Picture Covers Valuation

Supercorsa

Being permanently skint, I was debating whether to sell a couple of records or not.

I've a Don Thomas DJM promo and a Harold Melvin Get Out (French Vogue), which I've recently seen listed at £100 each.

What I'd really like is a more realistic value, to be honest I only thought they were worth about a tenner each.

20160207_171756.thumb.jpg.da22404a7143e820160207_171858.thumb.jpg.dcc9db9cebe010

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

" Ain t no Price Guide on Foreign Issue P/Cs" as the right wonderful Dave Flynn so eloquently argued last month on SS. It si aminefield for the unwary . Take Harry & Blueys ;A US landa recording from 1965 on black /multicoloured agenuine £150 plus, then reissue Phil, La ,Soul £30, Then Route everwhere a Fiver. Lo and behold a truly lovely Foreign picture cover [ Discogs £70 } as scan ! Issued in europe ,our partners despite brexit,in 1975.Ditto ;the " Champion" ," You just Dont Know" Walk in My Shoes" The list goes on actually common 70s reissues from holland france spain, italy .Sebia etc,etc  Value your "Get Out" get it for £10 to £15. LOL 

Social source share

On 07/02/2016 at 17:30, Supercorsa said:

Being permanently skint, I was debating whether to sell a couple of records or not.

I've a Don Thomas DJM promo and a Harold Melvin Get Out (French Vogue), which I've recently seen listed at £100 each.

What I'd really like is a more realistic value, to be honest I only thought they were worth about a tenner each.

20160207_171756.thumb.jpg.da22404a7143e820160207_171858.thumb.jpg.dcc9db9cebe010

Nice to have the sleeve notes.

Hope you're ok Ian. Don't see you on here so much.

peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

2 hours ago, soul shrews said:

It does look nice but I suspect a 70s release maybe trying to cash in on thier Philly Int success or the UK Route (re) issue in the UK.

Cheers Paul

It's from 1975. Probably released on the back of the Route release success. Wouldn't be the first continental release released the same time as a british reissue. E.g. Chubby Checker YJDK on spanish London.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

For what it's worth Record Collector price guide quotes the Don Thomas p/s demo at £20. It was released in May 1976. It prices the stock copy at £10.

there are foreign picture sleeve price guides if you look around. I have French, German and Dutch guides acquired over the years.  The French is the most complete although the Dutch isn't far behind.

a visit to record fairs in Sweden, Spain and Italy and talking to dealers there is a good way to know what's available and the prices. English is generally spoken by the established dealers. Plus a nice weekend in Madrid, Stockholm or Milan, well worth the trip.

Get Out turns up at French record fairs and sells for around 20-30 euro. I just looked on Popsike and saw one sold for £100 although generally it looks to sell for £40-£50. Presumably the £100 record has shill bidding involved?

Social source share

Jukebox Magazine has published an argus in several volumes of all non-French language 60s picture sleeve releases over five volumes. If you contact Jacques Leblanc, he can surely provide a copy. It covers all genres but the soul releases are very well covered. Very few are missed. The Argus has a colour picture of the sleeve with a track listing, reference number, year of release and price guide. The prices are sometimes questionable (both up and down) but with rare records in all countries that is often the case.

Daniel Delorme made also a similar book a long time ago covering only black American EPs released in France. However it had no prices and had quite a lot of omissions and no prices. Fabulous EPs it's called and shows up on eBay from time to time.

Social source share

14 hours ago, bobkayli said:

The prices are sometimes questionable (both up and down) but with rare records in all countries that is often the case.

Daniel Delorme made also a similar book a long time ago covering only black American EPs released in France. However it had no prices and had quite a lot of omissions and no prices. Fabulous EPs it's called and shows up on eBay from time to time.

I think that most of the records listed are overpriced, and usually you can find them (even in record fairs) for a more realistic price.

Daniel Delorme's book is beautiful, too bad it's long out of print.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

I hereby announce my abdication from my infamous attempts at N.S. Record valuations!  After my attempt At Harold Melvins Valuation , Ihave Decided to take the words of his song Literally ! In the spate of 12 posts the price has been valued at :  £100, £75,£40 , £50 ,£20 , £15 and £10 {Me!] To further my prowess it seems {according to yesterdays Comedy Sale post A hammered Jackie Edwards is £400 and Lillie the Pink and Yellow tayster ,Pressing is £300 my valuation out by 200% and 300% ! I shall stick to writing Horoscopes and forecasting Lottery Numbers , in comparison  "Piece Of Cake" ! LOL Johnny P.S [ Will be offering my services to the adorable John Manship for his "US Price Guide Vol 7 & Guide to Reissues ,Bootlegs and Pressings Vol 4 ,Mission Impossible? ]

Social source share

6 hours ago, Philippe said:

I think that most of the records listed are overpriced, and usually you can find them (even in record fairs) for a more realistic price.

Daniel Delorme's book is beautiful, too bad it's long out of print.

Some are overpriced and some not, as you say, they can often be picked up cheaper at record fairs.

An underpriced Example would be the Chris Clark French EP at 25 euro.... I'd buy a box load at that price any day...

i bought my copy of Daniels book from him a long time ago. It is well done but there are lots of omissions and only EPs, 45s are not covered. Also the sleeves are in black and white only. It was good as a start point but the jukebox series has the edge.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!