Bobby Hutton - Lend a hand UK single

Chris L

We all know this is on the album "Piece of the action" but it did come out on a UK ABC single in the 1970's. Was this a legitimate release that came from ABC records ? I know there's a recent look-a-like that I have to assume is a "boot". How can you tell the 1970s from the new issue ?  

Social source share

The one from the 70's was about 1978 ish. It has Willie Hutch on the other side (Love Runs Out). They were all white one's that looked like Demo's but were not. Never saw a black one.

1 minute ago, dobber said:

the 70's copy has reflections adam and eve on the back,or august & deneen we go together,cant remember which!

That was another one of the same! Reflections and August & Deneen back to back.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

The one from the 70's was about 1978 ish. It has Willie Hutch on the other side (Love Runs Out). They were all white one's that looked like Demo's but were not. Never saw a black one.

That was another one of the same! Reflections and August & Deneen back to back.

thats the one! i remember now!

Social source share

It's a shame ABC did not issue it as a single in the USA, from the LP.

I think the LP was 1973, can anyone confirm?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Chris L said:

This one looks even different ?

Bobby Hutton Maybe.JPG

That doesn't seem to have the anti-slip ridges around the label. So, I'd assume it's a more recent copy/boot. I bit like those James Fountain UK Cream label copies which apparently came out in the 90's.

Social source share

Guest Richard Mogador Ogden
23 hours ago, dobber said:

the 70's copy has reflections adam and eve on the back,or august & deneen we go together,cant remember which!

Think the other side was  Willie Hutch  not 100%  sure such long time ago !

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Richard Mogador Ogden said:

Think the other side was  Willie Hutch  not 100%  sure such long time ago !

Yes Willy Hutch, there was another release at the same time with Eddie Regan - Playing hide & seek, couldn't tell you what other side twas............

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Yes Willy Hutch, there was another release at the same time with Eddie Regan - Playing hide & seek, couldn't tell you what other side twas............

It was The Sapphires version of - (It's gonna be a) BIG THING.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Richard Mogador Ogden

Was issued late 70s lend a hand /love runs out, to meet demand on the northern scene couple of cracking tunes  !!!!

Social source share

I've just compared the album track to the 70s 45  I think the single mix is mono or dubbed from the album it doesn't seem to have the 'depth' of the lp track?

Two other great recordings for ABC were Watch Where You're Going & Loving You, Wanting You, Needing You released back to back under the production of Lamont Dozier pity these weren't on the album.

IMHO ABC were responsible for a lot of quality soulful albums during that period of the 70s Angelo Bond , Nolan Porter (licensed Lizard album),Natural Four, Wilson Williams,The Nights,Chuck Jackson,Lamont Dozier & Al Hudson.

Feel free to add to the list.

Social source share

Had the piece of action Lp many times not got one now but after one any body got one for sale seen few copies for sale on usa sites but they all look knackered,got most of other abc lps mentioned above just need this again now 

Phil

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
6 hours ago, Benji said:

If you want the real deal buy the album. As a bonus you get a pretty good down tempo version of Gwen McCrae's Lead Me On as a bonus.

Yep….Trouble is though,for sheer convenience you can't beat the 45. Many people who play this music out and about simply don't want to lug one track albums around with them.I don't mind personally but I guess I'm in a minority. Personally, I can see no shame playing the 70s issue 45 out. It was legally done, the recording is spot on and they don't look bad either,so, all in all, it looks a winner to me. I think they've been bootlegged because actually, its become reasonably tough to locate on 45 over recent years. Ok, not in comparison to bonafide rare tunes,but in the big picture of things,demand outstrips supply easily. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

If you want the real deal buy the album. As a bonus you get a pretty good down tempo version of Gwen McCrae's Lead Me On as a bonus.

and not forgetting his take on Jimmy Lewis' - 'There Ain't A Man' and a favourite of mine 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love'......

It's far from a one track wonder when it comes to listening pleasure.  As for convenience for the hundreds of DJs in the country, I can't comment .

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ivor Jones said:

Yep….Trouble is though,for sheer convenience you can't beat the 45. Many people who play this music out and about simply don't want to lug one track albums around with them.I don't mind personally but I guess I'm in a minority. Personally, I can see no shame playing the 70s issue 45 out. It was legally done, the recording is spot on and they don't look bad either,so, all in all, it looks a winner to me. I think they've been bootlegged because actually, its become reasonably tough to locate on 45 over recent years. Ok, not in comparison to bonafide rare tunes,but in the big picture of things,demand outstrips supply easily. 

I have both album and the 70s released UK single, the album used to be a £150+ item but now it's easily under £100.00, the "original" 70s single goes for about £10-15.00. You can buy the recent look-a-like boots for about £5 - 8.00. I have to say it easier to handle and play the single.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!