Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

5 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Florence, my favourite city......................must go back there! (you are right about the tourists.....sadly!) I queued for 3 hours at the Galleria dell' Accademia to see 'David'

Worth every minute!

He doesn't look a bit like me

• Helpful 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Two summers ago I started a photo project. The idea being to take photos across a year of the changing weather, light and seasons in central Aalsmeer where we live. I finished that last summer, put the project to one side and eventually forgot about it until recently. So, I spent a few hours today compiling the images and uploading it to YouTube. Have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the amount of compression YouTube has done during the upload process. The actual images - although taken on an iPad - are far superior. Hope that doesn't spoil anyone's enjoyment and that you get the gist of what I was wanted to achieve.

One important lesson I learned in doing this - next time take the pics landscape instead of portrait! :lol:

I found myself willing the trees to get their leaves back on as I felt cold seeing them leafless, the pleasures of living in a frost-free environment.  Nice job Russell!!!

Social source share

5 hours ago, TattooDave said:

I found myself willing the trees to get their leaves back on as I felt cold seeing them leafless, the pleasures of living in a frost-free environment.  Nice job Russell!!!

Got to agree - but at the same time there is some considerable charm in a wintery Netherlands. Certainly that's what the ice-skating-loving Dutch would have you believe. Brrr...

Social source share

5 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Got to agree - but at the same time there is some considerable charm in a wintery Netherlands. Certainly that's what the ice-skating-loving Dutch would have you believe. Brrr...

I used to love ice-skating too, but not the falling over and getting wet when you're a fair distance from home.  I wore socks three days last winter, and that was only during forays into the mountains.  I'll just look at wintery pictures from now on.

Social source share

1 hour ago, crazylegs said:

Lived in Amsterdam for a while. Loved the city and the springtime, hated the winter, dodged the bikes and trams to live another day!

Not been back for a while..............another one for the list of to do's!!

x

On the other side of the coin, when you're cycling around Amsterdam on your bike tourists are a major hazard. They haven't a clue. Still, tinging your bell furiously at them is great self-affirmation that you're a local.

Indeed, a lovely place in spring, summer and autumn - except for the tourist hordes. :D

Social source share

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 19:20, Russell Gilbert said:

Two summers ago I started a photo project. The idea being to take photos across a year of the changing weather, light and seasons in central Aalsmeer where we live. I finished that last summer, put the project to one side and eventually forgot about it until recently. So, I spent a few hours today compiling the images and uploading it to YouTube. Have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the amount of compression YouTube has done during the upload process. The actual images - although taken on an iPad - are far superior. Hope that doesn't spoil anyone's enjoyment and that you get the gist of what I was wanted to achieve.

One important lesson I learned in doing this - next time take the pics landscape instead of portrait! :lol:

Nice compilation Russell.  :thumbup: Love the few from January with the fog , very atmospheric.

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, martyn pitt said:

A real treat for us today at Belvide, a Gannet, only the second ever record of one for the reservoir, and seeing as we are about as far away from the sea as you can get in the UK no surprise that we only get them once in a blue moon.

It is believed this bird had been at a pool south of Worcester yesterday, so had probably followed the Severn north yesterday evening and rested over night on the reservoir.

520_025-1.jpg

520_051.jpg

Nice as always Martyn . As you say very unusual to see them inland. Hope it finds its way back out to sea, such a majestic bird

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Nice compilation Russell.  :thumbup: Love the few from January with the fog , very atmospheric.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. When it's foggy here, it's really foggy. The pics don't do it justice in may respects. Seeing the early morning mist in the Amsterdam woods when cycling back in the wee hours from a soul night is something to behold! When it's really foggy though, you can't see a blooming' thing - and for sure it's always incredibly atmospheric.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not a great photo I know but seeing as I post pics of our 2 mini Schnauzers I thought I would share a not so nice one with the group. Some things you don`t expect can just happen out of the blue.

Just to explain what happened. Jess sits at the front gate in the sun to watch the world go by sometimes she sticks her head through the gate. A chap walking his daughters Staffie came past and Jess maybe growled a little and the other dog got spooked, went for her and clamped it`s jaws tight around Jess`s face and we know the end result. Apparently the Staffie was a rescue dog which had been attacked twice recently by other dogs on the park, had no issues of similar behaviour and was possibly just defending itself.....all just very unfortunate. The girl who owned the dog came down the same evening after work in tears and has paid the quite extensive vet bill. From now on it will be muzzled at all times in public and the dog warden has been to see them. We`re happy with that. Lets face it, any dog is capable of something like this. 

It happened last Tuesday afternoon and we got her to the vets asap, just as well because any later and she would probably lost quite a lot of tissue. 47 stitches inside and outside her face, a 50 pence size piece of her top lip missing and it almost took her eye out.

Jess is doing very well, still not out of the woods yet it will be a while before she`s rid of the lampshade. Really important she doesn`t scratch the stitches out as there won`t be another chance, nothing left to stitch to!.... and she and Millee both now have kennel cough. :( Attached are the pictures taken just after the attack and then after surgery. It will be a while till she looks like a Schnauzer again :huh:

20160816_140556.jpg

20160816_140623.jpg

20160817_111924.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Not a great photo I know but seeing as I post pics of our 2 mini Schnauzers I thought I would share a not so nice one with the group. Some things you don`t expect can just happen out of the blue.

Just to explain what happened. Jess sits at the front gate in the sun to watch the world go by sometimes she sticks her head through the gate. A chap walking his daughters Staffie came past and Jess maybe growled a little and the other dog got spooked, went for her and clamped it`s jaws tight around Jess`s face and we know the end result. Apparently the Staffie was a rescue dog which had been attacked twice recently by other dogs on the park, had no issues of similar behaviour and was possibly just defending itself.....all just very unfortunate. The girl who owned the dog came down the same evening after work in tears and has paid the quite extensive vet bill. From now on it will be muzzled at all times in public and the dog warden has been to see them. We`re happy with that. Lets face it, any dog is capable of something like this. 

It happened last Tuesday afternoon and we got her to the vets asap, just as well because any later and she would probably lost quite a lot of tissue. 47 stitches inside and outside her face, a 50 pence size piece of her top lip missing and it almost took her eye out.

Jess is doing very well, still not out of the woods yet it will be a while before she`s rid of the lampshade. Really important she doesn`t scratch the stitches out as there won`t be another chance, nothing left to stitch to!.... and she and Millee both now have kennel cough. :( Attached are the pictures taken just after the attack and then after surgery. It will be a while till she looks like a Schnauzer again :huh:

20160816_140556.jpg

20160816_140623.jpg

20160817_111924.jpg

That's terrible Steve - I hope she's ok. As you say at least the owner of the offending dog did the right thing.

Bugger, that's upset me.

:(

Social source share

23 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

20160816_140556.jpg

20160816_140623.jpg

20160817_111924.jpg

Steve. That looks awful. Hope Jess gets better soon mate

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 8/22/2016 at 20:59, Steve Lane said:

20160816_140556.jpg

20160816_140623.jpg

20160817_111924.jpg

Jeez! Hope she get over it ok.

A good friend of mine who also has rescue greyhound was walking it in Lowestoft (Fully muzzled) when it started sniffing round some sort of toy dog.

The owner felt their was a threat to his dog and decided to kick the greyhound with a little bit of welly around the head area causing the muzzle to come off before you know it the grey had bitten and shook smaller dog.

After a small trial the greyhound was destroyed.

Social source share

I`ve managed ok with my lifelong drooling so she should be fine......:lol:

Thanks for all the wishes, i`ll keep you updated.

:hatsoff2:

Meanwhile, I caught this chap in the garden today..........beautiful spider about the size of a 50p

20160824_150240[1].jpg

20160824_150315[1].jpg

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Sunset about 10 minutes ago in my North Manchester back garden. Just love the way the trees pale into insignificance against the massive sky and the dramatic colour in the other picture. Nature is a special thing

Steve

IB2A6122.JPG

IB2A6117.JPG

Evening Steve

I hope all is well Sir.

Nice pictures again - it's starting to get dark really early now and there is a real wiff of Autumn in the air. Misty mornings and the scent of changing seasons on the way.

