Motown Unreleased 1965

Anybody who has followed these unreleased downloads from Motown will be pleased to see the latest , 1965, was issued yesterday.

It's very good IMHO...some offbeat stuff, some classic Motown and good covers and alternate versions.

the 2 Ivy Hunter tracks are great...

will feature some next week on my radio show....The Soulful Shack

www.fcumradio.co.uk

1.Dance Yeah Dance — Stevie Wonder
2.While The City Sleeps — Spinners
3.Til 12 O'Clock — Stevie Wonder
4.Goodbye Eilene — Shorty Long
5.My Precious Dreams — Brenda Holloway
6.Stuck-Up — Oma Heard
7.Just Your Love — Four Tops
8.What Have I Done To Myself — Brenda Holloway
9.Didn't I — The Hit Pack
10.Can't Break The Habit (Alternate Version) — Martha Reeves and The Vandellas
11.Funny (How Time Slips Away) — Stevie Wonder
12.About My Baby — Stevie Wonder
13.Stepping Closer To Your Heart — The Monitors
14.Lucky Lucky Me — Ivy Jo Hunter
15.Try A Little Tenderness — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
16.I Cried For You — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
17.I Like Everything About You (Alternate Vocal Version) — Four Tops
18.It — Little Lisa
19.My Daddy Knows Best — Little Lisa
20.It's Got To Be Love — Monitors
21.Going To A Go-Go (Alternate Version) — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
22.For Once In My Life — Connie Haines
23.Baby You Know You Ain't Right (Alternate Slow Version) — Jr. Walker & The All Stars
24.Yesterday — Chris Clark
25.Determination — Ivy Jo Hunter
26.I Got Heaven Right Here On Earth (Alternate Version) — The Temptations
27.I Don't Want You Anymore — Chris Clark
28.Can't Figure It Out — Lewis Sisters

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest johnny hart

Tuned in to "SoulFul Shack" {wasnt that a Mark Bicknell show?} Saturday 20.00hrs .; 4 or 5 Ns oldies ,Luther I, Ted Ford ,Chris Cooper, Bunny "Follow My Heart" , not heard that for years!  Then ;"Im So greatful " 4 Tops, Tempts lp version of "Hey Girl" .This guys definately better than SCD, then all very listenable,;Lou Rawls " Love is AHurting" Ikettes  "Im so Thankful",Maxine Brown Lp track,Wille Hutch, Nice new to me Billy Griffin /Miracles track very Knowledgeable trivia chat , this guys good give him a try! Lol , Johnny Hart , malaga spain

Social source share

3 hours ago, MBarrett said:

There's been a live version of Stevie Wonder Funny (How Time Slips Away) around for ever hasn't there.

Duet with Clarence Paul.

The quality isn't that good but I've always liked it.

https://youtu.be/wGvVSa-cjPw

The version on 1965 is a studio cut...the previous is a live from a Motor town revue.

It's quite good. The pairing with Clarence Paul is interesting in hindsight. I feel that Motown didn't know what to do with Stevie...it's as if they felt a young teenager should not have 'romantic' songs...his stuff after 'fingertips' and prior to ' uptight' are all dance/novelty type...as this 1965 shows.

Social source share

I was looking for records all over USA in 1964, and NEVER saw the scheduled release of "High Heel Sneakers" backed with "Funny How time Slips away".  I have only ever seen it with "Music Talk", both on DJ and store stock.  I NEVER saw the other pressing even in The Motown Record File and Jobete Music Record File.  I don't think it EVER got to the pressing stage.  I think the flip side was changed before it even got scheduled for pressing (e.g. it was only slated, and never even scheduled). 

Have any of you ever seen a scan of a pressed up Tamla 45, even WDJ?

Social source share

8 hours ago, RobbK said:

I was looking for records all over USA in 1964, and NEVER saw the scheduled release of "High Heel Sneakers" backed with "Funny How time Slips away".  I have only ever seen it with "Music Talk", both on DJ and store stock.  I NEVER saw the other pressing even in The Motown Record File and Jobete Music Record File.  I don't think it EVER got to the pressing stage.  I think the flip side was changed before it even got scheduled for pressing (e.g. it was only slated, and never even scheduled). 

Have any of you ever seen a scan of a pressed up Tamla 45, even WDJ?

It's certainly out there Rob

566d56249fb9d__57.thumb.JPG.9b0a37e3e89a

Social source share

4 hours ago, chalky said:

It's certainly out there Rob

566d56249fb9d__57.thumb.JPG.9b0a37e3e89a

Wow!!!  Even a store-stocker!!!  It was withdrawn, probably from the pressing plant or distributor, with just a few escaping at the distributor, and, possibly from a few Detroit stores that got it, similar to the situations with Oma Heard VIP, Patrice Holloway and Kim Weston's "A Little More Love".

Social source share

I had a Kim Weston stock copy. I didn't know it was anything special (the disc, not the track which is wonderful).

When I put my US Motown 45s up for auction, (and one collector got about 90% of them) I remember that the bid for my Kim Weston was way out of line from all the rest. I wasn't aware it was 'rare' as in withdrawn etc.

Social source share

really enjoying this 1965 set...most tracks do it for me.

The Shorty Long track is nice but what a weird song.....I wonder if it relates to a real life scenario?

Social source share

3 minutes ago, snakepit said:

really enjoying this 1965 set...most tracks do it for me.

The Shorty Long track is nice but what a weird song.....I wonder if it relates to a real life scenario?

I, too, like the Shorty Long cut.  I like him singing in a mellow, less Bluesy style, sometimes.  He sang a few mellow ballads while with Gwen Gordy's Tri-Phi Records.  "Going Away" is a great example.  The Hit Pack cut is also very nice, with a nice job done by lead, Robert Dobyne.  The Oma Heard cut is nice, as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert