Who's The Most Knowledgable Rock 'n Roll Dealer?

Godzilla

I have a 45 that I can't find any info on. The only online referrence I have seen is a post on a rock 'n roll forum from 2001. The poster says he's heard a rumour of the discovery of the rarest UK rock 'n roll 45 and he was asking for verification. He got no replies. I've emailed him through the site but he hasn't got back to me as yet.

I need to contact someone who knows about rock 'n roll to find out if I have the holy grail or a whole crock. Obviously I'm not counting chickens and all that but it would be nice to find out.

Any ideas team?

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mike Kersey.

Telephone 0114 2649185.

Dealt with him since 1978 and his R&R / 50's & 60's Vinyl knowledge is unsurpassed.

Hope it turns out you're on a winner!

:D

Sean

just phoned Mike and he hasn't heard of it so maybe that's not such a good sign. But who knows? he suggested I try Deke - which I will do.

I've also tried to email Record Collector but you have to fill in a form and I keep getting a failure notice. Looks like a Mac vs PC thing.

Exciting though!

Godz

Yeah probably...he was Silky's Dad

The one that recorded on Bell then....? laugh.gif

Godz

Social source share

Gene Robertson on this site knows an awful lot about UK releases of the 50's, you could do worse than try him

OK ta, will do. It's from 1961 though, actually. And I've just realised I haven't mentioned what it is yet. Not being mysterious - I'll chuck a couple of scans up in a moment so that people can go - "I know that - it's only worth ten bob" :D

Godz

Social source share

Here we go then. Pretty unusual label for UK at that time. looks legit and not a private press as it has all the standard copyright stuff around the edge.

I know there's some jolly well amazing knowledge on this site so maybe someone can shed some light.

skip1.jpg(post-1918-1159624947_thumb.jpg skip2.jpg(post-1918-1159624995_thumb.jpg

Skip Madison and the Rockomatics - "Rockin Home" / Wory No More" Cosmo (UK ) CMD 1

Cheers

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Here we go then. Pretty unusual label for UK at that time. looks legit and not a private press as it has all the standard copyright stuff around the edge.

I know there's some jolly well amazing knowledge on this site so maybe someone can shed some light.

skip1.jpg(post-1918-1159624947_thumb.jpg skip2.jpg(post-1918-1159624995_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Godz

Absolutely no idea about it, but what an interesting looking record!

Social source share

Absolutely no idea about it, but what an interesting looking record!

Been looked after too - probably just because it wasn't played much. I got it years ago in a huge job lot that included lots of London and Brunswick label rock 'n roll and doo wop. Nearly all the good stuff was trashed though.

Godz

Social source share

A very interesting record indeed,it looks like it could come out of the "Starlite" records stable,starlite has a simler label design etc,of all people who could know is Mick Smith a very astute record dealer,Pete Smiths mate.

If not why not try "jive dive"records they have a page etc on e bay.

Whatever keep us informed on its rarity,maybe i'm just being bloody nosey but i like to know in case i ever come accross one :lol:

ps Pete i got your package and a big thanks..

Toby.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

A very interesting record indeed,it looks like it could come out of the "Starlite" records stable,starlite has a simler label design etc,of all people who could know is Mick Smith a very astute record dealer,Pete Smiths mate.

If not why not try "jive dive"records they have a page etc on e bay.

Whatever keep us informed on its rarity,maybe i'm just being bloody nosey but i like to know in case i ever come accross one :lol:

I've only seen a starlight repress thing from the 80s but yes, it did look similar.

As for letting you know, don't worry Toby - If it's a winner you see wants a plenty appearing on here. Unless Mrs G gets her way of course, in which case it's Christmas in Paris :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

I've only seen a starlight repress thing from the 80s but yes, it did look similar.

