soul bros inc pyramid how much for a mint one after this

Speedlimit

Guest Ivor Jones
33 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I would have said £600 to £800 in the real world but from what  people are quoting in previous posts. what do I know

Steve ( hasn't got a clue ) Smith

Yep. The trouble is though Steve,that real world is also inhabited by people who haven't been around on the scene for years like many people  on here and some of them are prepared to pay a lot of money for trophy records. Like it or not,as good as they undoubtedly are, these are trophy records nowadays. In the big picture of things, they are also pretty scarce these days,mainly coming from collections these days I would say, and, like has been said before, they don't make them anymore. The price is only going one way as far as I can see…...

Social source share

It's a great soul record for sure. Just to put a different slant on Steve's thread....................................

So, who played this first? For some reason my memory associates this with Pat Brady in the 80's - although my memory/knowledge is not something one would wager on in the slightest.

:huh:

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

It's a great soul record for sure. Just to put a different slant on Steve's thread....................................

So, who played this first? For some reason my memory associates this with Pat Brady in the 80's - although my memory/knowledge is not something one would wager on in the slightest.

:huh:

Dave Thorley at Stafford

Social source share

11 hours ago, Dennisoul said:

Dave Thorley at Stafford

1 hour ago, rhino said:

shaun gibbons got a copy same time as dave thornley off the same source anderson i think, so cant be sure which allnighter was 1st would same not much but think the cds credit it to stafford . big at both venues .

Thanks Chaps

:thumbsup:

Social source share

On 1/11/2016 at 17:25, JulianB said:

How much for a MINT DJ COPY ?:D:g:

only ever seen one, when I bought my copy from a guy from the leicester area (not Manny) for £400

he had secured half a dozen or so from a member of the group and one WAS a promo copy

Tried to offer a bit more for the Demo but the guy had the sense to say no, nevermind I'm happy with

my minter and from a band member too !!! :thumbsup: 

(demo identical to issues but have PROMOTION COPY in same gold lettering as rest of disc on one side of the credits)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, rhino said:

shaun gibbons got a copy same time as dave thornley off the same source anderson i think, so cant be sure which allnighter was 1st would same not much but think the cds credit it to stafford . big at both venues .

Got mine from Butch & Tim Ashebend and covered it up as Mel Britt, told John Anderson what it was after I played it at Stafford for about 6 months. He then pulled out a small stock he had and offered them for sale

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dave Thorley said:

Got mine from Butch & Tim Ashebend and covered it up as Mel Britt, told John Anderson what it was after I played it at Stafford for about 6 months. He then pulled out a small stock he had and offered them for sale

sorry dave i stand corrected was going off a conversation i was involved in but what a awesome tune. thats what i love about this site find out the history of such records. had butch or tim played at any venues before you dave or was you the 1st dj to play it? was a great time for undiscovered tunes, what others records were your discoveries at stafford dave? 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, rhino said:

sorry dave i stand corrected was going off a conversation i was involved in but what a awesome tune. thats what i love about this site find out the history of such records. had butch or tim played at any venues before you dave or was you the 1st dj to play it? was a great time for undiscovered tunes, what others records were your discoveries at stafford dave? 

I think Dave had quite a few firsts at Stafford. As has been very well documented by Chalky in his post wigan post this was a fantastic time for new records - I never really bought into the "60's mafia" sound but loved lots of other stuff.

Social source share

On 12/01/2016 at 20:19, rhino said:

I'm sure someone had played it somewhere before, but in conversation with Tim & Butch none of us could remember it being played so I thought I'd cover it up. Like so many tunes around in the early 80's I think it had been in some of the late 70's Soul Bowl packs. But at the time of playing it John didn't put two and two together until I told him, then he said 'I think i've still got a few of those'. Simular story with Dan Brantley aka Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby. The first copy came from Ady Pountain and he suggested covering it as Dan Brantley. Although John didn't attend many venues, he did keep his ear to the ground as to what was getting played. He asked me on several visits what this record by Dan Brantley was I was playing, but I kept shtum, partly because unbeknown to him I was buying a few at a time from him It wasn't until I rang him to get a third helping of the Sam Dees that he twigged and said he wouldn't let me have anymore unless I told what the deal was, good old John, you could never pull the wool over his eyes for to long.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

I think Dave had quite a few firsts at Stafford. As has been very well documented by Chalky in his post wigan post this was a fantastic time for new records - I never really bought into the "60's mafia" sound but loved lots of other stuff.

cheers dave its stories/incites into people like yourself who where at the forefront post wigan that kept it going forward and introducing quality records us punters and to me like to know the back ground info about these record think old age is turning me into an anorak lol

Social source share

On 12/01/2016 at 21:39, Dave Thorley said:

I'm sure someone had played it somewhere before, but in conversation with Tim & Butch none of us could remember it being played so I thought I'd cover it up. Like so many tunes around in the early 80's I think it had been in some of the late 70's Soul Bowl packs. But at the time of playing it John didn't put two and two together until I told him, then he said 'I think i've still got a few of those'. Simular story with Dan Brantley aka Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby. The first copy came from Ady Pountain and he suggested covering it as Dan Brantley. Although John didn't attend many venues, he did keep his ear to the ground as to what was getting played. He asked me on several visits what this record by Dan Brantley was I was playing, but I kept shtum, partly because unbeknown to him I was buying a few at a time from him It wasn't until I rang him to get a third helping of the Sam Dees that he twigged and said he wouldn't let me have anymore unless I told what the deal was, good old John, you could never pull the wool over his eyes for to long.

Ay up Dave

Hope you're well mate. 

Yep, good old John. I was never a huge buyer but bought quite a few bits from the bowl in the early 80's - John was always really friendly and helpful. 

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

3 hours ago, hammie said:

only ever seen one, when I bought my copy from a guy from the leicester area (not Manny) for £400

he had secured half a dozen or so from a member of the group and one WAS a promo copy

Tried to offer a bit more for the Demo but the guy had the sense to say no, nevermind I'm happy with

my minter and from a band member too !!! :thumbsup: 

(demo identical to issues but have PROMOTION COPY in same gold lettering as rest of disc on one side of the credits)

Hi Hammie

mine says DJ Copy in the same gold lettering ( would have to get it out to tell you on which side of the label)

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely at the pinnacle of soulfulness. Always regret turning down a signed copy from George Brown's daughter after she offered some up for about £300. Early days of money exchange then and seemed a bit sus. Rich Buckley got one from that source and true enough they were legit. 

Did anyone else have one off her? 

Social source share

• 2 months later...

That was sisters copy that sold the other day  she brought it of George  from derby  for £20  in 1984  he used to hang round with Rob Smith  tall guy ginger hair  always had great records for sale  the first copies of  Wilbur Reynolds, the Enchantments , Jimmy Seals  and Jessie Davis came through him  my sisters well chuffed  . she sold it as she's moving to Spain and no longer  plays vinyl so she thought she'd let it go to a good home .:thumbsup:

Social source share

17 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

That was sisters copy that sold the other day  she brought it of George  from derby  for £20  in 1984  he used to hang round with Rob Smith  tall guy ginger hair  always had great records for sale  the first copies of  Wilbur Reynolds, the Enchantments , Jimmy Seals  and Jessie Davis came through him  my sisters well chuffed  . she sold it as she's moving to Spain and no longer  plays vinyl so she thought she'd let it go to a good home .:thumbsup:

Yep, she's done ok there.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

52 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

George from Derby not seen him for years wonder what happened to him 

Social source share

Bought my copy in about 1985 for £35.00 from Jimmy Price.

Round about 1989 I got wind that it had been pressed and sold it to Rudzi (Boogaloo Records, Leic) for £100 as I needed to buy more bricks to finish building my garage. The idea being that I could easily buy one back at a later date.....How wrong I was..

Could pay someone to build a whole garage now if I still had it.

Wonder if Rudzi still has it????

Social source share

On 07/04/2016 at 14:54, Andyontherock said:

Bought my copy in about 1985 for £35.00 from Jimmy Price.

Round about 1989 I got wind that it had been pressed and sold it to Rudzi (Boogaloo Records, Leic) for £100 as I needed to buy more bricks to finish building my garage. The idea being that I could easily buy one back at a later date.....How wrong I was..

Could pay someone to build a whole garage now if I still had it.

Wonder if Rudzi still has it????

Hi mate,

still got THANKS.

Amazed at the price on ebay the other day.

Regards

Paul Rudzy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!