Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Taken today at a very gloomy Burton Mere RSPB reserve.

A few firsts for me managed to see a Water Pipit, Greenshank, and I think my very first Hen Harrier. Unfortunately they were all viewed through binoculars as they where too far away to take any photographs

Steve

IB2A7032 (3).JPG

Wow! Thats fantastic Steve. Absolutely first class mate - and obviously very seasonal.

Pete

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I thought it might have been thinking about who's the guy with the lens that's bigger than he is.:lol:

Steve

Or the constant rise in the price of fish.  Do you mean a lens bigger than the gull or Martyn? Because that would be very cruel, and very funny at the same time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

That would be me he is referring to Dave, not cruel at all, but certainly funny and close to the truth

Anyway also clocked this record breaker as well yesterday, it is a Common Sandpiper and it should be back in sunny Africa now, this is the latest recorded date for the species on the reservoir ... it obviously likes the cold

529_057.jpg

So every day it sets a new record?  Now there's a brave bird.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't have a photo but on Saturday I was privileged to see a Sea Brown Trout in a little stream near me, they come to spawn and make the journey all the way to here. It was covered in white scales, this is something they gain to help them cope with the salt water. It was massive the fish I saw.  It must be so healthy the beck and was lovely to see 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, suzannek said:

I don't have a photo but on Saturday I was privileged to see a Sea Brown Trout in a little stream near me, they come to spawn and make the journey all the way to here. It was covered in white scales, this is something they gain to help them cope with the salt water. It was massive the fish I saw.  It must be so healthy the beck and was lovely to see 

Nice one.We used to try and net them back in 70s off the Norfolk coast from my dads boat.

Not much luck but we had a couple of decent ones.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, suzannek said:

Suz. That's a fabulous sight to see. Had the pleasure of it myself many years ago when I was camping on shell island . I was up to my waist in the sea / estuary and I actually had them touch my legs as they swam passed me. Simply awesome and as you say a privilege.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Suz. That's a fabulous sight to see. Had the pleasure of it myself many years ago when I was camping on shell island . I was up to my waist in the sea / estuary and I actually had them touch my legs as they swam passed me. Simply awesome and as you say a privilege.

Steve

It quite amazes me how they can spawn in the stream as it is quite shallow in parts, it goes into the River Gaunless where I thought they would spawn not the beck. The one I saw was huge, granted he was in the deepest pool.  I knew we had fish living in there as we have two pair of Kingfishers at least on there as well as have seen Dippers feeding too.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 11/20/2016 at 21:33, Winsford Soul said:

Love walking. Treated my self to a pair of Meindl vakuum gtx boots a couple of years ago.  Best described as 4x4 slippers. Awesome, totally recommended. Back on track pardon the pun. I've been to fountains Abbey, loved it. Used to go on my way to piercebridge soul night's and would spend hours walking around the place in all sorts of weather.

Steve

Are these the boots, Steve?

https://www.milletsports.co.uk/product/brown-meindl-mens-vakuum-ultra-walking-boot/241589_firstsport/?awc=5803_1481215940_88351bae874fdc8ffd27b847b5421e20&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=Communities+%26+UGC&utm_campaign=HotUKDeals

Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

No mate. they're the vakuum ultra walking boot. Mine are the vakuum GTX walking boots

Steve

Social source share

4 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Steve. 

Go on the go outdoors website. Click on men's then walking boots my boots are on the second row in the middle. £206.99. Hope this helps you

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Here's  the very first picture taken with the new to me Canon 500mm f4.L is usm mk2 lens , not very sharp but holding four kilos will take some getting used to, cant wait to get out with it properly but back in work tomorrow till Wednesday

Steve

IB2A7155.JPG

Did you have to get your nuts out to tempt the squirrel, Steve?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow! What a super picture Martyn. 

And what a spectacular visitor!

Pete

Cheers Pete, our garden is one massive ant nest and Green Woodpeckers love ants and their eggs, we often get them in the garden, however they are extremely skittish and easily spooked so I have to be careful when I try to photograph them.

