Frank Popp

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not over-keen on Frank Popp , I have to admit, but I do love anything by Swing Out Sister! Also quite partial to the way St Etienne sampled 60s pop/soul for some of their tracks.

Pete - you still in touch with Bob Stanley?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Not over-keen on it, I have to admit, but I do love the way St Etienne sampled 60s pop/soul for some of their tracks.

Pete - you still in touch with Bob Stanley?

Sadly not, left some of my very rarest videos at his house including one that a producer had nicked from the TOTP archives, never heard from him again!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

2 of these finished on e-bay today and went for £88 and the other one for £77 both in near mint condition, so are in a bit of demand but maybe not for the purist, the more i hear it the more i like it but i think its more a £30 - £40 tune,

Bearsy.

Social source share

I also quite like the record , I think when you compare it with other sh*te played in the name of Northern soul over the years It stands up quite well. Certainly wouldn't call it a soul record though. Wouldn't expect to hear it at a rare soul allnighter, however would fit in well at your bulk standard local soul night.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Thought there would be some comments on this tune,I think its a great bit of R&B,dont ya think so :lol:

Bazza

you think this is r'n'b ?????? this tune and r'n'b bear no relation whatsoever , if they passed in the street they wouldn't even recognise each other

Social source share

I also quite like the record , I think when you compare it with other sh*te played in the name of Northern soul over the years It stands up quite well. Certainly wouldn't call it a soul record though. Wouldn't expect to hear it at a rare soul allnighter, however would fit in well at your bulk standard local soul night.

Alright it's a danceable record, but shurely John it's just sampling, like rap / hip hop stuff.

Where is the musical talent in that ?

Then again perhaps that's the way forward for finding new 60's style records ? i must admit there is any number of mediocre old 60's records that with a 'few vibes added here & a little added brass there' could be turned into an above average sound.

Think i might invest in some mixing equipment :lol:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Like this track better..opologies for posting on here.not got to grips with the other thing yet

Bazza

Just hit the 'new clip' button and follow the instructions - you browse and select the clip the same way as adding an attachment :lol:

Social source share

Just hit the 'new clip' button and follow the instructions - you browse and select the clip the same way as adding an attachment :lol:

Rachal, i just tried to add a track on here again, hit the reply button as you said, but same happened to me again, like the other night, i get a blank screen after submitting & then have to close browser to get back on site. Could it be because i am still a low life Mint - ? :yes:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Rachal, i just tried to add a track on here again, hit the reply button as you said, but same happened to me again, like the other night, i get a blank screen after submitting & then have to close browser to get back on site. Could it be because i am still a low life Mint - ? :yes:

Nah, nothing to do with your account status as far as I know... I tried to load that Frank Popp up as a clip but it got stuck on loading page, something to do with my antiquated dial-up connection I think as it worked OK on superfast connection at work earlier :lol:

Social source share

Rachal, i just tried to add a track on here again, hit the reply button as you said, but same happened to me again, like the other night, i get a blank screen after submitting & then have to close browser to get back on site. Could it be because i am still a low life Mint - ? :lol:

Go & have a play down here Gabriel.

When you've mastered it be sure to post the results from your mixing experiments up. I'd love to hear the results.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34618

Off out now so i expect to see some results when i get back ya hear (unless you're going out yourself Bouge)

Mart...

Social source share

Go & have a play down here Gabriel.

When you've mastered it be sure to post the results from your mixing experiments up. I'd love to hear the results.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34618

Off out now so i expect to see some results when i get back ya hear (unless you're going out yourself Bouge)

Mart...

Ain't got the equipment Mart, but i reckon there could be something in it, some bucks to be made for someone :lol::yes:

Social source share

you think this is r'n'b ?????? this tune and r'n'b bear no relation whatsoever , if they passed in the street they wouldn't even recognise each other

Give over Davie ...popcorn then..great dance tune wor ever it is

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Hey

Went to the "Rat Pit" in Bredbury Stockport last night, had a great night as i hadn't been for quite some time, Me and Stevie B from Denton British Legion (monthly soul night, next one the last friday in October) one of the last records played, I think by Jona was ??? was Hip teens don't wear blue jeans!!! Well it went down a storm and got a clap at the end. Therefore it must now be an accepted Northern classic!!!! I must admit in the right surroundings it came across pretty good. In fact i may get Steve to play it at Denton

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

This record does nothing for me really. I find it a bit tacky to be honest. "Leave me alone" is a bit better. Dont really see how "hip teens" (the titles cringe worthy) is getting silly money for it.

