Barrett Strong - Use Your Head

Mal C

Barrett Strong - Use Your Head, Lots of Acetates finishing on E Bay yesterday, loved this sparse cut of Mary well's Classic, by Barrett strong, anybody know much about it, I see 'Strong' in the writing credits on Mary Wells release, so I guess this was a vocal reference by Strong and others backing. Not much to look at being a blk Acetate, but a nice studio track..

Anybody know more about this one, and the other Barrett strong Acetates?

Mal

Barrett Strong - Use Your Head.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

Barrett Strong - Use Your Head, Lots of Acetates finishing on E Bay yesterday, loved this sparse cut of Mary well's Classic, by Barrett strong, anybody know much about it, I see 'Strong' in the writing credits on Mary Wells release, so I guess this was a vocal reference by Strong and others backing. Not much to look at being a blk Acetate, but a nice studio track..

Anybody know more about this one, and the other Barrett strong Acetates?

Mal

Barrett Strong - Use Your Head.jpg

I would like to hear this badly.  Can anyone upload a sound file of it?

Social source share

That was recorded for 20th Century Fox.  Robert Bateman, Andre Williams, Barrett Strong and Sonny Sanders were the ex-Motowners working on her Detroit 20th Century Fox Mary Wells recordings.  For Strong, he was still living in Chicago, working for VJ at that time.  So, this was moonlighting.  Sanders was still at Golden World.  Bateman was a free lance producer in New York, but also worked on some projects with Popcorn Wylie in Detroit.  I suspect that Wylie may have played piano on some of the Fox recordings, especially the demos for Mary.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I grabbed the sound file, its not the entire song, but gladly send it to you Robb, just ping me your email addy..

So the batch had the following, "This Old Love Of Mine" "Such A Sweet Thing" and the above track 'Use Your Head', got mp3 of all of em, but as Ive said they are the sellers so incomplete, your welcome to them..

Barrett Strong - Such A Sweet Thing.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I grabbed the sound file, its not the entire song, but gladly send it to you Robb, just ping me your email addy..

So the batch had the following, "This Old Love Of Mine" "Such A Sweet Thing" and the above track 'Use Your Head', got mp3 of all of em, but as Ive said they are the sellers so incomplete, your welcome to them..

Barrett Strong - Such A Sweet Thing.jpg

Social source share

3 minutes ago, RobbK said:
5 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Fantastic, thanks.  Such A Sweet Thing and "This Old Love of Mine", were of course, done for ATCO.  i don't seem to remember "This Old Lopve of Mine" on Mary's ATCO LP, or on an ATCO 45.  So, I'll be VERY glad to hear that song.  ALL mary's ATCO recordings were great, and most were very well-written Jalynne songs-very close to her Motown level, as were most of her non-Beatles 20th Century Fox songs.

Social source share

Wow!  They are great!  They were certainly only meant as demos for Mary, given as there was no openly obvious songs marketed for Gay dance clubs at that time.  That must be Barrett, himself, playing the piano.  It's absolutely amazing what Sonny Sanders did to those simple musical renderings of the songs, in his eventual final arrangements and instrumental mixes of the commercial recordings.  The demos are nice to hear, but they give only the slightest indication of how excellent the final product would become.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

RE: Robb's comment on Mary Wells ......   as were most of her non-Beatles 20th Century Fox songs.

Did she cut those Beatles songs for 20th Century coz she had become such close friends with the members of the UK group when she was the main support artist on the Beatles big UK theatre tour back in 1963 ?? 

MaryWellsBeatles.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Roburt said:

RE: Robb's comment on Mary Wells ......   as were most of her non-Beatles 20th Century Fox songs.

Did she cut those Beatles songs for 20th Century coz she had become such close friends with the members of the UK group when she was the main support artist on the Beatles big UK theatre tour back in 1963 ?? 

Yes, she became enamoured with those songs from hearing them on that tour.  And she suggested that  she record an LP of them.  The Fox bigwigs liked the idea, not knowing that the "Pop market" wouldn't take to them.  Those recordings just don't have much zip and energy to them, probably because her Soul producers and arrangers weren't all that inspired by The Beatles' songs, and making Pop records wasn't their expertise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!