Isley brothers rumour baby

Davebanks

6 minutes ago, Dayo said:

Early days of Wigan, I reckon.  I certainly don't recall hearing it before Autumn 73.  I'll stand corrected if otherwise, though....

Nah mate definitely played at the Torch, I remember because I was talking to a guy who said they didn't play any Tamla, at the very moment it was playing. Not sure who played it first though, would guess at Alan Day, could be wrong though.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, davebanks said:

Complete trivia I know but where was this first played "out" and by whom.

Obvoiusly it was played from the soul on the rocks lip, listened to the first 20 seconds at 45 rpm many a time !!!

dave banks 

Already had a similar thread to this.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/325754-isley-brothers-tell-me-its-just-a-rumour-baby/#comment-2167181

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/325754-isley-brothers-tell-me-its-just-a-rumour-baby/#comment-2167181

Social source share

18 hours ago, Pat Wallace said:

Torch staple played from the LP. The 45 came out later and if my memory serves me well has a shorter instrumental intro.

The Dutch 45 came out in 1969.. plays the same as the lp..longer intro longer instrumental bit in the middle and an extra verse. the UK 73 copy is edited down

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

2 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

The Dutch 45 came out in 1969.. plays the same as the lp... the UK 73 copy is edited down

yes Dave..................

torch is correct...........remember buying LP................fink it woz a "music for pleasure??" Isley bros compilation ??

could be wrong............again !!

Social source share

1 hour ago, 25miles said:

yes Dave..................

torch is correct...........remember buying LP................fink it woz a "music for pleasure??" Isley bros compilation ??

could be wrong............again !!

I think you're right, or was it the same LP that had "My love is your love" on it too

Kev

Social source share

5 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

I'm pretty sure the LP with 'My Love is your love' doesn't have 'Tell me it's just a Rumour' on it Kev , I may be wrong :g:

I agree the budget LP with Tell Me on was on Starline whereas My Love was on Music for Pleasure, the MFP LP was in every Woolies in the country at the time as I recall. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

I'm pretty sure the LP with 'My Love is your love' doesn't have 'Tell me it's just a Rumour' on it Kev , I may be wrong :g:

you are right swifty, i've got the album with MLIYL it doesn't have 'Tell me it's just a Rumour' on it.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Its The Yellow one ,blue label Starline lp no,srs 5098,the only one without the orange suits in the picture! Contains " 7 Previously Unissued tracks; especially killers,"Trouble" and " Share a little love " . Lp not listed on Discogs or ebay ,the Wonder Of Woollies should be grabbed if you are struggling with the concept of wailing ,pleading ,Angst ridden northern Motown Ronnie is the anecdote {Henning this is the Real Deal ?} Re long intro all versions start with Benny then cue Ron? First play ,well i had it on a single Dutch Or oz or German the latter 2 i presume as it was black label Played pre .alnighter at the Emp sunday night 1971 off a pair of legendary " Movers " Ged Rudd and Desy Boyer assume they got it from some one at the Torch in its short life ,Anectdotally dont remember played st the Torch maybe ,Kev Colin Keith ,Alan martin dave ,can put this one to bed ,Great Post Lol .

Social source share

5 hours ago, conchitta said:

Its The Yellow one ,blue label Starline lp no,srs 5098,the only one without the orange suits in the picture! Contains " 7 Previously Unissued tracks; especially killers,"Trouble" and " Share a little love " . Lp not listed on Discogs or ebay ,the Wonder Of Woollies should be grabbed if you are struggling with the concept of wailing ,pleading ,Angst ridden northern Motown Ronnie is the anecdote {Henning this is the Real Deal ?} Re long intro all versions start with Benny then cue Ron? First play ,well i had it on a single Dutch Or oz or German the latter 2 i presume as it was black label Played pre .alnighter at the Emp sunday night 1971 off a pair of legendary " Movers " Ged Rudd and Desy Boyer assume they got it from some one at the Torch in its short life ,Anectdotally dont remember played st the Torch maybe ,Kev Colin Keith ,Alan martin dave ,can put this one to bed ,Great Post Lol .

Never issued in OZ / Australia in  7" single format.

Social source share

14 hours ago, conchitta said:

Now there's a whole bundle of memories, not all necessarily legal :thumbsup:

Social source share

On 2/8/2016 at 15:32, Dayo said:

Early days of Wigan, I reckon.  I certainly don't recall hearing it before Autumn 73.  I'll stand corrected if otherwise, though....

I'm very much corrected!  Could I have been thinking of R. Dean Taylor?  Similarly available on budget LP - but then, that was known in the Wheel days wasn't it?

Social source share

On 2/8/2016 at 16:46, Chris L said:

Played at the Torch and early Mecca days around 1972 both from a single and album. Seem to remember Ian Levine playing from an Israeli or Indian single. 

I'm pretty certain that around that time a Dutch copy was floating around and was used at The Torch and possibly at The Mecca and if memory serves me correctly it belonged to someone from Accrington, possibly Tubby or Legs, but then again I could be wrong about the ownership!!

Social source share

Thanks for all your replies. I did look to see if it had been discussed before but not well enough eh!

I seem to recall it being played out before the Torch but maybe at youth clubs and the like and I don't think it caught on then because it was too ""fast" . It is a little difficult to dance to sober!! However once we started travelling outside our local area we soon found out what dancing to rumour was all about. I. Recall one guy older than us in a black blazer and patent leather shoes, boy could his feet move, he only seemed to dance to the 100mph stuff, before we knew it as 100mph stuff !!!

dave banks

Social source share

Tell Me its Just A Rumour baby was played at The Wheel.

Most collectors had the Soul On The Rocks album along with all the Motown albums and other popular soul albums.

The Isley brothers featured heavily in The Wheel playlist especially before the last 18 months or so with Why When Love Is Gone , Take me In Your Arms being very popular also the Kim Weston earlier cut.along with This Old heart,Got To Have You Back,Behind A painted Smile etc what were being played in most night clubs.

Edited by bri phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Definitely played at the Torch I'd just started attending nighters and it blew me away at the time . Checked the MFP listings at discogs as I bought it at the time for just for that track but I'm struggling to remember the other tracks on there, although I remember I Hear A Symphony was, and the only one I can see doesn't have rumours on?? The story I heard at the time was it was being played off a German issue of some description.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was also on Behind a painted smile album on UK Tamla Motown, which I think may have been a repackaged version of On The Rocks as I think it has all of the same tracks but in a different order With Painted Smile first track side one. Not sure what year it was released but I bought it in a big WH Smith sale that they had at London Bridge station either 71 or 72

Social source share

On 2/10/2016 at 16:32, SHSDave said:

It was also on Behind a painted smile album on UK Tamla Motown, which I think may have been a repackaged version of On The Rocks as I think it has all of the same tracks but in a different order With Painted Smile first track side one. Not sure what year it was released but I bought it in a big WH Smith sale that they had at London Bridge station either 71 or 72

Yes, I would have played it off the 'Behind A Painted Smile' LP early days.

What a fantastic bunch of tracks to be found on there!

Essential stuff.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Yes, I would have played it off the 'Behind A Painted Smile' LP early days.

What a fantastic bunch of tracks to be found on there!

Essential stuff.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Oh for sure Sean, even now it's probably my favourite Soul/Motown album but back then simply awesome. About time I played it again i think, that's the cooking music sorted for tonight maybe with the this old heart of mine album mixed in :):thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!