Peter

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Evening Steve

I hope all is well Sir.

Nice pictures again - it's starting to get dark really early now and there is a real wiff of Autumn in the air. Misty mornings and the scent of changing seasons on the way.

Peter

:hatsoff2:Good evening to you to my friend. Very well here thank you. Good yourself ? :thumbup:

Don't like this time of year. Nights drawing in , dark when I get up at 5am. Looking on the bright side , it's only 6 months until my favourite time of the year. Spring. Me the eternal optimist. :yes:

Steve

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

:hatsoff2:Good evening to you to my friend. Very well here thank you. Good yourself ? :thumbup:

Don't like this time of year. Nights drawing in , dark when I get up at 5am. Looking on the bright side , it's only 6 months until my favourite time of the year. Spring. Me the eternal optimist. :yes:

Steve

I'm ok thanks Steve.

You think a bit like like me - although not quite as darkly as I have my chronic mentalist issues. :rofl:

I was just thinking about the nights drawing in earlier........well, June to August went fast so we'll get through until December 22nd quick enough and then we start the countdown till Spring! All a bit mad and need to be careful not to wish one's life away though. 

Had rubbish weather the last few days too.

Peter

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I'm ok thanks Steve.

You think a bit like like me - although not quite as darkly as I have my chronic mentalist issues. :rofl:

I was just thinking about the nights drawing in earlier........well, June to August went fast so we'll get through until December 22nd quick enough and then we start the countdown till Spring! All a bit mad and need to be careful not to wish one's life away though. 

Had rubbish weather the last few days too.

Peter

Glad to hear that your well. Weather conditions in and around here have been great basically all week. Don't care about yesterday, today, tomorrow and Tuesday. Because I'm Working. But I just ordered good weather for the rest of the week until I'm back in work next Sunday. Then it can do what it wants. Ha ha. The kids are all back in school. Peace and quite when I'm out and about with the camera.

Steve

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Glad to hear that your well. Weather conditions in and around here have been great basically all week. Don't care about yesterday, today, tomorrow and Tuesday. Because I'm Working. But I just ordered good weather for the rest of the week until I'm back in work next Sunday. Then it can do what it wants. Ha ha. The kids are all back in school. Peace and quite when I'm out and about with the camera.

Steve

Sounds good mate. Enjoy.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, suzannek said:

20160829_135239.jpg20160829_135346.jpg20160829_135708.jpg20160829_135702.jpg

Suz, do you grow a lot of buddleias? I was wondering if you'd tried any of the newish davidii x globosa hybrids?  Their colours are stunning, peachy/ orange shades, but I don't know whether the butterflies like them as much.

p.s. Don't you sleep well?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Suz, do you grow a lot of buddleias? I was wondering if you'd tried any of the newish davidii x globosa hybrids?  Their colours are stunning, peachy/ orange shades, but I don't know whether the butterflies like them as much.

p.s. Don't you sleep well?

We only have two Buddleia the purple one was planted last year. The butterflies love it. We even had a Common Blue in our garden on it this year.  

Not tried those flowers no.

If I wake up early hours I have to do something then I can go back to sleep. If I don't I just lie there :D 

i loved the Commas particularly, they are uncommon up here and are very hard to photograph 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, suzannek said:

We only have two Buddleia the purple one was planted last year. The butterflies love it. We even had a Common Blue in our garden on it this year.  

Not tried those flowers no.

If I wake up early hours I have to do something then I can go back to sleep. If I don't I just lie there :D 

i loved the Commas particularly, they are uncommon up here and are very hard to photograph 

If you have any keen gardeners locally that propagate a lot of plants it might be worth checking to see if they have the Buddleia davidii x globosa hybrids as I'm sure the butterflies would enjoy them and it would give you extra colour in the garden, without you having to buy from a garden centre at an over inflated price.  I don't know what happens to the butterflies in Spain you don't see many from July onwards, probably too hot.

If I wake up early I take the dog for a long walk, then he'll sleep while I'm getting ready for work.

I don't think Commas are plentiful anywhere these days, and we don't help much.

• Helpful 1
Social source share