THE MOST REISSUED 45?

Dobber

MY QUESTION IS THIS:

WHAT NORTHERN SOUL 45 HAS BEEN REISSUED/REPRODUCED THE MOST?

RANGEING FROM ITS ORIGINAL RELEASE,THROUGH TO ITS REISSUES/BOOTS/FOREIGN AND UK RELEASES?

A GOOD EXAMPLE IS:

JIMMY ROBINS-I CANT PLEASE YOU

LABELS: IMPRESSION,MICA,JERHART,PRESIDENT...AND POSSIBLY FOREIGN AND OTHER BOOTS?

Social source share

Looking at legit releases, I think you'd have to look at the major soul labels, and Motown in particular. Its output was released in many countries worldwide meaning that any given 45 could have been issued in every one. Then you'd have to look at the releases of any of those 45s across all of those markets. 

Basically, a Motown 45 could have lots and lots of releases.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

"Harlem Shuffle" by Bob & Earl must figure, as must Fontella Bass's "Rescue Me" .... "Rescue Me" got at least 4 seperate (different) releases with at least 3 of these (Chess 8023, Chess 8090 & Chess 6145009) all being re-promoted & restocked by record shops on a number of occasions. "Harlem Shuffle" was released in at least 7 different incarnations here (Sue, Jay Boy, Island, Contempo, Contempo-Raries, Old Gold, Sue EP).

In the above, I'm only counting UK releases. If you add in US, Canadian, European, Lebanese, Caribbean, Indian, Australian, New Zealand, Sth American, Sth African, etc ... then each of these cuts must have 30+ releases on different labels & at different times (60's / 70's / 80's / 90's).

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Bob & Earl release on Jay Boy 25 is the uptempo northern mix 

I don't think this mix was on any other released label !

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

But it's still B&E's "Harlem Shuffle" and many an 'ordinary punter' wouldn't notice the difference (though I can, the Jay Boy mix is awful) !!

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

12 minutes ago, stateside said:

Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher , must be up there, pardon the pun.

Kev

6 UK versions I think (Coral, MCA SoulBag, MCA, Brunswick, SMP x 2), so I'd guess not as many reissues (here or worldwide) as Bob & Earl.

Jackie's "Reet Petite" escaped here at least 4 times (with 2 versions being back in the 50's !  -- Vogue-Coral & then Coral).

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest trickbag
Date Format Comments Rating
jamo-thomas-and-his-party-brothers-orche Jamo Thomas And His Party Brothers Orchestra

A: I Spy (For The FBI)
B: Snake Hip Mama
pixel.gif Polydor UK BM 56709 Jun 1966 7" 3 10.0
jamo-thomas-and-his-party-brothers-orche Jamo Thomas And His Party Brothers Orchestra

pixel.gif Polydor UK 56755 14 Feb 1969 7" 5 9.0

pixel.gif Mojo UK 2092 013 8 Oct 1971 7" 5  
jamo-thomas-and-his-party-brothers-orche

Jamo Thomas And His Party Brothers Orchestra

jamo-thomas-and-his-party-brothers-orche

Jamo Thomas And His Party Brothers Orchestra

ricky.

pixel.gif Thomas USA
pixel.gif Polydor UK 2001 544 24 Jan 1975  
Social source share

Would have thought it would be a motown single ie My Girl Temptations

must have got a release in most countries producing 45s then reissued on yesteryear etc. then for the adverts and films it was in then on reverse of Stay 45

Edited by smudger
Social source share

im actually focusing on "northern soul 45s" so lets stear clear of classic motown...ie temps-my girl...etc..
and i was thinking more of those records where no matter what corner you go round, a particular record in one permitation or another is always there!

Social source share

15 hours ago, gogs said:

what about Frank Wilson, us Soul orig 3 uk releases and at least 1 bootleg?

I suggested that in post #2

It also got reissued c/w Chris Clark as part of Motown’s 45th Anniversary in 2004, the again a couple of years ago in the Motown 7” box set c/w the Originals – Suspicion and lastly last-years Record Store Day release again c/w Chris Clark

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!