I think the best record made latley that should get played is The Quantic Soul Orchestra - End Of The Road. Thats a record that should have some fuss made over it. If anyones got a clip post it up please!

Social source share

BIGGEST LOAD OF SHITE I HAVE EVER HEARD...NOTHING TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL...ANYONE CAN WALK INTO A RECORDING STUDIO AND MAKE A RECORD LIKE THIS...IF YOU DANCE TO THIS AT A SOUL DO YOU SHOULD BE SHOT WITH SHIT whistling.gif

I may be wrong, but does this mean you don't like it then ? whistling.gif:D

Social source share

Frank pop has been doing this stuff for years! Just because John Manship had the good sense to put "Hip Teens" on auction ( as there were only 500 45s pressed ) it has been the subject of conversation. It is not a classic soul record , it is a pop record with Edward Hamiltons classic Detroit stomping "Im gonna love you" drum roll at the start!

It is not a record that belongs to or was born to the Soul scene or should have any part of the Soul Scene - it is played at Scooter rallys and student/mod events and is a firm fave ( i feel) at these type of things (hence demand for 45 !)

John Manship had the Eyes EP on his auction the other week and i was asked by a couple of Soul mates what the hell that was?

Love em or hate em Frank Pop mix Funk - Soul - Pop together and come up with their own thing (almost!)

I saw them at the Isle of Wight Scooter Rally this year and was quite amazed !!!

They even did a good version of "Just say goodbye"

I myself can not knock Frank Pop, but i am wondering why a disscussion is taking place on a Soul site about a group of musicians that are clearley Pop and definatley not Rare Soul?

Social source share

It is not a record that belongs to or was born to the Soul scene or should have any part of the Soul Scene - it is played at Scooter rallys and student/mod events and is a firm fave ( i feel) at these type of things (hence demand for 45 !)

I myself can not knock Frank Pop, but i am wondering why a disscussion is taking place on a Soul site about a group of musicians that are clearley Pop and definatley not Rare Soul?

Well said. I've never understood why a record, made by a fat, white, German guy, last year, suddenly started getting plays on the Rare Soul scene ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Well said. I've never understood why a record, made by a fat, white, German guy, last year, suddenly started getting plays on the Rare Soul scene ohmy.gif

Dave, please, you'll have to go back on a diversity training course if you carry on like that! :shades:

Social source share

The dancers in the backbeat room loved it biggrin.gif

I've never quite got my head around the 'snobbery' that raises its ugly head on the scene. Know this isn't a new trend, it has always been there. I dont argue I know the ins and outs of the music, but at the end of the day if it isn't made out to be something its not, ie rare, original, old etc......... if its 'danceable' and fills the floor, whats the problem? There are hundreds of tracks that are played, I don't know who they are, history etc, but if it sounds good I'll get up and dance, if I dont like it I go and get a drink...............personally I have always loved the music, the atmosphere and the friendliness of the 'scene'............ discussions along this vein take that away, hence the many discussions along the lines of 'the future of the soul scene'.

And the first to throw tomatoes is.....................

PS love your avitar, any objections to my using it as 'inspiration' for one of my bedding designs..................

Social source share

The dancers in the backbeat room loved it :yes:

Yes, if the punters are asking for it then that is where the book stops. It might end up a classic - it might not. It is down to the people this one isnt it? I suppose if you look back in Soul history there have always been odd records like this that have caused a stir! The Carstairs - it really hurts me girl, Gil Scott Heron - The Bottle. The difference now with this tune is its relatively new production, sampling an original 6ts intro and trying to sound authentic.

I can not imagine a vintage soul DJ including this in his set natrually, but i imagine if the demand is requested then certain DJs will include it!

Like i said, I like Frank Popp ..... I play it in my set at the local Scooter club events that I play, where it goes down a storm, and i would not be offended if i did hear it at an allnighter..........who knows............its down to the punters to decide!!!!

Its not snobbery, it is informed debate!! You can not be as passionate about music as most Soul fans are without this sort of debate! We all still love each other when we go out dont we! :lol: Its only music!!

Social source share

I told Frank about this thread a couple of weeks ago,lets see if he can come and talk about it himself,always good to have new members on board..Frank is a big big rare soul collector and a very fine dj, not just a fat white German :lol: as was posted above someplace...

