Northern/Rare soul cassettes give away

I've have a number of Northern/rare soul tapes/cassettes to give away.

Ideal for DJs/collectors to find something different...all kinds of stuff amongst these tapes.

I've been giving these tapes for a while now....it's hard to find anybody who wants them, and this is my final attempt to do so.

I collected/swapped these tapes over many years, and it will break my heart to bin'em...but that is the next stage I'm afraid.

PM me please if interested

Social source share

1 hour ago, snakepit said:

I've have a number of Northern/rare soul tapes/cassettes to give away.

Ideal for DJs/collectors to find something different...all kinds of stuff amongst these tapes.

I've been giving these tapes for a while now....it's hard to find anybody who wants them, and this is my final attempt to do so.

I collected/swapped these tapes over many years, and it will break my heart to bin'em...but that is the next stage I'm afraid.

PM me please if interested

Hi mate.

Ask Pete Smith. He has the where with all to maybe do something with them - convert to cd etc. I for one would probably pay for some cd's. 

He might not be interested but he's worth a pm.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hope you move them onto a good home - I have boxes of old tapes - many that have given me much pleasure over the years and turned me on to many new records.. I was rooting around the loft a few months ago and pulled out a good few to play when pottering about..  I've played about two! I just tend to go to Mixcloud as my first choice for finding something random and decent to listen to. Damn shame, but I think they'll just continue to gather dust...must say though they have never really deteriorated over the years like I thought they would...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hello Robin

thanks for reply. I have made sure that I have copied all these tapes to CD. That's my first choice, with occasional mixcloud types these days, but have great memories of these tapes. They were mixture of other swappers, sales tapes, fanzine comps ...loads of great tunes . Had about 700.....a lot have been passed on but some still left.

I loved the fact that with tapes , you were more inclined to just let the tape play, i.e. not selecting as with a CD. That way tracks that were not instant got into your system. I had to move to CDs when I changed car...that was the only reason I stopped playing them really. And as you say, they've kept in good shape over the years.

regards

Larry

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Got to agree with Peter...contact Pete smith, top chap..I would also be willing to buy some if transferred to c.d....great for the car.....thank you...Rob

Hi

loads of CDrs made up from these tapes.

would be happy to swap but uncomfortable selling CDrs...if you anything to swap let me know

regards

Larry

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Hope you move them onto a good home - I have boxes of old tapes - many that have given me much pleasure over the years and turned me on to many new records.. I was rooting around the loft a few months ago and pulled out a good few to play when pottering about..  I've played about two! I just tend to go to Mixcloud as my first choice for finding something random and decent to listen to. Damn shame, but I think they'll just continue to gather dust...must say though they have never really deteriorated over the years like I thought they would...

Same here I've got a box full that I can't bear to throw away, I got them ready to go in the bin a while ago but somehow they ended up in my shed :huh:

Social source share

I suppose I'll need me tin at for this but
Hook up a cassette player in the car. If you can't, some local will be able to it's quite simple.
Car Cassette players are about 2 bob now .
I have one in mine and I know there is the instantness of whatever you hook in now, but there is something about the clunk as it goes in
and all the nonsense that goes with it that's somehow ...................
That's my take anyway.
I'd take them but you probably won't be near here and I won't be there and the mail would kill me.

Social source share

Having moved to CD years ago (about 5 year too late in my case) there's no going back....I might get interested n this new mp3 thing one day !!!

all this stuff is now going on Cd so no need for tapes

had a few responses which is all good.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Robin S said:

And my bruv and I still have hundreds from you Robin. 

Social source share

Shame to chuck em, I've lost loads moving house etc but I still play tapes in my car much to everyone's joy. When say car I mean skip on wheels,  makes for interesting driving when the tapes mangle, maybe I need to upgrade to 8 track.  But old tapes are really great, especially live ones from nighters where you can hear yourself & mates discussing the merits of tunes being played. Happy days,  cheers

Social source share

cant pm as just joined but I would be delighted to take some of these.

my car is pre war and takes cassettes and as I drive an hour each way for work

I would love some new sounds as I have got about 20 comp cds on my phone and finding it hard to get ones with unknown tunes to me.

geo 

Social source share

18 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Shame to chuck em, I've lost loads moving house etc but I still play tapes in my car much to everyone's joy. When say car I mean skip on wheels,  makes for interesting driving when the tapes mangle, maybe I need to upgrade to 8 track.  But old tapes are really great, especially live ones from nighters where you can hear yourself & mates discussing the merits of tunes being played. Happy days,  cheers

I was worried I would have to chuck them away, and my last appeal on here brought zilch in terms of interest. But glad to say , so far about 5 guys on board.

I had about 700 tapes..............got rid of majority over the last few years but still plenty to go around.

As I said above, I loved playing in the car, but an upgrade of motor killed that.........so all this stuff is being copied to CDr. Re mangled up....Very few tapes got mangled up as I recall,  surprisingly they were robust.

A lot of these tapes were from dealers and collectors, many of this parish.... sales tapes, fanzine comps, and obscure collectors efforts. The thing is, the majority pre-date NS CDs......It was the only chance to hear this stuff 'up close and personal' at the time.

regards

15 hours ago, geobuch335 said:

cant pm as just joined but I would be delighted to take some of these.

my car is pre war and takes cassettes and as I drive an hour each way for work

I would love some new sounds as I have got about 20 comp cds on my phone and finding it hard to get ones with unknown tunes to me.

geo 

Will sort something out geo...see pm

Social source share

12 hours ago, Kris Holmes said:

i threw over 100 cassettes in the garbage after my last cassette deck in the house died & i got a new car without a tape deck, cassette free since 2010 & haven't looked back.  my advice, just ditch them :thumbsup:

Good advice but just couldn't do it

Social source share

Thanks to the guys who have responded to my tape giveaway.

I've started to post out ....hope you find the tapes ok.

Still a lot of tapes left if anybody is interested.

all I ask is postage...£5 will get about 16 tapes or so.

thanks

Social source share

I'd love some! My car only has a cassette player. It'd cost over £500 to have the BMW branded "Business" kit put in and about the same for a CD changer. I've millions of CDs, which I can't play in the car. It would be a full time job to retirement popping them all on cassette tape and I'm not shelling out on a car I might sell on in a couple of years. I've a cassette deck in the house, so they'd always be of use.

So, yes please!

Social source share

7 minutes ago, flamingemeralds said:

I'd love some! My car only has a cassette player. It'd cost over £500 to have the BMW branded "Business" kit put in and about the same for a CD changer. I've millions of CDs, which I can't play in the car. It would be a full time job to retirement popping them all on cassette tape and I'm not shelling out on a car I might sell on in a couple of years. I've a cassette deck in the house, so they'd always be of use.

So, yes please!

Can you please send me a pm with address details

I've had several enquiries....please note that I ask for postage expenses, the amount your choice,

Had some have shown interest by contacting me and failing to send some cash..postage received, tapes sent!

Thanks

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Motown singles on cassette

In addition to my Northern /rare soul cassette tapes, I have about 35 tapes , which contain Motown 45s , a&bs  etc.

Unfortunately I cannot find the excercise books that had all tracks listed. These tapes are ready to go , and if anybody wants them they can have them, as long as the lack of track listings is ok for you. 

I would prefer to release this lot as ONE job lot....so the first person to contact me via pm and agree to take the lot...they're yours.

Postage about £10...fair?? First come first served

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!