Show us your great photos (2016)

Amsterdam Russ

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Rick. Only ever had Li 150,s. And I haven't any pictures unfortunately. I know there is some of me from my scooter days but don't see the lads or girls that I knocked about with  very often . Only seems to be at funerals these day.

Steve

Ste I can remember you cruising around Widnes on your Lamby, usually on your way to the clinc to do a spot of fishing:D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Widnes63 said:

Ste I can remember you cruising around Widnes on your Lamby, usually on your way to the clinc to do a spot of fishing:D

Clinc, fishing what memories :yes: . Everyone said how tough and rough Ditton was but it was a great place to live and be brought up mate as you know :thumbup:

Wouldn't have changed it for the world

Ste

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Clinc, fishing what memories :yes: . Everyone said how tough and rough Ditton was but it was a great place to live and be brought up mate as you know :thumbup:

Wouldn't have changed it for the world

Ste

Ditton! I were brought up 20 feet under water in a gravel pit. Walked 22 miles to school in snow and ice with one clog between five on us...........................................................................................

Evening mate. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Ditton! I were brought up 20 feet under water in a gravel pit. Walked 22 miles to school in snow and ice with one clog between five on us...........................................................................................

Evening mate. :hatsoff2:

They've never had Water, Schools or Clogs in Ditton Pete..... although I believe a new six toed Clog shop opened there last week.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter. Gaz. How very dare you both to cast aspersions on mine and Ste. (Widnes 63 )upbringing. :P depending what way the wind was blowing our mum's would have to do the washing twice, not saying it was a dirty smelling place. We had the local tourist attraction of Ditton alps. It was the local chemical tip which bulldozers had made roads through causing cliff like side's, hence the name Ditton alps. Life in your hands wagging school on their. Didn't know what chemicals where escaping from within, regularly burnt holes through your shoes or any splashes on pants would result in a hole appearing.

Ste

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter. Gaz. How very dare you both to cast aspersions on mine and Ste. (Widnes 63 )upbringing. :P depending what way the wind was blowing our mum's would have to do the washing twice, not saying it was a dirty smelling place. We had the local tourist attraction of Ditton alps. It was the local chemical tip which bulldozers had made roads through causing cliff like side's, hence the name Ditton alps. Life in your hands wagging school on their. Didn't know what chemicals where escaping from within, regularly burnt holes through your shoes or any splashes on pants would result in a hole appearing.

Ste

It's interesting that you joke over this Ste (we do the same our side) yet I understand Halton has the highest cancer rates in Europe........ cant think why?.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, crazylegs said:

Dear Mum

What was it you said about me NOT digging in the dusty cacti garden?

P.s, before you answer that, I need to tell you that I love you and what a good boy I am.............................usually!

x

20160813_192446.jpg

20160813_192544.jpg

I hope the little chap didn't get any spines in him, cacti can be vindictive. 

Social source share

No, they are all tall and we removed all the lower spines and the shorter cacti before we bought him home from the rescue centre. (He is far too precious to be hurt)

But he just loves to dig in the white stones, usually after chasing gecko's. Which means my veggie patch remains intact!:thumbup:

x

Edited by crazylegs
Social source share

2 hours ago, crazylegs said:

No, they are all tall and we removed all the lower spines and the shorter cacti before we bought him home from the rescue centre. (He is far too precious to be hurt)

But he just loves to dig in the white stones, usually after chasing gecko's. Which means my veggie patch remains intact!:thumbup:

x

That's good, my Happy chases lizards, but knows to stay away from the cacti.

Social source share

Well its that time of the year when we sadly say goodbye to the Swifts. Always the last to arrive in the UK and the first to leave.  This year I first recorded seeing them ( 4 ) on 6th May and I saw ( 2 ) on the 15th of August, not seen any since despite spending a few hours searching the skies whenever I heard or saw Swallows or House Martins as they often fly with them.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well its that time of the year when we sadly say goodbye to the Swifts. Always the last to arrive in the UK and the first to leave.  This year I first recorded seeing them ( 4 ) on 6th May and I saw ( 2 ) on the 15th of August, not seen any since despite spending a few hours searching the skies whenever I heard or saw Swallows or House Martins as they often fly with them.

Steve

Hi Steve

Another summer almost gone - time wizzes by. :(

I always struggle to differentiate between swallows. swifts and martins. Need to read my books more.

Hope all is well mate.

