorded IHNC, In the mid '60's she was 10yrs old! Most probably as Adey says, Sharon McMahon who probably cut it as a demo or master tape to promote the song. IMHO I think it is better than Johnnie Mae's version, it suits Sharons more fragile girly voice, and the wailing end..tears to the eyes stuff! Beautiful! :shades:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

I have no choice - Sharon McMahon (probably) - Unissued

Don't know how Pete thinks it sounds like a demo ie unfinished, listen to this, as polished, rich and full a rendition as you could wish for! Love this version, Sharon actually SINGS it, unlike Johnnie Mae, who virtualy talks it, and does so in a very fase, 'stagey' way. Plus I can't stand her gritty voice :wicked:

Does sound great on vinyl! I had one cut, and it really brings out the warmth and richness that digital doesn't sad.gif this upload came from the vinyl copy I have, and I think it improves the sound IMHO

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Yes Trevski,some right----the awful version cut in the mid 70,s by Black Nasty( all of Johnny Mae,s children ) was in deed shit --that did feature Audrey (the daughter on lead vocal) and yes the label Audrey in the 60,s was maned after her as was the sister(brother!!) label Art(her son) and Audrey would have been too wee to have been involved in the mid 60,s version (which i feel is a demo for Johnny Mae) although not as good (I.M.H.O.) Hope the birthday celebs went well T.H.

Love and stuff to all

Tony.C.

Social source share

/p>

Don't know how Pete thinks it sounds like a demo ie unfinished, listen to this, as polished, rich and full a rendition as you could wish for! Love this version, Sharon actually SINGS it, unlike Johnnie Mae, who virtualy talks it, and does so in a very fase, 'stagey' way. Plus I can't stand her gritty voice :thumbsup:

Does sound great on vinyl! I had one cut, and it really brings out the warmth and richness that digital doesn't :thumbsup: this upload came from the vinyl copy I have, and I think it improves the sound IMHO

You are truly mental :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't know how Pete thinks it sounds like a demo ie unfinished, listen to this, as polished, rich and full a rendition as you could wish for! Love this version, Sharon actually SINGS it, unlike Johnnie Mae, who virtualy talks it, and does so in a very fase, 'stagey' way. Plus I can't stand her gritty voice :thumbsup:

Does sound great on vinyl! I had one cut, and it really brings out the warmth and richness that digital doesn't :thumbsup: this upload came from the vinyl copy I have, and I think it improves the sound IMHO

This is obviously a guide vocal for someone who can sing to follow.

Sharon sings as flat as a fart on the first line.

And the tune is in the wrong Key for her, which is why she struggles holding some of the notes.

Social source share

Nice version! I like the ending with the male backing vocals, BUT I don't think it really touches Johnny Mae's. It hasn't got the awesome power and majesty of Johnny Mae's voice that sends shivers down my spine. This version is vocally weak I think. As for the Black nasty version you all need to get your 70's blinkers off as it is also superb. Totally different arrangement and production obviously but an absolute cracking version you deaf buggers. :thumbsup:

Jordi

Social source share

Does sound great on vinyl! I had one cut, and it really brings out the warmth and richness that digital doesn't whistling.gif this upload came from the vinyl copy I have, and I think it improves the sound IMHO

the source for the vinyl copy ( a cut I presume) is I presume the digital recording so how does it sound better?

Social source share

the source for the vinyl copy ( a cut I presume) is I presume the digital recording so how does it sound better?

Having just listened to this again, it's even worse than I remembered. It's out of tune, the vocal is poor and just listen to those male backing singers before the second chorus. Honestly, it's an insult to Johnnie Mae Matthews to say that this version is in the same league.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

It might have been a digital source, Chalks, but when converted to analog (vinyl) it certainly gives it a richer, warmer sound, which is why we like vinyl and not cd's :P

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Having just listened to this again, it's even worse than I remembered. It's out of tune, the vocal is poor and just listen to those male backing singers before the second chorus. Honestly, it's an insult to Johnnie Mae Matthews to say that this version is in the same league.

I don't mind insulting the gritty voiced old biddy :lol: Its not in the same league, it's above! just MHO of course, but I really don't like ANYTHING JMM has done, her voice makes me cringe. Give me a sweet voiced lady, like Little Ann, Clara Hardy, or Ella Woods any day :P

Social source share

It might have been a digital source, Chalks, but when converted to analog (vinyl) it certainly gives it a richer, warmer sound, which is why we like vinyl and not cd's :P

:lol: Vinyl Carver machines copy like for like, there will be no difference. The guys at Ace/Kent have probably got it to sound as good as it's gonna get and the likes of vinyl carvers aren't even in the same league as those technology wise.

Besides vinyl carvers use mp3's which are compressed therefore losing some of the original recording :P

Social source share

That's not strictly true mate, they can use mp3's if the customer wishes but they can cut from any source - vinyl, cd, tape, whatever

your right Pete but when I've used them I've uploaded mp3's, easy and time saving.

The sound quality that comes form a cut from the likes of vinyl carvers is a lot quieter than proper vinyl, well I mean the type of vinyl we all love :thumbsup: Usual have to compensate with the deck when playing a cut by turning it up a touch more, they never sound as good to my ears.

Social source share

your right Pete but when I've used them I've uploaded mp3's, easy and time saving.

The sound quality that comes form a cut from the likes of vinyl carvers is a lot quieter than proper vinyl, well I mean the type of vinyl we all love :thumbsup: Usual have to compensate with the deck when playing a cut by turning it up a touch more, they never sound as good to my ears.