I remember Kolla starting a thread a long while back about Breakaway by Frank Popp,many loved it and some said otherwise..It must have been the same with some of the pop stuff at Wigan...It could be just like a lot of pop tunes,big for now and then it fades away..I heard someone say its never gonna be a great tune for him but he's heard worse tunes that some really call soul...I don't think Frank ever called it a soul track..I think its a fine pop record....

Social source share

I told Frank about this thread a couple of weeks ago,lets see if he can come and talk about it himself,always good to have new members on board..Frank is a big big rare soul collector and a very fine dj, not just a fat white German :P as was posted above someplace...

I remember Kolla starting a thread a long while back about Breakaway by Frank Popp,many loved it and some said otherwise..It must have been the same with some of the pop stuff at Wigan...It could be just like a lot of pop tunes,big for now and then it fades away..I heard someone say its never gonna be a great tune for him but he's heard worse tunes that some really call soul...I don't think Frank ever called it a soul track..I think its a fine pop record....

Spoke to your mate the Bullet on a look back where Frank was DJing, said he would forward the site onto him and get him to sign up, his playlist from another do look really good a nice diverse mix of all things soul. :lol:

Social source share

I told Frank about this thread a couple of weeks ago,lets see if he can come and talk about it himself,always good to have new members on board..Frank is a big big rare soul collector and a very fine dj, not just a fat white German :P as was posted above someplace...

well said son :lol:

Social source share

well said son :lol:

The lead singer isn't a big fat German either....Shes not a big fat anything!!! And boy she can sing....whatever you decide about frank popps Northern Soul credibility !!! :yes:

"The World Is Waiting!" thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The Carstairs - it really hurts me girl, Gil Scott Heron - The Bottle. The difference now with this tune is its relatively new production, sampling an original 6ts intro and trying to sound authentic.

The difference is that these were black artists making soul (or soul-jazz) music and as you point out, were contemporary releases.

Edited by noss
Social source share

What do you guys think of this record? I don't understand why its getting the $$$ I don't rate it at all, am i missing something? Though i do wish i'd picked up a few copies and made some pennies.

I Could say the same thing about 100s of authentic releases - It must be personal taste!

The Frank debate continues........

I think we have some sort of classic in the making, just down to the controversey this strange 45 has stirred up! :yes:

But what is it? You can not define this release, and you can not define Frank Pop - they are a group of musicians that you can not pin down to one type of thing! Listen to the" touch and go" long player! You either love em or hate em!

I reckon they groovy!!! If they have caused this much debate on a Soul fans site they must be doing somthing different!

Pop....Soul...Funk.....What on earth are these fvckers up to? Its great!! thumbsup.gif

Like the cover of his LP stated.....Northern Soul 32 mg....Early RNB 21mg..........Garage Rock 33mg.......Sampladelics 22mg...........Freakbeat 11mg....Organ Sounds 28mg

Work that out ! Now would you play it at a Northern Soul event?? I the demand to hear it is there then a DJ must own it to keep the dancers happy - SIMPLE :lol:

"The punters will decide"

Social source share

I Could say the same thing about 100s of authentic releases - It must be personal taste!

The Frank debate continues........

I think we have some sort of classic in the making, just down to the controversey this strange 45 has stirred up! :yes:

But what is it? You can not define this release, and you can not define Frank Pop - they are a group of musicians that you can not pin down to one type of thing! Listen to the" touch and go" long player! You either love em or hate em!

I reckon they groovy!!! If they have caused this much debate on a Soul fans site they must be doing somthing different!

Pop....Soul...Funk.....What on earth are these fvckers up to? Its great!! thumbsup.gif

Like the cover of his LP stated.....Northern Soul 32 mg....Early RNB 21mg..........Garage Rock 33mg.......Sampladelics 22mg...........Freakbeat 11mg....Organ Sounds 28mg

Work that out ! Now would you play it at a Northern Soul event?? I the demand to hear it is there then a DJ must own it to keep the dancers happy - SIMPLE :lol:

"The punters will decide"

Obviosly some Djs will never play it on principle.....and i dont think that is a problem either!

"Its just the strange world of Northern Soul" :lol:

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Well said. I've never understood why a record, made by a fat, white, German guy, last year, suddenly started getting plays on the Rare Soul scene :thumbsup:

Yeah but what if it were a Fat Black American.....understand it more then? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert