Karate Label

Eddie Hubbard

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tere are Canadian issues on the Karate label - same design but multi-coloured instead of the basic blue.

To me this suggests that the label was in Detroit but used Canadian pressing plants when the local ones were busy, when they had a 'hit'.

The Peels - Time Marches on is on the multi design, and I'm sure I've seen another release on the same label.

Social source share

I thought it was New York as well Pete , I'm writing an article on Pied Piper productions , and want to make sure I've got the facts correct .Best ,Eddie

I thought it might be NY too with it being PP production.

Do you have any info on 'Audio Fidelity Records' which the Karate records are a 'product of'

Spurious conection time:

The "A Pied Piper Productions" looks exactly the same (font & size) as on the Hesitations on Kapp which is NY and I know Mike Terry ended up in NY

Social source share

Do you have any info on 'Audio Fidelity Records' which the Karate records are a 'product of'

Spurious conection time:

The "A Pied Piper Productions" looks exactly the same (font & size) as on the Hesitations on Kapp which is NY and I know Mike Terry ended up in NY

I know Time Marches On by The Peels came out on a UK Audio Fidelity label, as there was no UK Karate label - but there appears to be a Karate label in the European countries.

Social source share

Spurious conection time:

Kapp may be NY but the Hesitations recorded in Detroit @ Terra Shirma. Plenty of PP Detroit produced.

Audio Fidelity out of New York.....770 Eleventh Ave, NY 19, NY, owned by Sidney Frey.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

its a new york label. therz a big usa hit on it that came out on stateside at the time

an instrumental I think. am pissed up....... pete smith help me out :thumbsup:

It is certainly New York the only hit they seem to have had was #522 The Peels - Juanita Banana. Is that the one you mean Dave?

I have details on # 503 thru to 541 recorded 1964 to 1966. If any one has any later or early release details, can you let me know.

They did pick a few Detroit recordings and release them along the way. 1st. release #503 interestingly is by Erik & the Vikings but surely NOT the same guys..as it is dreadful pop.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got a copy of The Daytrippers - That's part of the game. Was a bit of a mod anthem around the west country about 1980.

I've only seen white demo's of Karate records, I think. Are issues very common?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

There used to be loads of blue issues of Tony Hestor Watch yourself at Global records in Manchester. I bought one thinking, good record but way too slow to ever take off! Think it cost me two quid. Always assumed it was a Detroit label. You live and learn!

Social source share

One of the holy grails of Aussie soul label collecting is a release on, believe it or not , a custom made Australian "Karate" label , complete with the karate kicking figure design , the record being by the Outcasts "I Found Out About You " , a great Mitch Ryder style stomper which would without doubt go down a storm on dancefloors if somebody played it !

:thumbsup:

Will try to post a label scan .....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert