Just Had A Close Shave On Ebay

Pete S

Phew...this could have been a nightmare. There was a copy of Solomon King on there and it's usually quite easy to sell so I thought if I can get it for say £65 I'll make £20 on it. Anyway, I did my usual bidnapper snipe (always end it in 7, in this case, £67), and waited. The result came in, I won it for....£86! So I'm thinking, hold on, I only bid £67, I didn't want to pay anything like £86. So I looked on bidnapper and I'd actually entered a snipe figure of £677! So if there had been a bidding war I could have ended up paying miles more than I originally wanted to. Anyway, anyone want to buy a copy of Solomon King - £100 to you squire :thumbsup:

p.s. on the fortunate side I did get a Broadway Cissy for £51

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Phew...this could have been a nightmare. There was a copy of Solomon King on there and it's usually quite easy to sell so I thought if I can get it for say £65 I'll make £20 on it. Anyway, I did my usual bidnapper snipe (always end it in 7, in this case, £67), and waited. The result came in, I won it for....£86! So I'm thinking, hold on, I only bid £67, I didn't want to pay anything like £86. So I looked on bidnapper and I'd actually entered a snipe figure of £677! So if there had been a bidding war I could have ended up paying miles more than I originally wanted to. Anyway, anyone want to buy a copy of Solomon King - £100 to you squire :thumbsup:

£51 for Broadway Cissy :thumbsup: Sold 2 copies on here last year for less than that for the pair. So the person who set their bidnapper at £85 has a right to feel a bit peeved then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Phew...this could have been a nightmare. There was a copy of Solomon King on there and it's usually quite easy to sell so I thought if I can get it for say £65 I'll make £20 on it. Anyway, I did my usual bidnapper snipe (always end it in 7, in this case, £67), and waited. The result came in, I won it for....£86! So I'm thinking, hold on, I only bid £67, I didn't want to pay anything like £86. So I looked on bidnapper and I'd actually entered a snipe figure of £677! So if there had been a bidding war I could have ended up paying miles more than I originally wanted to. Anyway, anyone want to buy a copy of Solomon King - £100 to you squire :lol:

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I was really ill with some kind of flu. Anyway there was a record on ebay that I really wanted, so I dragged myself out of my sick bed to have a look at how it was going. Later that night I decided to put a bid on it . So worked out my maximum bid [think about £500] and then changed it to dollars, about $850 and stuck it on the sniper. Imagine my delight next day when I switch on and see my email CONGRATULATIONS YOU WIN etc.

Bargain thinks I. :no::no: Seller was from Leicester and the currency POUNDS :ohmy:

Record cost me £850 ph34r.gif

Social source share

£51 for Broadway Cissy :ohmy: Sold 2 copies on here last year for less than that for the pair. So the person who set their bidnapper at £85 has a right to feel a bit peeved then ph34r.gif
Cracked were they?

I rate that at around £80 to £100 easy now.

I got a result there then, Still got the 2, got one for me and 1 for a mate, mate never paid up, been thinking of floging one, anybody intrested ?

Social source share

I did a similar thing a few months ago with Five Dutones record on Onderful. Put on a max. bid of $32,99 (comma in middle, by mistake) in last few seconds - spotted my mistake just as screen disappeared but it was too late to retract. Bid was entered by eBay as £3299

Someone else sniped in last 2 seconds but luckily below $32.

I've kept the print out as a reminder to be careful about punctuation.

I was surprised Ebay accepted a bid with wrong punctuation, rather than reject it.

Alan

Social source share

Phew...this could have been a nightmare. There was a copy of Solomon King on there and it's usually quite easy to sell so I thought if I can get it for say £65 I'll make £20 on it. Anyway, I did my usual bidnapper snipe (always end it in 7, in this case, £67), and waited. The result came in, I won it for....£86! So I'm thinking, hold on, I only bid £67, I didn't want to pay anything like £86. So I looked on bidnapper and I'd actually entered a snipe figure of £677! So if there had been a bidding war I could have ended up paying miles more than I originally wanted to. Anyway, anyone want to buy a copy of Solomon King - £100 to you squire :shades:

I had a similar thing a while ago - and I actually typed it in as 25.55 and it registered as 25,550.00 - Luckily I noticed at the submit page and worked out what was wrong --- Euros !!! --- In the UK, we always use a dot . for a decimal, and a comma , for a 1000 seperator. It is the otherway round in Europe.

Could have easily missed it though

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

I was surprised Ebay accepted a bid with wrong punctuation, rather than reject it.

Alan

I think the limit for bids without further approval is $10000. If you want to bid more there is supposedly a routine for notifying ebay beforehand.

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert