Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

If you have any keen gardeners locally that propagate a lot of plants it might be worth checking to see if they have the Buddleia davidii x globosa hybrids as I'm sure the butterflies would enjoy them and it would give you extra colour in the garden, without you having to buy from a garden centre at an over inflated price.  I don't know what happens to the butterflies in Spain you don't see many from July onwards, probably too hot.

If I wake up early I take the dog for a long walk, then he'll sleep while I'm getting ready for work.

I don't think Commas are plentiful anywhere these days, and we don't help much.

We got our Buddleia from our neighbour, we have Roses, Fuchsia, Mint, Lucifers, Yellow Loosestrife, White Campion, Mayweed also growing. A patch of nettles and thistles as well as a bit of long grass. It is a bit of a wild garden, but it a wildlife haven. Both bees and butterflies love it. :D

Suz x

• Helpful 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Venus said:

got to laugh...a couple of months a go my son brought home a bitch that had been badly mistreated to go along side our other dog...at first she was that nervous, didn't want to be stroked/fussed and would just go hide under the dining table...Last owner who had rescued her said she doesn't go on the sofa or upstairs on the bed...well that's not the case anymore...take a look...OMG...even snoring Zzzzzz's and has her head on the pillows :rofl:

2016-06-20 22.57.46.jpg

2016-06-20 22.58.31 (1).jpg

2016-06-23 16.12.01.jpg

That's one very content lurcher.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Venus said:

Thank you Dave...That one is called Missy...I have another Lurcher (Scooby) had him since a puppy now 2 years old :-) ps my profile picture is of my last dog (Max) who sadly died of a tumour back in 2013.

Scooby 1.jpg

That's the first Scooby I've heard of, it's amazing how animation can control someone's brain when naming a pet, I know someone with two dogs called Bart and Jessica.   Max was a handsome beast.  I have two of my old dogs tattooed on my side, both were fox terriers, totally different characters.

I hope you don't go coursing for hare on the fens as my father is likely to shoot the dogs and possibly you too.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just now, TattooDave said:

That's the first Scooby I've heard of, it's amazing how animation can control someone's brain when naming a pet, I know someone with two dogs called Bart and Jessica.   Max was a handsome beast.  I have two of my old dogs tattooed on my side, both were fox terriers, totally different characters.

I hope you don't go coursing for hare on the fens as my father is likely to shoot the dogs and possibly you too.

Dave no I don't go coursing...believe me if either got hold of a hare/rabbit you will find I would probably cry LOL too soft in wanting to see anything get hurt/killed...as much as I don't like spiders? I'm still brave enough to catch them and put outdoors :) then again there is one insect I wouldn't think twice about swatting...Flies!! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Venus said:

Dave no I don't go coursing...believe me if either got hold of a hare/rabbit you will find I would probably cry LOL too soft in wanting to see anything get hurt/killed...as much as I don't like spiders? I'm still brave enough to catch them and put outdoors :) then again there is one insect I wouldn't think twice about swatting...Flies!! 

I'm the same, though I have no compunction about killing mosquitoes and clothes and food moths, they all make living in Spain a little less than idyllic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Venus said:

Thank you Dave...That one is called Missy...I have another Lurcher (Scooby) had him since a puppy now 2 years old :-) ps my profile picture is of my last dog (Max) who sadly died of a tumour back in 2013.

Scooby 1.jpg

Yep, all look lovely dogs. Once I stop neglecting myself and get some order in my life I may get a dog - wanted one for years but have to ensure that things are right. I know I would look after it better than I do myself - as I did with Little Smith, my 18 year old cat who died a few years back. A German Shepherd would be top of my list. 

Pedro

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Like to see all your dog pictures. Love the commitment  that you can give to the creatures. My mum and dad used to have cocker spaniels and my brother Jeff had a working Springer spaniel, God that was as mad as a box of frog's. I personally haven't got the time to commit to a dog, which they definitely need. So I won't have one.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Yep, all look lovely dogs. Once I stop neglecting myself and get some order in my life I may get a dog - wanted one for years but have to ensure that things are right. I know I would look after it better than I do myself - as I did with Little Smith, my 18 year old cat who died a few years back. A German Shepherd would be top of my list. 

Pedro

Peter I love German Shepherds...Max was long haired...also had a long haired White bitch as I have also had a short haired bitch...will dig photos out later as none on this new computer and your brother is very talented. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Philippe said:

They WERE Peter, I took those pictures a few years ago and now they left this world...

A last one as goal-keeper :

tyu 010.jpg

I was going say "was" - but, the fact that they're not here anymore doesnt change the fact that they are lovely! :D

I just googled that breed of dog and I think your cross breed is (was) far more handsome. Layla looks like she has a little German Shepherd in her. 

Have you got another dog now? My eighteen year old cat - Little Smith, died a few years ago and I haven't got another yet. 

Social source share

16 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Have you got another dog now? My eighteen year old cat - Little Smith, died a few years ago and I haven't got another yet. 

No Peter, now I have two lovely sisters (cats) that I already exposed here (do you remember the salamander picture ?)

In fact I prefer cats, they're more independant. Even if "You get a dog and a cat gets you"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 04/09/2016 at 11:37, TattooDave said:

A plant that I was introduced to in school, Bryophyllum daigremontianum, usually grown as a very easy houseplant, I'm trying to naturalise it in the community garden here in Spain, so far so good.

Bryophyllum parent plant.pngThis is what the plant looks like normally.

Bryophyllum close up.pngThis is a close up, showing the baby plants growing on the leaves.

Bryophyllum flower.pngThese are the flowers they produce when happy.

Bryophyllum pale form.pngThis is a pale flowered form that cropped up amongst them.

Is this the same one?

20160905_162233.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I acquired two bulbs of Amaryllis belladonna just over a year ago, it didn't flower last year, but with feeding and watering it rewarded me with one flower head this year (so far), they are commonly known as naked ladies, and for once I didn't feel uncomfortable taking a photo without asking first:wicked:.

Amaryllis belladonna.png

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I acquired two bulbs of Amaryllis belladonna just over a year ago, it didn't flower last year, but with feeding and watering it rewarded me with one flower head this year (so far), they are commonly known as naked ladies, and for once I didn't feel uncomfortable taking a photo without asking first:wicked:.

Amaryllis belladonna.png

Lovely picture Dave.  :thumbup: But I prefer real  naked ladies. Sorry just cant help it.  :ohmy:

Steve

Social source share

9 hours ago, Zed1 said:

Tell 'em you are a trainee Gynaecologist....... you've gotta' start somewhere.

Strangely, I saw a young lad wearing a tee shirt that had a slogan in Polish, I asked him what it said and straight-faced he answered, "Honestly, I'm a gynaecologist, do you mind if I have a look?", they didn't have them in Primark or I might have bought one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

An update on our Jess.

The lampshade has finally been removed and most of the stitches are gone. She looks a lot better and although she`s lost quite a large part of her upper lip, really doesn`t seem any worse for wear. 

And she`s still boring the family with her tiresome Eric Morcambe impression.

20160911_171415.jpg

20160911_171443.jpg

20160911_171521.jpg

Social source share