Shadows on USA / Cover up names

Mal C

Hi all, I always had the Shadows on USA cover name as George Towns 'The Stars Above' which I think was a cover name given to this track at Stafford.

I Was playing a Richard Searling show the other week, and now I cant find it, but remember him crediting a different cover name given to this at Wigan, never knew it was a Wigan spin..... so I think Richard credited the cover name 'Jimmy George', I dont remember the title...

Be good to know who spun it first, who covered it at either venue...clip below states Dave withers, which I'd have guessed was Wigan...... dunno....anybody?

and here's an excuse to listen to this brill track again, just cause we can!!!

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

On 14/2/2016 at 22:25, Sean Hampsey said:

Steve Mannion used to play it at Clifton Hall as Shadows / uncovered so, would have thought, it would have been played uncovered by the time Stafford came along.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Manship was selling it on USA well before Stafford (£15 :ohmy:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Historically on our scene lots of  DJ's have continued to mention the former cover up name and the dj who played it first or who covered it up, as in

" Here is Richard's Jimmy Georgetowns cover up, better know today as The Shadows"

and the only bit that sinks in as you are dancing away is the cover up name, because that's what you first knew it as, and maybe if you are so inclined " hasn't that been uncovered?", but let's be honest, you should just be too busy dancing to a fabulous tune (and one that deserves a few more revive spins)

Maybe it's just me but I love keeping our history alive, by name checking the DJ and announcing them under their cover up names, which can of course cause confusion. True story - honestly- one time I announced " One of Guy Hennigan's all time great tunes, Casanova Bennett! and this lad came on stage and said " this is brilliant, sounds almost the same as a record I've got at home by Bobby Hutton" :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!