Again I hate to disagree with you and I'm not doing it just for the sake of it, but I must have had 100 things cut by them, especially when nobody else was doing it, and some of the cuts have actually been better quality than the originals, really beefed up. I've only got 3 or 4 left but none are in the slightest bit quiter than the original records, all of which I once owned.

Social source share

Again I hate to disagree with you and I'm not doing it just for the sake of it, but I must have had 100 things cut by them, especially when nobody else was doing it, and some of the cuts have actually been better quality than the originals, really beefed up. I've only got 3 or 4 left but none are in the slightest bit quiter than the original records, all of which I once owned.

the ones I've played there hasn't been an origianl for some of 'em :P but the deck I played the cut on was quieter than an original vinyl record on the other deck, not sayingh the quality is poorer, just quieter, dunno why. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, just notch the volume up a touch more when playing an vinyl carver cut. The service they provide is first class and I doubt the scene could do without the likes of them these days :P

Social source share

Guest claude rains

quote name='Sean Hampsey' date='Oct 2 2006, 08:49 PM' post='356696'] Pete,

I remember goin up to pick up gilly with a friend simon small, think gilly was djing at bretby alldayer.

Anway he showed me the video with melvin davis singing in their hired car, WOW!!!

Gilly is one of the people up their with dean anderson, butch and a few others who have exeptional taste in collecting and djing, he's a bit of a hero of mine.

Though he's got to be up there for finding and uncovering Little Ann, an amazing story one of my all time fave records.

Edited by claude rains
Social source share

WOW GUYS

WAS'NT EXPECTING SO MUCH FUSS OR SHOULD I SAY DEBATE.I ONLY ASKED IF IT WAS EVER ISSUED ???

I ACTUALLY PREFER THIS VERSION FOR ITS RAW SOUL SOUND.I THINK JOHNNIE MAE'S SOUND'S LIKE ARTHUR MULLARD IN COMPARISON :D

DON'T GET ME WRONG I HAVE AND LIKE "LONELY YOU'LL BE/ITTY BITTY HEART &HERE COMES MY BABY" ALL BY JOHNNIE MAE. THEY ARE ALL A BIT MORE UPTEMPO,WHICH I THINK SUITS HER VOICE.

I ALSO THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE TEND TO LEAN TOWARD THE JOHNNIE MAE FOR ITS VALUE IN THE RARE SOUL WORLD .IS IT SACRILAGE TO PREFER THE LESSER KNOWN .??

ALSO I THINK THE POINT ESPO WAS MAKING ABOUT IT SOUNDING GREAT ON VINYL, WAS NOT THAT IT ACTUALLY SOUNDED GREAT ON VINYL, BUT THAT SINCE HE'D PUT IT ON VINYL AND WAS ABLE TO PLAY IT OUT LOUD ( IN A VENUE)HE APPRECIATED IT EVEN MORE :)

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED ESP THOSE WITH THE FACTS RATHER THAN THE DEABATE :)

NEV

Social source share

I ALSO THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE TEND TO LEAN TOWARD THE JOHNNIE MAE FOR ITS VALUE IN THE RARE SOUL WORLD .IS IT SACRILAGE TO PREFER THE LESSER KNOWN .??

Don't underestimate people's taste so much, the majority of people on here know the difference between brilliant and mediocre, the Johnnie Mae version is unsurpassable and if she'd only ever made that one record she would be legendary. The other version is just a poor demo.

Social source share

Don't underestimate people's taste so much, the majority of people on here know the difference between brilliant and mediocre, the Johnnie Mae version is unsurpassable and if she'd only ever made that one record she would be legendary. The other version is just a poor demo.

AND AS USUAL THE LAST WORD GOES TO PETE :lol:

OK PETE I KNOW YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF AND I FOR ONE AIN'T GONNA ARGUE .AFTER ALL I BUY SOME OF MY BEST RECORDS OFF YOU :lol:

ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH GLENN WALTON? OR SHOULD I SAY THE ONE AND ONLY GLENN WALTON?

Social source share

AND AS USUAL THE LAST WORD GOES TO PETE :lol:

OK PETE I KNOW YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF AND I FOR ONE AIN'T GONNA ARGUE .AFTER ALL I BUY SOME OF MY BEST RECORDS OFF YOU :lol:

ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH GLENN WALTON? OR SHOULD I SAY THE ONE AND ONLY GLENN WALTON?

Yeah I was talking to him tonight actually Nev, he's coming down here work-wise next week so he always comes round for a beer and a record session. Feel free to come with him anytime!

Social source share

Yeah I was talking to him tonight actually Nev, he's coming down here work-wise next week so he always comes round for a beer and a record session. Feel free to come with him anytime!

a modest man amongst men who' probably forgot more than i'll ever know.heard him play a few times (awesome records,some of which went over many peoples heads).friend of mine invited me to go to the 117 club where Glenn hosts a "bring your records session".i went armed with my latest gem (FIATS-SPEAK WORDS OF LOVE on UNIVERSAL DJ) tryin to impress ,soon as i walked in the door he was already playing same record! :yes:

better luck next time eh :lol:

Social source share

a modest man amongst men who' probably forgot more than i'll ever know.heard him play a few times (awesome records,some of which went over many peoples heads).friend of mine invited me to go to the 117 club where Glenn hosts a "bring your records session".i went armed with my latest gem (FIATS-SPEAK WORDS OF LOVE on UNIVERSAL DJ) tryin to impress ,soon as i walked in the door he was already playing same record! :yes:

better luck next time eh :lol:

He always leaves here with a bag of records, mainly that I've stuck on the unknowns pile...6 months later he comes back trying to get another copy cos he's sold the first one (that I sold him for £3) for £100. Crafty bugger.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert