Records that are literally too good to play

Dayo

Absolutely and i thought I was the only one who rationed their own records.  I will only rarely play tsu toronadoes - what good am i and masters of soul - do you really love me.  There are quite a lot of records that I wont play at home because I only want to hear them if I am on the decks or the dancefloor - because I want them to remain special and any other situation is a wasted play for me! (if the wife plays a cd with such a track on it I turn it off!)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

I totally follow you with the Spinners 'it's a shame'. It either works in a very creative DJ set or facilitate the exit way when played in the dullest DJ set. 

Interesting point - This tune works for Adam (Buchanan) every time he decides to play it (Going back many years)

Yes a tune can sound (come across) so different to another time.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Good thread - I'm exactly the same.  In fact I go out of my way to avoid hundreds of favourites in case they become (to my ears) "Frank-Wilsonised":lol:....so when I do give them a good blast they still sound as fresh as ever.

Cheers...........Pete

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Steve L said:

Personally I'm trying to limit my exposure to Eddie Parker - I'm gone which is on the verge of becoming overplayed for me and I'd hate to get fed up of it

I've gone the opposite way with that - I've known it for 40 years but only in the last 4 or 5 I have become to appreciate it properly - it's been on my last 3 or 4 Northern podcasts in a row and I can't wait to slot it in to be honest.  I love my records and I play them a lot, I've been playing 300 of the same records for decades and never get tired of them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I really follow you on this feel the same about loads of tunes,

spinners- i'll be around,

bobby reed- I'll find a way

are two that spring instantly to mind, Del larks is another, I believe it got really hammered at Wigan, justifiable, but a shame it ruined it for many.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Searling's Mayfield singers"the weather's always the same" never saw much action, a one copy only acetate but he was reluctant to play it for the above reason.Must be the epitome of a Chicago dancer, nice unreleased Donny Hathaway version too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 20 January 2016 at 06:57, chas said:

Richard Searling's Mayfield singers"the weather's always the same" never saw much action, a one copy only acetate but he was reluctant to play it for the above reason.Must be the epitome of a Chicago dancer, nice unreleased Donny Hathaway version too.

Never actually heard it at a nighter - had it on a tape Mickey Cruise gave me many years ago (had a lot of very very rare obscure things on it, at least at the time, like the MBs - who always sounded like they actually WERE the Merseybeats to me! and the Mello Souls long before it was being played) and loved it instantly - had no idea what it was for a LONG time - I notice its very hard to find boots of it now (all simply having the vocal of Dont Start None instead) - the lyrics are just brilliant whilst the backing is out of this world - overall immeasurably better than Bobby Callendar etc.

There are certainly quite a few records that I absolutely worship but never dance to simply because I wanted to listen as closely as possible to them - things like The Sonatas Going Down The Road, The Mello Souls We Can Make It, John Edwards The Look On Your Face, Linda Clifford You Are You Are, The Masqueraders How (and a number I use to just sit back quietly and enjoy watching my friends loving on the floor) loads more besides (now THAT would be a weird set!) - all stuff with brilliant lyrics, plus a lot of things I love but can't catch the beat on like the Admirations (just CANNOT dance to it).

I also have stuff that I love that I almost never play at home and guess I ration myself to like Herbert Hunter. Johhny Gilliam is another one - I could only listen to it a couple of times a year coz it just poleaxed me - specially in my black dog times years ago when it used to knock me suicidal - sold my second one last year but I've no doubt I'll buy it again.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Hey up you two,I think Richard must've had a couple cut for Tim Brown and Andy Dyson, both played it at the Wilton and it jumped in the same spot as his acetate! There's a fabulous mid tempo version which is slightly different but we'll worth a look by Emmett Garner jnr "check out what you've got".Eileen says hi...see you soon.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!