SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB 2016, YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT?

dthedrug

1 minute ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Know what you mean - just a bit loose I think, reminds me of Claude Huey 'Drifting' or Ozz & Sperlings 'Qualify', maybe not in that class but a cool tune all the same

Chris

Correct........not in the same class as Claude & Ozz :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

1 minute ago, Kev John said:

Double header from me again :wicked:

Hal Hardy - House Of Broken Hearts / Love Man - Hollywood

HOBH was a C/U at Stafford - Mckinley Mitchell

Enjoy !!:)

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Kev

Nearly posted this the other day.Always preferred "Love Man" but both great tunes.It was a biggie for Guy H at Stafford wasn't it?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Kev

Nearly posted this the other day.Always preferred "Love Man" but both great tunes.It was a biggie for Guy H at Stafford wasn't it?

Cheers

Martyn

Nice that i can beat you to posting Mart lol m8 

Yes it was Guy H mate but like you i do like the new breed of the tuther side 

Hope you are well m8 give my best to the missus :wink:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Kev John said:

Double header from me again :wicked:

Hal Hardy - House Of Broken Hearts / Love Man - Hollywood

HOBH was a C/U at Stafford - Mckinley Mitchell

Enjoy !!:)

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Kev Fantastic post mate H O B Hearts 100% Stafford sound and a Guy spin that sat nicely with this similar tune and one i treasure in my modest collection by Scotty Williams

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, hullsoul said:

A Stafford tune from me today,can't remember last time I heard this out?

The Citations-(To Win The Race)Keep The Faith Ballad

Last heard this Martyn Jct 17 Sandbach it was either Lenny Mellor or Chris Laven who gave it a spin they where double decking :wink:

BTW i've got it to :D

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Next up from me is a Terrific slab of soul that was introduced to me by Martyn a couple of years ago on one of his CDs he kindly sent to me.First time i heard it i had to get one but it took me a good year to nail one at the right price.Lately it seems to be rightly going up in value and i would love to hear it introduced to a classic Northern crowd it could just impress as a dancer if slotted in at the right time.Have you spun it out much Martyn ?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

Here's one I heard on a Levine Mixcloud, so I decided to dig it out.
Bill Medley What Have You Got To Lose MGM.

Enjoyed that, thanks - my kind of blue eyed soul

Came across this similar one on an IL podcast too, managed to find a cheap copy from the US after a bit of searching. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I really like it, Michael Allen 'It doesn't matter anymore' (MGM)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Came across this similar one on an IL podcast too, managed to find a cheap copy from the US after a bit of searching. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I really like it, Michael Allen 'It doesn't matter anymore' (MGM)

A Johnny Harris production too.

Johnny was born in Scotland and made his name producing and arranging albums for the likes of

Tom Jones, Englebert , Lulu and Jackie Trent in the 1960's , moving on to bigger things in the states

during the early 1970's. The move led to a lot of TV work and it's interesting to note that there's reference

to this on here.

Growing up in the 60's I don't mind a decent pop tune and you'll have to admit Chris, that Johnny Harris

is hardly in the same league, Soul wise as Rick Hall, though even he succombed to the lure of producing rock bands.

I  can listen to Ian Levine's mixes without prejudice cos I never went to the Mecca or any of his gig. Although at times seeming obsessed with rarity, he does play some nice tunes but also the odd duffer.

Thanks for sharing.

nice northern soul tunes,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Mick Sway said:

A Johnny Harris production too. Johnny was born in Scotland and made his name producing and arranging albums for the likes of Tom Jones, Englebert , Lulu and Jackie Trent in the 1960's , moving on to bigger things in the states during the early 1970's. The move led to a lot of TV work and it's interesting to note that there's reference to this on here.

Funny you should mention Lulu, I really like this one, Johnny Harris Orchestra 'Lulu's Theme' (Warner Bros) - the swinging sixties or what! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

Here's one I heard on a Levine Mixcloud, so I decided to dig it out.
Bill Medley What Have You Got To Lose MGM.

Sounds like a cross between Cajun Heart and Mike Post.

Wack it up to get that brass sounding sweet, a Rick Hall production :

Mick

New to me & liked it straight away :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Patto said:

Next up from me is a Terrific slab of soul that was introduced to me by Martyn a couple of years ago on one of his CDs he kindly sent to me.First time i heard it i had to get one but it took me a good year to nail one at the right price.Lately it seems to be rightly going up in value and i would love to hear it introduced to a classic Northern crowd it could just impress as a dancer if slotted in at the right time.Have you spun it out much Martyn ?

Patto

Played it out a few times but don't think I'd have been the first?I know Gibby took to it & played it for awhile,not sure if he still is?

Great dancer imo.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Chris

Like the production but not keen on his vocals?Might be one of those that would sound better out???

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Funny you should mention Lulu, I really like this one, Johnny Harris Orchestra 'Lulu's Theme' (Warner Bros) - the swinging sixties or what! :lol:

Chris

Now remind me why the scene was amphetamine driven..........oh that's right because everything was this pace :lol:

Love it but feel lightheaded just thinking about dancing to it,makes "Captain Of My Ship" sound like a beat ballad :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, hullsoul said:

Chris

Now remind me why the scene was amphetamine driven..........oh that's right because everything was this pace :lol:

Love it but feel lightheaded just thinking about dancing to it,makes "Captain Of My Ship" sound like a beat ballad :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

You should open with it next time you play out Martyn - imagine the reaction :D

Social source share

Here's one languishing in the bottom of the box.

I guess someone must have posted it here at some time, as it's one of those bubbler's that used to be called

a "semi-known".

I originally bought it for the B side, anyway it's the Blues Groove on Verve:

Makin it  - Latin Infused dance:

I believe in You - Xover:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoul said:

Mick

New to me & liked it straight away :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Watch out if you're thinking of getting a copy as the A side is a god awful ballad called "Gone" from an album

of the same name.

The point being that many of the demo's have "gone" on both sides.

There is one for sale here on ebay, if anyone's interested.

I havn't seen an issue of the record for sale and there are very few on Popsike.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Sway said:

Here's one languishing in the bottom of the box.

I guess someone must have posted it here at some time, as it's one of those bubbler's that used to be called

a "semi-known".

I originally bought it for the B side, anyway it's the Blues Groove on Verve:

Makin it  - Latin Infused dance:

I believe in You - Xover:

Mick

"Makin' It" all the way for me :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 16/09/2016 at 14:32, Mick Sway said:

There is one for sale here on ebay, if anyone's interested.

Bill Medley - had a go at this on ebay but was outbid, ended up $56 plus $13 post. Great tune though, top of my wants list if you happen to see another for sale. The one on ebay sounded a touch distorted so I wasn't massively disappointed, would rather have a mint one

Social source share

11 hours ago, hullsoul said:

The Singers-Just A Little Further/For Sale(One Broken Heart) Le Bam

Nice one Martyn, don;t have any info about it but like it a lot, particularly the top side.

NB. interesting when it finishes one of the suggested youtube clips is 'Cheryl Cole shows off new bum tattoo', which I couldn't help but watch :D

Social source share

11 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Another quick one from me, a real back of the cupboard find that I originally bought cheap from Rudzi in Leicester for the ballad flip 'I can't take it', and hadn't even played this side. Guess probably well known - has it been spun out much? The Orlons 'Don't you want my lovin' (Cameo Parkway):-

different, very Mod.

Nice

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Nice one Martyn, don;t have any info about it but like it a lot, particularly the top side.

NB. interesting when it finishes one of the suggested youtube clips is 'Cheryl Cole shows off new bum tattoo', which I couldn't help but watch :D

Chris

That's my boy :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!