ALT CUTS OF DARRELL BANKS LOOK-A-LIKE UK DEMO OUR LOVE+OPEN THE DOOR

ANY ONE ELSE NOTICED ON  (SOME)?  COPIES OF THIS (BOOTLEG LONDON DEMO)OF OPEN THE DOOR + OUR LOVE,...BOTH SIDES ARE DIFFERENT CUTS TO THE (CLASSIC VERSIONS) ANYONE WITH ANY INFO ??? ON HOW THIS HAS COME ABOUT....CURIOUS OR WHAT..... & HOW MANY ALT'S WERE DONE ? WERE THEY WITHDRAWN ?ARE THERE STILL SOME ABOUT ?....I KNOW YER INTERESTED NOW ?.....GLEN.

Social source share

Do you have a copy of each to play. or is it just by going on sound clips from different listings (which are indeed different, but not necessarily the correct sound clip - I mean the sound clips don't always line up with records for sale if ripped from YouTube etc). Just a thought.

However, If you do have a copy of each, there must be a difference in the matrix.

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

13 hours ago, GLENSSOULSOUNDS said:

Hi mick,...long time hope yer well,,i bought 2 demo's 1 to frame ,one to play out (to save my s'side demo)they both play the alt cuts?...found a s'clipp on  an ebay listing of a copy but that was the (normal) cut....strange....cheers,...glen

Hi Glen,

Yes, I'm fine Sir.

So, as I understand it, you have two copies but both are the same alternate (Atco LP) versions of both sides. Does anyone have a copy that is the original take, or is this just one press run of the Atco versions, where copies from sellers with orig soundfiles are just a mistake.

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

Better put the pressing plant on standby looks like there could be a run on this title LOL

I wasn't aware that the album cuts were any different (although my mates got an original copy and I'm sure he's told me before.....sorry Kev) the album cuts seem a bit rushed and Darrell has trouble getting the lyrics out perhaps it was the chore of re-recording what was a big seller at the time.

In answer to the question was the Atlantic recording in stereo and therefore a better option for re-recording, or was it contractual,

or is it a clever marketing ploy (planting Easter eggs)

I've got to admit to liking the idea of framing it maybe this is the answer to what to do with all the latest 'superior' boots that can only be given away:wicked:

Social source share

38 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Better put the pressing plant on standby looks like there could be a run on this title LOL

I wasn't aware that the album cuts were any different (although my mates got an original copy and I'm sure he's told me before.....sorry Kev) the album cuts seem a bit rushed and Darrell has trouble getting the lyrics out perhaps it was the chore of re-recording what was a big seller at the time.

In answer to the question was the Atlantic recording in stereo and therefore a better option for re-recording, or was it contractual,

or is it a clever marketing ploy (planting Easter eggs)

I've got to admit to liking the idea of framing it maybe this is the answer to what to do with all the latest 'superior' boots that can only be given away:wicked:

I think it is different. I'll give it a listen when I get home tonight.

Kev

Social source share

it really is depressing. Almost every week bootlegs are discussed on here, I'm beginning  think most people are in favour .,boasting about purchasing and even framing them. if no one bought them no one would press them

Sadly there seems to be no solution!

Edited by tobytyke
correction
Social source share

5 minutes ago, tobytyke said:

it really is depressing. Almost every week bootlegs are discussed on here, I'm beginning  think most people are in favour .,boasting about purchasing and even framing them. if no one bought them no one would press them

Sadly there seems to be no solution!

People do want to buy them and till the market drops this activity will continue , these sort of boots though con no one I suppose and it is just a sideshow to the scene that most people on here relate to.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well you couldn't. Make it up, well someone did. I can see it now, the ultimate northern soul track. Two respected obscure artists on one label,miscredited.American recording, Iconic song on rare uk demo that's  a boot. Think that covers most bases.  Strange thing is, in the future this frankensteinesque  disc may become collectible,  doubt I'll  be here, though if I am  I'll probably too busy p. ing / crapping and dribbling to care. Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, SWIFTY said:

So we have a boot of a record that is actually somebody else , FFS the SWONS has officially gone mad !! What next an Impel boot of Ann Sexton but sung by Frank Pop Ensemble , who fooking knows eh? :g:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Well we've also got the Candi Staton 'Unity' boot that plays her 1999 re-recording!

Social source share

The answer to the "revelation" about the "darrell banks" boot is quite simple, the point of the question was to share this "cock-up" in title/artist of the 45 ? i have a "j j barnes" our love & knew it was the same track & ,i was simply making others aware of it, & as already stated"it will end up being a collectors item in itself, like it or not,....thank one & all. glen.

Social source share

15 hours ago, GLENSSOULSOUNDS said:

The answer to the "revelation" about the "darrell banks" boot is quite simple, the point of the question was to share this "cock-up" in title/artist of the 45 ? i have a "j j barnes" our love & knew it was the same track & ,i was simply making others aware of it, & as already stated"it will end up being a collectors item in itself, like it or not,....thank one & all. glen.

Thanks for sharing the information that this record plays 'JJ Barnes' instead of 'Darrell Banks' , if anyone bought it and did not like the 'Barnes' version they could frame it I suppose :lol: 

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Why didn't you share all this information in your initial post rather than ask why it was an alternate take, was it a withdrawn alternate take and how many was done. If you knew it was JJ Barnes why buy two copies, one to frame and the other to save wear on your Stateside copy :thumbsup:

Surely you mean Revilot :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

firstly, i bought the 2 copies unheard,..played them & thought thats ..j.j.barnes ?.was not 100% sure because of the slightly alt cut of "open the door" on other side...thought i would open it up for informational & disscusional reasons,...seems to have worked,...thanks to everyone,.....still the underlying question is,...why the j.j.barnes cut on the london label credited to darrell.banks,.....glen.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, GLENSSOULSOUNDS said:

firstly, i bought the 2 copies unheard,..played them & thought thats ..j.j.barnes ?.was not 100% sure because of the slightly alt cut of "open the door" on other side...thought i would open it up for informational & disscusional reasons,...seems to have worked,...thanks to everyone,.....still the underlying question is,...why the j.j.barnes cut on the london label credited to darrell.banks,.....glen.

It is not on the London label though is it Glen it is a bootleg and done by stupid bootleggers at that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, WoodButcher said:
4 hours ago, stockholmsoulfox said:

I've always liked the J.J Barnes take. I used to have the very pretty, Revilot multi-coloured stock copy..

Given the surreal, bootleg, mistaken identity and occasionally  defensive nature of this thread what's your favourite version? ....:wink:

Darrell Banks UK London Demo orig (US Revilot) version Pete.

Wouldn't trade mine for 1,000 Bootlegs.

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!