As for letting you know, don't worry Toby - If it's a winner you see wants a plenty appearing on here. Unless Mrs G gets her way of course, in which case it's Christmas in Paris :thumbsup:

Godz

I've got a Starlite record here - it is a bit similar but all Starlites appear to say Made In England at the top and not Great Britain. The layout is totally different too. Starlite was the first thing I thought about as well Toby but I reckon that was just because of the label colour!

Social source share

I wonder whether it wasn't commercially available?

It says 'movie-radio music' where publishing info would normally be

one sold for £13.20 on ebay last month

same cat#, label looks the same, but a different 1961 UK press as it had the (intact) push-out centre as opposed to the solid centre yours has

Col

Social source share

I wonder whether it wasn't commercially available?

It says 'movie-radio music' where publishing info would normally be

one sold for £13.20 on ebay last month

same cat#, label looks the same, but a different 1961 UK press as it had the (intact) push-out centre as opposed to the solid centre yours has

Col

...and as Col bangs in the final nail...

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

...and as Col bangs in the final nail...

Godz

Sorry Godz! :lol: who knows - these other 2 may also be bargains of ultra-rare UK R&R... :thumbsup:

Don't want to piss on anyones bonfire, but isn't 1961 a little too late for most Rock n Roll collectors?

not for collectors of UK R&R releases - loads of sought after pieces up to '65 and later....

Social source share

Hi Godz,

Hope you're well mate.

Apart from Deke Wheeler in Southampton, the other source I can recommend is a shop called Sounds That Swing, based in Camden, North London. I'm sure you'd be able to find them if you google them.

There have been a few contenders for the rarest UK R&R 45, and the following are all known to have realised over £1,500 each:

Ron Hargrave - Latch On (MGM)

Mac Curtis - The Low Road (Parlophone)

The Crows - Gee (Columbia)

Jackie Lee Cochran - Mama Don't You Think I Know (Brunswick)

The Chords - Sh'Boom (Columbia)

The Penguins - Earth Angel (London - gold lettering)

The Barons - Don't Walk Out (London - gold lettering)

I've sent you a PM - check your inbox! Love the look of your Cosmo 45 - would love to know more about it.

Gene

PS - Cheers for the plug, Pete!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

i know Glenn Bellamy is a well known N/S dealer but his main passion is Rock & Roll Doo-Wop stuff you could give him a call or email him, unfortunately i dont have either but i suppose somebody on here might help you out on address.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

There is also a guy called Bob Solly who does a lot for Record Collector. He used to put out a great A5 record catalogue which used to turn upo some interesting stuff, usually mis-listed in the wrong section etc.

You can contact him through Record Collector

He used to be in The Manish Boys with David Bowie, 1965

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

He used to be in The Manish Boys with David Bowie, 1965

He's a really nice fella...very friendly and approachable, Ted & I used to meet up with him every year at the victoria record fair.

When he moved house, he had two have 1 removal van for his furniture and 2 removal vans for his vinyl, books & memoribillia.

He collects Excello and apparently has everything on the label.

Social source share

Well the thick plottens...

I contacted respected Rockin' collector Tom Ingram, as advised by Mischief on here and this is what Tom had to say:

Paul

Here's one response I got...

It's one of the rarest of British rock & roll 45's, Roy Williams used to DJ with a copy back in the 80's, it's a bit sappy vocal wise but has a great guitar break, I think Mark Jones (Lamarr) also has a copy, as does Bob Thomas, I think it was a one off release from that label, & I seem to remember that it was owned by an Elecrical repair shop (or something like that) I don't think anyone ever found out who skip was!!

Tom

Dammit.

Maybe I should have grabbed that second copy before Gene got his mitts on it.

Have to say I didn't know Mark Lamarr's name was jones either!

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Could have been worse you could have sold your copy to Gene..

Did he say if it was worth anything..

Not really mate, I think he just grabbed the one off Amazon. Gene also listed some rare UK Rock & Roll 45s, but I think that if this does turn out to have any value it will be as a UK produced 45 - as opposed to US productions issued over here.

Godz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert