Drill/BB Hole when grading records

Kegsy

Just had a complaint from a buyer that the record I sold him had a drill/BB hole. No complaint re condition M- etc.

I don't know about others but I never mention drill/BB hole when grading as they are present probably 50% of the time. I've never really considered them as an issue when it comes to grading a record. What does the panel think ?

Social source share

If I sell any 45's I try and grade accurately and always supply an actual label scan in the sale. I did have a buyer PM me about a DH on a 45 I sold , but I advised it was clearly visible on the scan, since then I put DH in the text to alleviate any mis-understandngs about condition.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Drill holes I believe should be mentioned,  especially if there is no picture of the said record for sale.

Personally drill holes don't bother me too much, but they may others.  I mean if sticker marks or writing on labels get mentioned  (also affect price), why shouldn't drill holes be mentioned?

I suppose it's all down to a personal choice. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Always thought drill holes add provenance for me - you don't see many 'boots' with them.   The only time I get annoyed is when they are in the run-out groove!!  it then becomes an issue with the 'playing surface' rather than a cosmetic issue with the label so should be mentioned.

Agree with this.

Plus, I'm pretty sure when we bought from Soul Bowl back in the 1970s that some of the records had drill holes - as well as crosses on the labels of demos - and they were all listed as mint.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Peter Richer said:

Agree with this.

Plus, I'm pretty sure when we bought from Soul Bowl back in the 1970s that some of the records had drill holes - as well as crosses on the labels of demos - and they were all listed as mint.

I just sold a Four Pro's that I got from Soul Bowl as mint and it has a drill hole. That is the reason I sent a scan to the buyer and he was happy. 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Just had a complaint from a buyer that the record I sold him had a drill/BB hole. No complaint re condition M- etc.

I don't know about others but I never mention drill/BB hole when grading as they are present probably 50% of the time. I've never really considered them as an issue when it comes to grading a record. What does the panel think ?

I got a similar complaint on discogs Kegsy, so i mention it all the time now

I agree that when you are buying from web sites, ebay etc where there is a scan of the actual item, it's not as important but when on discogs (where it is usually a generic photo) it needs mentioning (imho)

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I've always mentioned any sawcut in jackets, drill holes, etc...

Those, for the most part represent a record that was in a small shop that went out of business and were marked so they couldn't be sold at full wholesale again.

The market was flooded with them, years ago. Some drill holes did represent a demo... or radio station copy, but in large part they're fodder from the loss of so many record stores, decades ago.

Social source share

Best to mention any flaws. Most buyers know what BB means and can judge whether to buy or not if the record has a cut-out hole. Most buyers are not fussed about drill holes but there are a few who are. Some bootlegs have been given the drill-hole treatment so caution is advised. As already mentioned, a drill hole on the run-out is a real problem and one that has put me off buying in the past.

Social source share

On 11/01/2016 at 15:26, VinylvilleLA said:

Those, for the most part represent a record that was in a small shop that went out of business and were marked so they couldn't be sold at full wholesale again.

Also record distributers who had warehouses full of old stock, that they wanted to sell on, would stack them up and get some young kid to drill them. 

So they could not be sold on by the buyers for full price.  Damaged stock.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!