Peter

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Steve

Another summer almost gone - time wizzes by. :(

I always struggle to differentiate between swallows. swifts and martins. Need to read my books more.

Hope all is well mate.

Peter

Good evening my friend . All is well thank you :hatsoff2:. Hope you're fine and dandy. :thumbup:

Easy to tell them apart. Swallows have a very long forked tail. Martin's are slightly smaller with a small v shape tail and are either blue and white, house Martin's or brown and white sand Martin,s. Swifts don't belong to the hirundine family but are similar. Much larger than all the others and brown all over, they have a very long scythe like wing shape. Hope this helps you 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

Rather sadly, the swifts in our locale departed about two weeks ago. Don't think I've ever known them to leave so early. We had a small number of swallows take their place in the skies, but in many respects that just showed they were flying further to find food as normally their domain is the nearby lake.

Wish they'd stayed because for the last week we've been absolutely plagued with mosquitos, a problem that's affecting not just us locally, but also the Netherlands as a whole thanks to what's been a rather rainy summer.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

It's the Asinelli Tower in Bologna, Peter.  At a height of 97m, it's the tallest one in the city.  The one behind it is the Garisenda Tower.  They gave up on its construction when the ground it's standing on sank.  Here's the view from the top....

FB_IMG_1471641594499.jpg

Whooa! I'm rubbish with heights! 

Thanks Steve - hope all is well. Not seen you on SS as much recently.

P

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Whooa! I'm rubbish with heights! 

Thanks Steve - hope all is well. Not seen you on SS as much recently.

P

All good thanks Peter, how's you?  Decided to retire last year and come on SS to check out the events more than anything, as I still like to venture out.  I was viewing my activity since I joined the site in 2013, and a lot of the old characters who we used to have banter with have disappeared.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

All good thanks Peter, how's you?  Decided to retire last year and come on SS to check out the events more than anything, as I still like to venture out.  I was viewing my activity since I joined the site in 2013, and a lot of the old characters who we used to have banter with have disappeared.

Good man Steve. Pleased all is well mate. i'm ok thanks - a couple of health type things going off but working my way through. You're right - lots of the old SS crew appeared to have jumped ship! 

Sending you and yours my best mate.

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

It's the Asinelli Tower in Bologna, Peter.  At a height of 97m, it's the tallest one in the city.  The one behind it is the Garisenda Tower.  They gave up on its construction when the ground it's standing on sank.  Here's the view from the top....

FB_IMG_1471641594499.jpg

Just reading John Grisham's "The Broker", partly set in Bologna and mentions them both, I'd be like Peter and look up from the streets rather than climb.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

Funny you should say that Dave.  I read The Broker many years ago, probably when it was first published, and I always fancied visiting Bologna from the descriptions he gave of the city in his book.  Very quiet this time of year, as all the students are on holiday, as are many of the locals.  A big contrast to Florence which I did on a day return yesterday.  The fast train from Bologna to Florence only takes 35 minutes.  The place was heaving with tourists.  Nice to get back to Bologna after a day there.  Impressed with all the porticos as you can walk about in the shade.  Visited the Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca, which sits on a hill 300m above Bologna.  The whole walk is covered by a portico.

FB_IMG_1471678250214.jpg

Here's the Ponte Vecchio, as seen from the Uffizi museum......

FB_IMG_1471678465638.jpg

Florence, my favourite city......................must go back there! (you are right about the tourists.....sadly!) I queued for 3 hours at the Galleria dell' Accademia to see 'David'

Worth every minute!

Edited by crazylegs
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Funny you should say that Dave.  I read The Broker many years ago, probably when it was first published, and I always fancied visiting Bologna from the descriptions he gave of the city in his book.  Very quiet this time of year, as all the students are on holiday, as are many of the locals.  A big contrast to Florence which I did on a day return yesterday.  The fast train from Bologna to Florence only takes 35 minutes.  The place was heaving with tourists.  Nice to get back to Bologna after a day there.  Impressed with all the porticos as you can walk about in the shade.  Visited the Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca, which sits on a hill 300m above Bologna.  The whole walk is covered by a portico.

FB_IMG_1471678250214.jpg

Here's the Ponte Vecchio, as seen from the Uffizi museum......

FB_IMG_1471678465638.jpg

Beautiful Steve, it's a long time since I was in Italy, maybe 20 years, I like Florence in the winter months, not so many people about.

• Helpful 1
Social source share