Social source share

1 hour ago, martyn pitt said:

Cheers Pete, our garden is one massive ant nest and Green Woodpeckers love ants and their eggs, we often get them in the garden, however they are extremely skittish and easily spooked so I have to be careful when I try to photograph them.

Yaffles are my favourite British native bird, mostly because I don't like ants.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, bbrich said:

The force of nature !  The morning after a tree came down whilst fishing in france earlier this year. My bivvy is underneath just left of the trunk, my mates to the right. We had vacated them less than 2 mins before when a rather scary storm arrived. Lost a lot of gear but lucky to escape unhurt.

IMG_0502.JPG

Looks like a quaking aspen, notoriously shallow rooted and grow by water, not a clever place to pitch a bivvy.

Social source share

Now you tell me !!  seriously though you cant sit out in 40 degrees of sun for a week. a 'Quaking Aspen' - I think it was me & my pal that were the 'quaking' ones...

my neighbour (a tree surgeon) reckoned it was a Lime - either way we will have to avoid trees in future!

Edited by bbrich
Social source share

42 minutes ago, bbrich said:

Now you tell me !!  seriously though you cant sit out in 40 degrees of sun for a week. a 'Quaking Aspen' - I think it was me & my pal that were the 'quaking' ones...

my neighbour (a tree surgeon) reckoned it was a Lime - either way we will have to avoid trees in future!

I've a degree in botany, grown bonsai for 45 years, and can guarantee it's not a lime.  Populus tremuloides, the quaking aspen, would be my bet, but that's just from the photo.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Nice looking dog too. 

I think it might be in Spain Peter, Repsol is a Spanish petrol company with higher than normal prices (called ripoffsol by me and others), where whether dogs are good looking or not they need a lot of luck to survive, at the end of each hunting year lots of dogs are just turned out into the countryside where they soon perish as roadkill or die of starvation.  There's definitely a 1000 Euro fine imposed on people feeding feral cats, which I do daily, and it may well imply to dogs too.  You get small semi rural packs of dogs terrorising neighbourhoods all because they are hungry as on the whole the Spanish are not animal lovers and haven't the sense to placate them with food, trap them in cages and have them neutered, thereby preventing unwanted offspring to continue the bad habits.  I have a feral cat that I used to feed about 200 yards away that is now a resident on my doormat, her brother has come about half way, but he's more adventurous and knows where there's other food available. 

This ridiculous country has communal waste bins that it's illegal to deposit rubbish in during the day, and recently someone wrote into the paper about the police telling him off for deposit a bag of dog poo during the day while out walking his dog.  They still condone the needless slaughter of bulls for public show, so you can't really argue with them as their mentality is barbaric. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, TattooDave said:

I think it might be in Spain Peter, Repsol is a Spanish petrol company with higher than normal prices (called ripoffsol by me and others), where whether dogs are good looking or not they need a lot of luck to survive, at the end of each hunting year lots of dogs are just turned out into the countryside where they soon perish as roadkill or die of starvation.  There's definitely a 1000 Euro fine imposed on people feeding feral cats, which I do daily, and it may well imply to dogs too.  You get small semi rural packs of dogs terrorising neighbourhoods all because they are hungry as on the whole the Spanish are not animal lovers and haven't the sense to placate them with food, trap them in cages and have them neutered, thereby preventing unwanted offspring to continue the bad habits.  I have a feral cat that I used to feed about 200 yards away that is now a resident on my doormat, her brother has come about half way, but he's more adventurous and knows where there's other food available. 

This ridiculous country has communal waste bins that it's illegal to deposit rubbish in during the day, and recently someone wrote into the paper about the police telling him off for deposit a bag of dog poo during the day while out walking his dog.  They still condone the needless slaughter of bulls for public show, so you can't really argue with them as their mentality is barbaric. 

Hi Dave

I do like Spain but dislike their attitude towards, and treatment of, animals. 

Social source share